24 ban because a name got flagged?

The name report system is not automated, although a lot of reports get it to the top of the GM queue faster. It is then reviewed and penalties are issued. Most commonly, you just get a prompt to change the name. A suspension does not happen, usually, on a first offense.

I don’t know what server you were on, but if it was RP then please keep in mind naming restrictions are more restrictive there. It has to fit with the game world.

As others said though, you do want to appeal. Even if it does take the full time of the suspension, you would want it over turned (if possible), so that you don’t have a black mark on your account. Those stack and result in harsher penalties down the road.

For other violations you see, be sure to right click and report those.

EDIT - as to the concern about automation - you would not have that many reports within 20 seconds to trip any automation even if it did exist (not saying it does). More likely you were reported during a prior log in and the penalty was set for the account. When you logged in it applied the penalty. I am only guessing, but that is more likely than getting some insane amount of reports over a name all within 20 seconds.

7 Likes

How myself or others feel about your issue , or point of view, the fact remains that you cannot appeal the actions on your account here.

Even if a Blue were to answer, never a guarantee, they’re not GMs to appeal to or overturn an action.

Arguing your stance here will accomplish nil. You’re not going to convince someone of your poy, nor they you.

You’re wasting time here.

2 Likes

im on the customer support page trying to get some customer support…why are you here?

Dear gods. here we go.

Welcome to the Customer Support forum. A player to player, Blizzard moderated, assistance forum. here we help players in regards to in game issues, policy issues, and account issues. Directing them the the proper venue to address their issue(s).

8 Likes

You assume incorrectly. There is no automatic system that would flag and suspend the account, Krovax. Your name was reported, it was reviewed by a Game Master and determined that it violated policy.

What other people may or may not be doing has no impact on if your name was or was not found to be in violation. If you see something that you believe may violate policy, report it. The matter will be reviewed and appropriate action taken.

As for the name and earning a suspension. While the name is not vulgar, it is doesn’t really fit regular naming conventions, and therefore it was decided it needed to be changed.

For naming violations we usually try to provide an education for the first time around. As this appears to be your second naming violation, that means an education was no longer warranted. You are welcome to appeal the decision by submitting an appeal ticket.

13 Likes
1 Like

Krovax,

I understand you are frustrated. This forum is not for appealing account actions. What it does serve as is an Information Desk!

Here we help people sort out how to navigate the ticket system, use the Knowledge Base articles, explain policies (as best we can), explain purchase system and account services.

Is is the kind of place you go when you want to ask “how do I appeal?”, or “what is the current name policy?”.

Those things are what this forum was set up for. The goal is to direct you to the right resources, in this case the appeals ticket.

That was the correct answer. Now, if you want to know more about the naming policy that is something we can still help with.

5 Likes

Character Naming Rules

• The character name must be between 2-12 characters long.
  • Accented characters are supported.
  • Numbers and symbols are not supported.
  • Mixed capitals and spaces are not supported.

I wouldn’t consider ßæ numbers of symbols, because the character creation screen lets you use these, it will say you can only use characters if you try to use anything else.

Hmm I wonder if it was the mixed capital part…I guess thats enough for a 24 suspension /shurg

It’s always at Blizzard’s discretion. That said? You’re not appealing the name change with Vrak. Wait on your ticket

3 Likes

That might have done it. It was not terrible name in a vulgar way, just not really within the scope of the naming scheme they want for the game.

This is where discussing policy is great - it results in a better understanding of the rules so as not to make the same sort of mistake again.

I would still leave the appeal in though, never know if the reviewing GM might reduce the penalty or not.

Just be sure to pick a new name that stays within the rules. There are some really great names out there and name generator sites to help.

2 Likes

Ya thx, just got frustrated. When you actually need a gms help it takes 24 hours…but if you use a stupid name they are just waiting there to instantly ban you : /

To be clear, that’s not what happened. Your character was flagged for the name change when the GM looked at the report. That could have happened minutes or hours prior. Once flagged by the GM, the system waits to notify you when you log in.

The GM wasn’t just waiting around for you to log in.

5 Likes

I made a character then logged in, This all took a total of 30 seconds max

No, I don’t think it would be for ßæ, but ßæßæßæßæßæßæ, is more than a little nonsensical.

It can be enough for a penalty and, based on what was on the account prior (i.e. you have had an education already), it can lead to a suspension.

Understandable. I should point out that names that had already been reported and previously penalized as a violation take little to no time to process. Those can appear to be lightning fast because of that. Your name was likely on such a list so when you were reported, it was able to be quickly addressed.

5 Likes

I know you are frustrated and it feels pretty bad when you get suspended and yet you see others who have not been smacked by the hammer yet.

That delay in them getting a name change? It was the same for you. They were not waiting to pounce on you! They don’t even monitor the game in real time. The way it works is that players right click report. Those reports all go into a massive queue to be reviewed by the team. More reports makes it move up the queue faster. It can take days sometimes before action is taken, if the infraction only has a few reports.

I promise, they are not lurking behind bushes waiting to jump out and shout “ah hah!” while twirling their monocle.

EDIT - I forgot about the list part! Thanks Vrak. See, this place is good for educating even those of us who have been here years and need reminders :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I got banned too about the same time you did. Apparently offensive name I’ve had for years. I guess today is the day they decided that names were on the chopping block.

Offensive names have always been changed when reported. Also, a name doesn’t have to specifically be “offensive” to be a violation of the rules.

3 Likes

No. People get forced name changes every day. And post here to complain. Just like you.

2 Likes

Specifically said offensive. Thanks tho for talking about something you don’t know the details on. I said my name was offensive. It has nothing to do with his topic why i was banned just an additional voice in the “I’m banned because i had a rename previously.”

Just to touch on this, if the appeal is successful, then the “black mark” is removed from your account. This was a 24 hour suspension, which makes the next one 48 hours. If the appeal is successful, then your next violation would only be 24 hours. There’s also the tiny possibility of being compensated for those 24 hours, though I’m not sure if they provide that.

Please know that I am not saying your appeal will be successful, or advocating breaking the rules more. Just letting you know why you could keep the appeal up, even though the wait is basically the length of the suspension.

2 Likes