2H vs Sword/Shield Tanking

How do you mitigate damage better than me ? I have shield too you know. I mitigate more damage than you because the dps can output more damage so fights are faster and I take less damage .

I win , go back to brd please and learn.

1 Like

Which means you failed in your job of holding aggro. You can’t tank.

No. Now that you’ve put on training wheels you are failing to mitigate damage. You still can’t tank.

Still waiting for you to post a vid of you soloing 2 elite dwarves. Prove that you can mitigate damage.

I have 382 def btw. Obviously I’ve been outside of brd

whats your fastest kill time on Rattlegore ? Also I wouldn’t waste my time going to BRD , thats like a newbie dungeon lol.

You have deadly boss mods addon right ?

So you can’t solo two elite dwarves. You can’t tank. You’re a dps who wants to be a tank, but isn’t good enough to be one

1 Like

No, i mitigated too much as prot and had no rage to keep constantly building aggro, so dps would pull. Now I’m at a spot where dps can go full out.
I’ve main tanked up to Rag with this build because only other fury prot warriors can generate enough aggro fast enough to let dps go hard and fast. If our prot warrior didn’t have more FR than me i would have tanked that just fine too. Instead we throttled our dps a little and I offtanked.
I too used to think full prot was the only way. My healers and dps did too. Then i switched. Now they get mad with other tanks.

1 Like

So you’re bad

2 Likes

the threat you generate is lower in earlier levels so its better (threat wise) to use 2h swords, level 50+ dw becomes a bit better (hit gear) but 1h/shield is a lot safer.
Now if the tank wants to do a dungeon with 2h and is wearing cloth/leather he is pretty bad and you shouldn’t group with him if you don’t want to suffer.
As a tank you should always know about people limits, you don’t pull 5 + mobs if the healer is only using fast heals…is more about common sense than who is worse…

1 Like

Im so glad there are good tanks posting here . I thought to myself maybe Im wrong and full protection is better for threat . But I’ve spent so much gold on respec trying different things to hold threat better and I think Im in a good place which can only improve with even better gear now .

31 arms with defiance is probably the best for generating AOE threat but for bosses I believe fury/prot is far superior .

Each spec has its pros and cons , like fury prot doesnt have tactical mastery so

#showtooltip Berserker Rage
/cast Berserker Stance
/cast Berserker Rage

then

#showtooltip Bloodrage
/cast Defensive Stance
/cast Bloodrage
/startattack

Then BR + DS - then sunder . Then when rage starts going nuts as it does with this spec , Revenge + Sunder + Bloodthirst + Heroic Strike .

if I do a LOS pull … if I charge in I wil dump rage on thunderclap , however I wonder if Battle Rage or Demo shout is better. Not sure about that, Thunder clap only effects 4 targets . If you have 5 targets then you have a problem right away . Im also not sure if threat from BR and Demo is greater when in defense stance vs other stances.

1 Like

I miss when i was sweeping strikes tanking. Aoe initial threat was amazing as hell. Fury prot is insanely great on single target. Pure prot lags on threat but has a little more mitigation. Bad tanks not using shields ever is the reason this bad rep is coming. Also under geared tanks.

shield slam + 10% 1h dmg is all protection has going for it vs 32 fury 19 protection

because you dot everything up before i can get sunders on it…

In all seriousness, you dont really need a shield outside of trash probably till 50s… It is very hard to get rage at lower levels.

D stance, big ol 2 hander = fantastic threat.

1 Like

It doesn’t seem complicated to me. If you want to tank dungeons, 15-20 into prot to get the key mitigation talents, especially Imp Shield Block so you can push crushing blows off the table when you need to. The rest go wherever you want. You have lots of talent flexibility in Classic.

If you’re taking a lot of damage you want to swap in your shield and spam SB. You would put on your shield either because your incoming damage could kill you or because your healer’s drinking too much and slowing down the run.

If you have none of the above problems then you want to be using 2H/DW to kill stuff faster and bank more rage for the next pull.

Once you overgear the content you can drop the points in prot.

Gear-wise, when you ding 60 you want to go for tank BiS, but as your gear improves you can gradually swap them out for DPS gear.

I don’t see what’s hard. This is not super different from where the thinking was at the end of Vanilla. What’s interesting to me is that for a 15 year old game there are a lot of people who don’t know it (including a lot of guide writers).

1 Like

Some guy posted a video showing how good shield block is and now he thinks deep prot is the only spec worth using . I tried to tell him that fury/prot or arms/prot is just as useful if not better for holding threat.

Alot depends on the other 4 people in group as well . I do feel fury relies on a bit of RNG to work well to activate flurry

Never said that. Only said if you can’t hold aggro with a shield you’re bad

bet I know a ton of dps that can pull agro off you without even trying.

I bet I can pull agro off you easily too .

You actually made claims about the mitigation, but okay.

You on HS? let’s test. I guarantee you can’t pull aggro off me without taunt, mocking blow, or challenging shout

Unlucky different servers , wouldve made a funny video . If both warriors start fight at same time who do you think is going to hold agro ? no taunts allowed ?

Edit : would probably need to use taunt tho to get hit to keep building up rage . But once I get threat , you wont get it back unless you taunt

I’m the tank in this situation and you’re the dps. I get to use taunt.