It took almost 4 months for Blizzard to explain Island Expeditions

They can drop pets mounts transmog items and such. I don’t find them very much fun but I do run them sometimes with a group of friends.

2 Likes

expeditions and warfronts are some kind of cruel joke

this is video game content in 2018? free facebook games are more appealing than this.

3 Likes

It’s not designed for the players. It’s designed for the stockholders. RNG, timegating, everything to keep people subbed as long as possible.

11 Likes

Yeah, that’s how it is right now. Which is why people get kicked for trying to win. Which is what I suspect is the reasoning behind the changes they’re implementing. If it works.

I like that better to be honest. Only reason I did them was for the drake and soon the one they are adding. I suppose upgrading armor is good too, but I have found almost on queue, once I cap my armor a new one slightly better drops in the Warfront.

There can be some fun when things are a bit more mysterious but we agree that we didn’t hit that mark exactly and so we are making some changes. As much as we’d like to be able to solve problems right away, sometimes we need to review what people are saying, compare to how they are playing, and from there we can make more informed decisions on changes.

Obviously we hope it feels like an improvement, especially for the collectors out there but as usual, we will then see how these play out and go from there. We do appreciate the feedback!

26 Likes

Why can’t islands just drop loot normally? If I kill a mob it drops a rare toy… I loot it off it’s body.

The cause and effect was what is broken about islands. The AHOY island expedition addon actually made this work a lot better, by re-linking the cause and effect relationship… If I want this, this mob drops it.

6 Likes

In Normal/Heroic mode, I feel like things are just starting to get interesting and then BAM! capped and the mission is ended. Even with farming the enemy team, I feel like we really don’t get to see the “final form” of the expedition.

Is this by design?

Is part of the incentive for mythic/pvp mode intended to be a “reward” in the form of more chances at the cooler invasions?

6 Likes

They didn’t tell you because they didn’t want you to game the system.

So they changed the system, because the incentives were messed up.

This isn’t interesting news and Blizzard doesn’t just reveal strategies for the game. It’s a game, remember?

3 Likes

“Didn’t hit the mark exactly” is the problem lately. You missed the whole target and were using a potato instead of an arrow. Blizzard creates their own problems and then doubles down on the problem out of arrogance and an inability to listen and evaluate player criticisms.

My sub expires on January 9th, and I MAY come back sometime after 8.2 if there is a reason for me to play.

20 Likes

Maybe someday they’ll explain exactly how PvP ilvl scaling works!

4 Likes

Another major problem with Islands, and I say this as a player that actually enjoys islands, is that the event triggers way too late to be meaningful.

Too many times the invasion occurs when the island is nearly over and after killing a single invasion rare the match ends before the team can even loot the chest by that rare.

Start the invasion at 50% or even 40% completion so that we can actually experience it.

22 Likes

Man it’s about time Blizzard starts fixing this content. With all the bugs and glitches it felt like they did not even beta test it.

3 Likes

This is so true. The event needs to be the second thing that triggers. Leave the azerite elemental (which is boring and always the same) until last.

4 Likes

This is pretty low for them I think. They intentionally left the mechanics all cryptic because not getting the desired loot would squeeze more attempts and subscriptions in the process I’d imagine.

4 Likes

It’s not low. It’s utterly normal to not reveal how everything works.

3 Likes

For most of the past 14 years I’ve felt that Blizzard was smarter than me. Not necessarily in making a game for my tastes personally, but in understanding a wide and diverse audience and finding reasonable courses of action for the greater good.

This fiasco and too many others are starting to change my opinion, and as someone with experience in running teams and development projects, I’m really curious about what’s going on culturally and with their design and release process. How are all these decisions that confuse, alienate, frustrate, and turn off players getting out the door and then detected/understood/fixed only months later?!?

I feel like years from now there will be a case study on this chapter of Blizzard’s history at some business school, but it will take a long time for all the facts to come out.

10 Likes

And who said they had to at all? There’s nothing wrong with a little mystery in a video game

1 Like

So, if I’m reading that thread correctly, instead of targeting “X mob” to get a chance at “Y item” now the whole thing is completely RNG?

If that’s the case I’m a little unhappy with that change. I’m really starting to dislike how they keep finding more and more ways to incorporate RNG into the game.

6 Likes

Context and audience expectations have a lot to do with that. Mystery in a single player immersive story game is fantastic, while suddenly inserting new mechanics into say a FPS shooter that are so obtuse they basically make your rifle feel broken are not.

Tastes may vary but I think the evidence is clear at this point that to too many players, islands felt more like the latter than the former. They felt broken, so they effectively were broken. Further more, since they must be done in groups, and are timed, the chance of any one player getting to explore and investigate is unrealistic.

6 Likes