3950x is out... And the tech YouTubers are amazed at performance

TLDR: Intel’s HEDT is now obsolete :rofl:

Best ryzen chip to exist, literally best choice for budget workstation and still have top gaming performance

Literally at spitting distance of a 9900k :rofl:

If Intel does not figure a way to get 10nm out by next year (cough cough 14nm++++++++ recycle chips in 2020 :rofl: )

4th gen Ryzen will take over

Edit:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/dw9xf3/anandtech_the_amd_ryzen_9_3950x_review_16_cores/

Anandtech listed the 3950x as the best price/, performance ratio, dethroned the 9900ks and 3900x

4 Likes

Oh look, You is plugging AMD again, nice to see things don’t change around here lol

3 Likes

Making Intel lower their price? Great
Waiting months for AMD to resolve their issues…yeah I rather pay the extra money…

I guess for $750 its a great content creator chip, but lets see if the firmware is up to snuff.

6 Likes

User errors aren’t AMD issues. AMD nor Intel nor Nvidia can fix stupid.

I don’t see how it’s user errors if bios were release to resolve things that included clock speeds not hitting advertise speeds or having to run a special profile in order to function correctly.

Intel is just a much more mature platform atm despite its flaws and tends to be more plug and play.

But you can play the white knight if you choose to. I’m pretty sure in less than five years AMD chips will be nearly flawless awhile competing with intel.

5 Likes

Careful, you’ll upset the AMD fan boys with talk like that.

I’ve never owned or built a super high end PC, but the prices on the 3950 sure make it tempting. Even if you splurge for nicer parts (Pro instead of Evo SSDs, higher end mobos, etc) you can build one hell of a 16-core system for around or under $1.5k (no GPU) which is a bit pricy but still reasonable for a machine that you’ll be using for 5+ years. Between the CPU and LGA2066 mobo the closest Intel equivalent is going to be at least $1k extra or even more depending on the parts you select.

My builds have always been Intel but I’d be willing to deal with temporary teething issues for that kind of margin.

Okay now recommend me a MB, chip, ram combo that will work OTB as adevertised with no bios updated, weird bios settings or other junk.

What special profile are you talking about?

Intel is facing repeated security patch slowdowns, had hyperthreading problems (basic function of the CPU) and OOB problems. Just because no writes articles about it doesn’t mean Intel doesn’t have it’s share of problems.
I do agree, Intel makes their products more stupid proof at the cost of less tweaking ability.

Calling out people blaming companies rather than their own researching skills is hardly a ‘white knight’. AMD and Intel are x86 chips. Both have problems. AMD fanbois and Intel fanbois can defend their tech all they want. Neither is flawless.

They work OTB at stock just like Intel setups. It’s when you start OCing you run into major problems for the reason people keep telling you: Intel and AMD do not overclock the same way.

Referring to the AMD power plan, yes to be fair it is phasing out.

I was hoping when I said “Despite Intel’s flaw” it would be enough to say yes Intel isn’t perfect and it has design flaws. But at the very least we can agree that intel is slightly more user friendly.

The main point I was trying to make is right now, if you choose Ryzen as your platform, be prepare to pay the early adopter tax (Be it AMD’s fault or the chosen software not yet stable with AMD). For the time being Intel will be the more user friendly choice even with the slew of defects that is being or has been discovered.

My 9900k is now 2 month old. It has been overclocked since then at 5ghz all core. It was stable in terms of temp and voltage (Stress Test+Gaming).

But today, i wasnt able to boot (Cpu+Ram Indicators). I had to reset the BIOS.

Any ideas?

Is it?

Both have their pros and cons but Intel isn’t immune to flawless even though many (including here) want to tell new builders they are

1 Like

You never had to set AMD power plans for Ryzen. That’s what the whole ‘sea of sensors’ BS from AMD’s marketing. It’ll optimize it for you better than what most humans can do manually. Power plans are useful for Intel.

User friendly and in the past it was more polished on release. AMD is polished after release. Neither are bad, neither are without their problems.

I would have agreed with you even a month ago. That’s no longer the case. Even for people like Ziryus, who can figure our how click the ‘update BIOS’ icon, microcode updates fixed issues.

Right now for Ryzen 1K and 2K you’re solid out of the box. Ryzen 3K you can get better faster boot with 1004B. Everything else is fixed for you via microcode updates and you’ll have to just enable auto update for Windows or Linux.

Intel tries to hide some of the complexities of tech from it’s users’. The problem is when you have those same uneducated users trying to tweak something else (AMD, ARM, Mac) etc. Instead of learning they’ll blame what they don’t understand and most people never read manuals.

Don’t you have to go with an X570 board to get true plug and play? From what I read X470 boards need to have their BIOSes updated in order to use newer Ryzen chips, with a handful of boards supporting no-CPU updates but many needing a loaner CPU (which AMD will provide for you if you need it).

Wouldn’t be fair to compare a x570 and a x470 board.

Did “You” just cherry pick an outlier with the 9900k? Highly doubt that was a common problem especially since it was 10month ago.

That’s with any mobo. The x470 and x370 existed before Ryzen 3000. That’s the same problem people had with Intel 9000 series chips when mobo upgrades were still possible.

Ahh fair. I guess I never really noticed with Intel because I never bothered with guides and just bought whatever the current round of boards was. A lot of AMD build guides pair the 3600(X) with inexpensive 4xx boards like the MSI B450 Gaming Pro Carbon.

Recently Intel forced a mobo upgrade in addition to CPU upgrades in on-Asian markets. A B150M-A D3 for example will take ancient DDR3 that will run new Skylake.

Intel chose to force people to get new mobos and CPUs for more profit. It also helped reduce the headache from mobo manufactures to have to deal with similar problems as AMD did with their ‘keep your mobo forever’ stance.

New AMD boards do have advantages but it’s mostly for extra features (eg PCIe 4.0 etc). Still not worth it over the older mobos imo.

Maybe some of the issue lies with the MB manufacturers as well and maybe if AMD made their own MB’s as well as the chips there wouldn’t be so many issue. But that’s not the case and for awhile AMD just had more weird issues than intel did, maybe that’ll change soon?

We’ll see but as an end user yes I expect my components to work OTB without having to tweak weird settings or do a bios update.

This is the part you fail to understand: it already works OTB at stock. Problems with both platforms are when you start OCing or tweaking. OCing is not guaranteed at all.

If you’re going to pair a new Intel 9900K or AMD 3900X with a 2-3 year old mobo then a BIOS updated is required. Mobo vendors can’t predict what will happen 2-3 years in the future. That’s just common sense.

It’s almost if there was necessary BIOS updates for z170 owners

They forget that you need a Skylake CPU to get kaby lake working on z170s but so focused on why x470s need updates for 3000 series :thinking: