$25 (taxes in) a month is just too much, i just cancelled my subscription

Yes you can have my stuff! Covid hit my income pretty hard, but thats not even the main point. Its simply too much money to pay to play a game each month. its actually sickening from a company that supposedly broke sales records this year. And during a pandemic where people are focusing on gaming this just seems sickening, even from a corporate business standpoint.

The strange thing is i dont feel angry, i just feel betrayed . Ive taken probably a grand total of 2 years off WoW since the game released, spread out here and there. But coming back when i got the urge was always easy, because a sub fee less than $20 a month was always doable. I think it would be interesting for a staff member to pull up my file and see how much money ive spent on the game including several character transfers ive paid for.

Anyways , shame on this company.

31 Likes

isnt the sub the same they just upped the game time cards ? Buy 1 month sub then cancel the next day same thing isnt it.

7 Likes

You still pay with money? I just use gold.

2 Likes

I agree it’s a bad timing with Covid and people ‘forced’ to be at home and what else to do than play games?

I am hoping it wasn’t done on purpose though, just that the conversion rates were too big of a difference to continue to ignore?

1 Like

They worded it badly, but they meant current running subs aren’t suddenly charged more to make up for the difference.

1 Like

well i get it prices have to go up…

and if they can balance the books by raising prices (which will always reduce the number of buyers) they must have some lower sub target they have in mind.

If the actual sub is going up and not just the game time cards its dumb as hell. Everyone will just go play FFXIV its only 12.99 / 16.50 CAD or ESO I dont think anyones addicted to this game anymore like they were in Wrath. Only ones sticking around will be those that buy the token with gold. The money is not the issue its the principal. Maybe cut your execs a smaller bonus its not like they can say its going to operating costs lol.

9 Likes

I’m assuming OP is Canadian. Blizzard will continue to charge 15 USD but because of conversion rates they have to make adjustments to other currencies it’s common practice. it’s just… a very bad timing.

[edit] Also, you can’t compare FF XIV with WoW. I tried it, I don’t like it. Sure the characters are more cute, but it’s just not it for me. I’m sure there are plenty of people who agree.

12 Likes

The CAD has been 78 cents USD or on par going back to 2004. It hasnt really changed. So they cant even claim the CAD dollar is weaker. Im honestly at a loss here. Was it the same with the AUD I wonder when they upped it for them to? I havent checked their exchange rate.

9 Likes

Don’t blame Blizz, they have to keep up with the exchange rate or they lose money. Simple.

2 Likes

But it hasnt changed since the game released. They are just feeding people a line of shiz.

10 Likes

it was over $20 with taxes… Only a $3 dollar increase as it was $18.99 + taxes up to $21.99 + taxes

Maybe I am wrong, but wasn’t the sub fee left the same but the game time upped? So, if you unsub and come back buying game time it now cost $25?

https://www.poundsterlinglive.com/bank-of-england-spot/historical-spot-exchange-rates/usd/USD-to-CAD

A link to all information pertaining to OPs concerns. Math is fun!

I hated math in school, however I loved Science.

1 Like

Your Subscription price hasn’t changed, but up to you if you want to cancel at any point.

Edit: Didn’t mean to reply to you Fairbanks, the interface messed up.

2 Likes

Yes and proves the point that the rate historically hovers pretty closet to 75-78 cents since 2004 so this doesn’t validate an increase.

Maybe read the blue post above. But do you.

2 Likes

Listen, if people make sensationalized threads like what the OP made than have people like your self link stuff that counters theirs argument what the hell kind of sympathy do you think they will receive?

At least don’t link anything and just type stuff in rage against the Corporate Greed.

6 Likes

It’s not an exchange rate issue. They actually raised the price. CAD subscription is now ~ $18USD.

3 Likes