3950x is out... And the tech YouTubers are amazed at performance

Why is everyone ipset by bios updates its not 2004 you just download a program click a button and its done. Either intel or amd are a fine choice unless you need do workstation type activities them AMD has a price to performance advantage. But for youtube and gaming get middle of the line out more in your graphics card.

1 Like

I’m not upset by BIOS updates, but they can certainly be an inconvenience if you’re building a system from scratch with how only some mobo vendors support BIOS updates in the absence of a CPU. In my case I’d need to use AMD’s loaner program or order a second older CPU only for BIOS flashing and return it after building.

That’s why you ask in person at microcenter/Fry’s if said motherboard has latest updates

By now most b450s/x470s will say “Ryzen 3rd gen supported” on the box

If not ask microcenter people to update it for you, they will do it

But Newegg/Amazon you don’t Know if they do or not so it’s 50/50

Sadly no Microcenter here and the closest Fry’s is like an hour+ drive away and is almost entirely empty. If you want computer parts the only practical option is online retailers.

Well when you recycle the same node for 4 generations, no bios updates are necessary.

1 Like

Yes, that’s the point, one of the advantages of using a mature platform is that it is more likely to be stable.

And ryzen is sounding better and better than it did in earlier gens.

And now they will do it for the 5th time with comet lake, but this time a new motherboard and no backwards compatible with z390s :rofl:

1 Like

That’s all fine and good, but the real question is, does it have ray tracing?

I don’t know much about computers and video game performance but I know that all the best CPUs in the market have at least 8 cores now and World of Warcraft is not a multi-core workload it is a SINGLE core workload that only recently allows other cores to support that single core that is holding the entire game on it’s shoulders but if you can view your CPU core temperatures when you are runing WoW, you will see the temperature of a single core skyrocket and maybe 2 others go up a little bit, particularly when you play the game on max settings.

Now I have 1080 graphics card and the game still recommends only 7 for me instead of the max 10, not because my 1080 isn’t good enough for ultra settings, it’s because my 4.0gHz CPU with 8 cores is only really using 1 of those cores to run wow even with the new directx update that introduced multithread “support” its still basically a single core workload so I dont see how anything has changed.

1 Like

WoW has always been pretty single core heavy but WoW isn’t the only game people play. In my opinion an i7 8700k or r5 3600 should be the bare minimum for a mid range pc in 2019.

i5 9400f and i5 9600k are already displaying low minimum fps in quite a few new titles.

People post here all the time looking for WoW-only builds

Oh boy here comes griefs assuming every person posting here plays WoW only

Doesn’t understand that no one plays WoW forever, regardless if they say WoW is their only game. There’s always a new game any gamer will discover and play

And when they discover their $400-$500 build that got recommended by some people here and works great for WoW won’t work well on Jedi Fallen Order, Shadow of the Tomb Raider, or whatever is new, they will be upset

2 Likes

Then we should recommend an i3 8350k and call it a day.

That would be a more reasonable recommendation than a 16 core CPU

Fair enough, i wouldn’t recommend an r9 3950x for WoW either. Something like an i7 8700k, i7 9700k, or i9 9900k would make more sense. For amd it would be r5 3600 and above.

1 Like

Imagine thinking my thread was telling new people to pay $750 to play WoW, that wasn’t the point in my first post at all

Agreed. You work within the constraints of budget, needs, and future-proofing. For a WoW-only build, frequency becomes even more important than it already is for gaming in general. And when people say they only play WoW, I’m inclined to believe them. I’ve met lots of people who exclusively or almost exclusively play this game.

Well my biggest issue with the i5’s are the low minimums. Also WoW has been out forever, don’t know if it will be around in the same state 3 years from now. Classic WoW absolutely had a huge impact on subscrption numbers. What does that say about the current expansion?

Also if Intel released 6 core 12 thread i5’s next year, i’ll recommend them too. As of right now, i just can’t recommend 6 cores 6 threads.

I just thought the off-topic gaming and hardware wow forum would still come back to wow as far as relativity and context to the original post. I guess I just didn’t know this was supposed to be a safe space to just openly shill Ryzen CPUs and that was that.

His sense of value comes from people’s opinion of AMD. It’s sad. Don’t take it personally.

2 Likes