4k setup question

Running 10105f, rx 580 system. Which upgrade would be more significant if i wanted to run uhd… processor of video card?

1 Like

Whats the rest of your system like? Depends what games you’re looking to play as well.

A GPU upgrade would make slightly more sense but they’re both sluggish for 4k.

1 Like

I just hear how WoW loves cpu’s.

WoW loves CPUs, but if you’re CPU bound, it would show up at 1080p as well as 4k.

Jumping up in resolution tends to increase the load on the GPU more than the load on the CPU.

Edit: just checked in Valdrakken on my setup (RTX 4080 and Ryzen 7800x3d), swapping from 4k to 1080p CPU busy did not change, and GPU busy dropped by a lot.

1 Like

I have no issues at 1080p. I just happened to pull the trigger on a uhd open box.

Again I would emphasize on the knowing the rest of your system.

If you’re willing to dive into the used market for some parts, you can easliy find am4 platform w/ a x3d upgrade for sub 300 and anything above at or above 3070/6700xt ballpark even for 4k would be sufficient for you.

1 Like

Would an A770 be a good compromise??

If your CPU is not limiting you at 1080P, it won’t limit you in 4k.

It would be a noticeable step down from a 3070 or 6700xt. If you play other games than wow, and you want high graphics at 4k, you’ll want to just get the highest end GPU you can find and afford.

I use an RTX 4080 (top 4 card, can trade blows with the 7900XTX), and some games require DLSS to be playable at 4k.

1 Like

I don’t and won’t.

Not a big fan of the Intel ARC series cause its new and seems to be very lack luster.

A mid/high tier gpu then x3d cpu would be my suggestion for you. The GPU will help with some nicer eye candy for the higher resolution, but the x3d chips will smooth out fps dips when you’re in busier situations. Of course going with the x3d chips you’ll have to fork over more money.

Double check your Power Supply before going out to purchase though.

If you’re willing to go used, you can get a rtx 3080 for 350-400 ballpark and 3070 for 250-300ish.

The sales with the 7900 GRE seems to be a good buy if you’re willing to put out about $500 and want new.

Though just fair warning. Awhile I never had any issues with my 7900xtx when I had it, seems like there is an uproar with AMD GPUs based on this thread.

1 Like

The nvidia 5 series is currently releasing.

Might be worth waiting to see how that affects the market.

1 Like

The earliest I’m seeing is Q4 of this year, and that’s only expected to be the 5080 and/or the 5090.

1 Like

Yes, and nvda claims they are switching to a 1 year cadence. So who knows what that will mean. Probably enterprise ai focus, maybe some consumer trickle. Hopefully.

Depending on pricing, the 5060-70’s could be worth waiting for early next year.

If not in a hurry, I would wait to invest.

My advice is to stay away from entirely 4k unless you basically dont have a budget. to do 4k RIGHT you really want to go OLED. Nothing about doing so is cheap. Im a 4k OLED gamer myself.

Focus on 1440p unless you have the “I dont really have a budget I just just want to do 4k right” mentality. Based off your OP that is not the case. Stick to 1440p. As for wow it self its more of a CPU game than a GPU game

Agree with Capslock. WoW is 100% a CPU game and unlike most games your CPU matters A LOT even at 4k. At 4k in non MMO its games its all about your GPU.

The best CPU in WoW is the 7800x3D due to the x3D cache. Yes even at 4k. In WoW or just about any other MMO; a 7800x3D with 6000mhz RAM would basically the same as running a 14900k with 8600mhz Memory which isnt possible but you would need RAM speed that fast to put your self on par with the stacked 3D Cache.

Here is here is an example I did myself. Same GPU on Both rigs @ 4k max settings. Both toons right next to each other in Valdraken. This was Valdraken on Area52 at prime time. So very populated

Comparing the top 2 Gaming CPUs for Reference
14900k with 7800mhz Ram
i.imgur .com/lKW2ci7.jpg

7950x3D with 6000mhz Ram
i.imgur .com/lXaRYXC.png

Its pretty close between the two in Valdraken but outside Valdraken its a night and day difference. Valdraken FPS will compare to raid/group content FPS. Which is why I tested both there

Op already purchased the 4k monitor
You don’t need oled.

You don’t need a crazy budget for WoW even at 4k.

Not everyone need enthusiast level hardware. Agreed that the x3d chips should be on OP radar if they intend to focus on WoW

3 Likes

This was more my point.

I was also recommending to stay away from 4k as in possibly return it for 1440p. To me unless you are going OLED 4k isn’t worth the hefty price tag. So I hope my point wasn’t misunderstood.

This is VERY simple actually. You just need to monitor your GPU usage while you game.

If you have a 2nd monitor, then this could be as simple as keeping Task Manager up on your 2nd monitor. Otherwise there are other apps like MSI Afterburner that can allow you to monitor your GPU usage in-game.

Any time your GPU usage is at 100%, then your GPU is holding you back.

If your GPU is not at 100%, then it’s the CPU and/or limitations of the game engine that are holding you back.

If your GPU usage is never hitting 100%, then upgrading your GPU would be like flushing money down the toilet.

1 Like

A more accurate statement would be ‘wow likes a single core/thread of your cpu’.

Your little i3 actually turbos up to 4.4ghz.

Upgrading the cpu will have much less performance impact than the gpu.

Was true when amd and intel had equal cache and why shiftydruid in the past had a lot of success with intel + fast ram.

The x3d chips changed the game a bit and everything pales in comparison now.

This is almost like when intel sandy bridge was introduced against the phenom chips back in the mid/late 2000s

Depending on what content OP plays, I can see the extra stress of 4k beating down their current cpu pretty heavily.

1 Like

I may be misunderstanding here.

Are you saying that a 7800x3d system with an Rx 580 would significantly outperform what he is currently using?