8.1 Video corruption

This has happened to me quite a few times now since 8.1 dropped. First time was when I entered the final scenario for the new qutests (in the horde Treasury). I’ve also had it happen on the character screen, entering both the hunter and warlock class order halls, and a couple of other times.

iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2015)
4 GHz Intel Core i7
16 GB 1867 MHz DDR3
AMD Radeon R9 M395X 4096 MB
iOS 10.13.6

I wasn’t rolling, I jumped off of the platform right after depositing the orb, I’m sure you know what I’m talking about. About mid jump, as I was falling, was when it started, and it lasted a few seconds until I was clear across the room, then everything kind of switched back to normal.

I’m seeing this on zone loading into a high traffic area, or upon login load into a bank or similar. /reload clears it.

I noticed that the 8.1 patch reset my graphics settings, so I am trying to get those optimized for my playstyle and FPS tolerance. Will update if that fixes it.

Model Name: iMac
Model Identifier: iMac18,3
Processor Name: Intel Core i7
Processor Speed: 4.2 GHz
Graphics:Radeon Pro 580
VRAM (Dynamic, Max): 8192 MB
iMac: Display Type: Built-In Retina LCD
Resolution: 5120 x 2880 Retina
System Version: macOS 10.13.6 (17G65)

Hey folks,

We’ve got some people looking into this issue now. We’ve gotten some pretty good success internally from disabling the ffx settings in config.

To do this:

1. Open the Battle.net application and go to the World of Warcraft tab.
  2. Click the Options cog above the news widget, then go to Show in Finder.
  3. Open the World of Warcraft folder
  4. Open the _retail _ folder
  5. Open the WTF folder
  6. Open the Config.WTF file in this view using text editing software
  7. Add this line to the bottom of the file
    SET ffx “0”
  8. Save the file
  9. Retest

Let us know how that goes.

1 Like

I tried the above suggestion from Drak. It did not work. As I logged out of my Demon Hunter who was in Boralus, the home character selection screen was corrupted, basically looking almost like a photo negative.

That work around would only work for one of the two issues. The issue is triggered by something different on login screen. But it would prevent the issue being triggered by full screen effects like standing in bad stuff on the ground.

I would like to add that I too have experienced this issue. To note I nuked my install after the 8.1 update, and saved my retail folder. I then selectively brought over my screenshots, interface and WTF folder (didn’t want to go through the hassle of addon settings).

Don’t have access my computer right now, but I use a 2012 15” non-retina MBP. 10.13.6 (17G4015) and have the 113 version of the nvidia driver installed. 16 GB 1600 MHz ddr3, a long in the tooth 512 mb gt650m, 2 tb hybrid drive and I use an app to regulate my fan speed (max rpm usually gets me around 55-60 degree Celsius for game play outside of cities).

I play at 30fps foreground with 8fps when tabbed out, vertical sync on, slider set to 1, sound effects to lowest, windowed “fullscreen” and with about 100 mb addon load. I use 100% render near the beginning of my WoW binges, and then shift to 50% or even 33% whenever I have to stay in boralus or large grouped content for a bit. Solo play and most of the game up to about WoD works well at 100%. Anyway, this weekend I encountered this phenomenon in two circumstances: within cities like boralus and legion dalaran, and on the character select screen. I haven’t encountered a graphical glitch like this since maybe MoP? However before it started to happen I noticed that certain textures in the overworld began to not render properly or were unusually fuzzy (rapid vibration as well). Got me fearful that I was going to break my already pathetic computer so I opted turn off almost all of my addons. Didn’t help. Additionally after having played for what was probably 8 or more hours, I noticed that the application itself would begin to demonstrate graphical tear on my desktop. E.g, whenever I was letting safari become unminimized from the dock or when I minimized WoW itself.

No spike in cpu usage at the time from what I can remember. I have meters on the menu bar but they could have been bugged out when this was happening. Overall that got me worried as I mentioned and then I opted to just revert to the standard macOS video drivers as I have used for long time. I used to use the nvidia drivers back with El Capitan but for some reason my computer would regularly suffer kernel panics during 7.0 and with Sierra whenever I played WoW or used safari (never saw it happen with Firefox or iTunes for example). I need to check my installation history because I believe that I may have tried one or two more times with the web ready drivers near the end of Sierra or sometime well into 7.3’s lifecycle. But I always uninstalled it again because the same panic issue. So that’s why I am but apprehensive to continue using the nvidia. I will say that that hadn’t happen so far for me for the about 3 weeks? of having drivers installed for a version of 10.13.6. But that could be because I have a program that can control fan speed now unlike what I had for years since I got this laptop. I always used a high speed fan behind it to help cool it off, works pretty well. Which could have been the issue before but that still doesn’t explain safari.

On Sunday, I played without the drivers but I don’t think I played as long or as continuous as I did on Saturday. So I can’t say that both days were comparable.

Again even though I probably have the worst computer here, I not once experienced such behavior with 8.0. BfA does run a lot smoother and even on my potato the graphics look way better than the minimum I had set during legion. Looks comparable to about the 3 to 4 setting I used during MoP and WoD.

If this one thing were to get fixed I would be pretty happy.

Thanks for the suggestion. I’ll give this a try, but I don’t understand how this would impact the loading screen. I’ll follow up if/when it reoccurs. Since I only see the corruption intermittantly, it might take a day or two.

It won’t. it’ll only work around the full screen effect cause of it. But that’s one harder to get rid of anyways. char select you just click another char then click back. the FFX one often required a UI reload or at very least /console gxRestart to get rid of.