Monks! Are you fun?

I used to really enjoy WW but sadly not so much anymore. I feel like they keep slowing down the pacing of it. I still miss tigerseye brew as a baseline in our kit as well. It was best in MoP to me and still pretty fun in WoD but after Legion idk… lol.

3 Likes

I’ve only played MW so far this xpac, but I love it. I complete WQ fast enough and almost all content wants a MW as healer. I love rolling in and DPSing for a decent amount and in the Open World, Way of the Crane is amazing.

MW is a ton of fun. I didnt need to roll multiple healers to keep enjoying myself because MW monk was/is so fun.

I think monks are the most fun class. MW is super mobile and does exceptional healing right now. WW is fun, but I don’t really like touch of death or karma. I wish they’d move WW dps off of those cooldowns and focus more on the rotational abilities.

1 Like

I love playing Mistweaver. I enjoy the mobility, the animations, and our healing kit. I switched my main to Mistweaver for BfA because I enjoy it that much and I really am happy with the changes we received for BfA.

Windwalker to me right now is just ok. It feels awkward to play and I don’t really enjoy the fact that we have to stand in stuff to take damage to do decent dps, lol. Probably just the healer in me that finds that annoying though. I do enjoy the mobility of the class and I hope things get better for it.

It’s definitely a fun class to play still in all three specs.

Not sure if it will be making it into 8.1 but I know there were some talks about revisiting some of the defensive cooldowns with damage components being used offensively. I know we mentioned this in the last AMA that that’s a kind of mindset we don’t want players to feel forced to do to add to their damage, rather than using it for personal survivability.

8 Likes

That is way to broad of a statement to even be close to accurate. I won’t speak for MW or Brew, but WW isn’t fun. The game, the content, the whatever might be fun, but the spec isn’t. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XQb9plOtIvI
WW was equally unplayable in that video as they are now. The spec was enjoyable despite that in mop.

Onto the topic of the AMA. Any defensive ability, can be used offensively. It has been this way since the dawn of wow. Using a defensive, to mitigate the risk of a situation, to allow yourself to be offensive without being as punished, has been happening since vanilla.

That statement is as useless as stating “yes a spec does damage, so we’re looking at damage”. I’m far more jaded than most people here, but if you’re going to post, post something useful. I’ve seen threads deleted with more beneficial information than this one.

9 Likes

I believe it more like the old warrior berserker rage giving rage on damage taken so they would stand in fire to do more dmg mentality. They dont want you to purposely take damage to do damage. The goal should be avoiding it and saving defensives for oh sh!t and unavoidable damage moments rather than part of your rotation.

I think WW will be fun in 8.1. They are nerfing Touch of Death, and redesigning good karma. The spec is getting a good baseline bump because of this which will be quite nice and help shift the gameplay away from “stand in crap to take a lot of damage so you can do damage” and actually being able to do damage without cooldowns.

The new Azerite traits are decent I think also. They are also getting a large PvP talent revamp which looks mostly good.

I would add the GCD change still feels pretty awkward though. You have Storm, Earth, Fire. Touch of Death. Xuen (if talented), all while trying to generate chi and actually use abilities. That doesn’t feel so great.

Unfortunately there are many other classes that need this level of changes that are not getting it.

I leveled as a WW and did a decent amount of BG’s and gearing and even some Mythic Uldir as a WW. I felt the damage was mediocre at best, and as varrow stated, the GCD on skills that are used in combination with other skills really hurts your damage potential. With all damage cooldowns being 1.5-2.5 minutes, you only have burst with minimal sustained damage, so it’s important to squeeze out every bit of dmg you can during your burst. However, half of your burst potential is spent waiting on GCD’s to allow you to press the next button. WW is all around in a miserable spot. The decent azerite traits for the class were nerfed by half. Maybe 8.1 will be generous to the class, but no love from me until then.

Brewmaster is pretty fun to me. I feel like stagger maintenance if a cool mechanic in raid. Compared to other tanks, I feel like it requires a decent amount of skill. However the BM lack of self sustain is pretty evident and the weakness to magic damage is crippling in pve and pvp. Thankfully a few gearing tweaks have made BM a bit more playable as far as sustain goes, but that will likely change through course of the xpac, especially without talents or abilities [outside of healing elixir (which actually only heals for half of what every other class’s sustain does)] to support it.

I have yet to play MW, but they are always in high demand. If you don’t play MW, people will not do pvp with you as a monk

We are very fun compared to most specs atm.

I find MW fun in dungeons, not so much in raids, I think mainly because too much of the healing comes form Essence Font, I’d like it a bit more balanced across other spells.

I like WW play-style too, one of my favorite DPS specs to play but it definitely has some issues like some other people pointed out: Karma should be a defensive not part of the DPS rotation, too much damage coming form Touch of Death, re-balancing those to be less % of the damage and buffing everything else could probably fix it… Also agree with the GCD thing, I find it alright to have it on SeF but having it also in ToD and Xuen makes using CDs feel clunky, this should never be the case, using CDs should always be a “high” point when playing your class.

I don’t play BM so don’t know about that one, I like having them as tanks though.

Important to note… all of this is from a PvE perspective.

I love WW, and I’m of the sacrilegious opinion that karma is fun in its current iteration. I’ve played a long time an no ability has ever been similar on any of the specs. I enjoy trying to figure out when to use it and not die in the process. That aside I enjoy the rotation and we do decent numbers. The one shortfall is how unforgiving our damage output is if we miss our burst window for mechanics ect.

MW is good too, I mained druid for every expansion prior to this just for resto and I can say I have almost as much fun on MW. I also like how you can have a choice between healing styles (tank heal vs spread) where as druid usually was the latter. Tanking I am still trying to figure out so I can’t comment on it too much.

I think you’re the first person I’ve seen complain about higher ilvl gear being better. :wink:

I do miss mobile Soothing Mist, but with Essence Font being castable while moving, the spec is still incredibly mobile. Mistweaver is OP right now, so plenty of people enjoying crushing the meters and carrying groups. Personally, I think the Vivify and Mastery interactions create a great depth of play, but the passivity of Essence Font and Renewing Mist make it too boring for me.

Not particularly. I really enjoyed it in legion, but various changes, such as the GCD change, have made it incredibly clunky to play and it just doesn’t feel fun any longer.

Short version: All three are fun, but BrM and WW have drawbacks.

Long version: the drawbacks

BrM has felt clunky since the loss of our Legion legendaries. The effects of the shoulders and tunic should’ve become baseline. They’re orders of magnitude better than Shadow Priest and Ele Shaman, but the bar can be set much higher.

WW has decent gameplay but no identity. Their basic concept is “I can do anything Havoc can do, only worse”. Much worse survivability, much worse sustained damage in all situations; WW has slightly better single-target CC, but that’s not a fair trade. Moreover, the GCD changes fundamentally ruined them because you’re pushing “set-up” buttons for 4 seconds before anything happens: Touch of Death … Xu’en … Storm Earth and Fire … trinket … ZzzZzZzZ

2 Likes

Last expansion mistweavers were a blast, this expansion they feel too clunky. I can’t even find the strength to finish leveling mine.

Brewmaster isn’t nearly as interesting as it use to be with High Tolerance beating out blackout combo, but it’s still my favorite tank spec.

I have only played mistweaver this expansion and not others. I’m having fun with it but don’t really have anything to compare it to other than paladin healing in BC a handful times.

Wind Walker is in a really bad place at the moment. The new GCDs make it feel clunky and the current need to use touch of karma offensively is just barf. It’s extremely CD reliant which just feels terrible. Pop stuff at the wrong time and the tanks move the boss or you have to run out for some reason you will be last on the meters. The ramp up time to do anything is frustrating as well. Stay away from this one.

1 Like

Am I the only one that’s noticed the nerf on PTR? Our damage is down from live on my character??? Fun it is, but I haven’t seen this “move” of dmg away from TOD and Karma actually replaced with anything. I’m worried about the “fun” quotient going down with bottom tier dips unless there is some compensation. Am I missing something?

Its just my opinion but I actually liked that aspect of my monk so far. It helps spice up combat after everything got neutered going in to BfA.

At the very least, it was far more interesting than anything azerite armor has provided.