2 week ban for no reason?

Hello,
I went to log into my account today and saw I had a 14 day ban. I barely even played yesterday and now I somehow did something to deserve two weeks banned? This is the beginning of the mythic raid tier for me and I’m trialing in a guild, but not anymore I guess. Thanks for having such a faulty auto ban system blizz, its super effective at making your long term players hate this game.

The ban system is not automatic.

You should have gotten an email telling you the category of the infraction. It won’t give details, but it should give you an idea what you did that broke the rules. Make sure to check your spam and junk type folders.

If you feel you did not, you an appeal.

9 Likes

Bans dont normally happen that quickly, you should have an email that tells you the general reason for the ban, if its 2 weeks it suggests this isnt the first punishment as they tend to double with each application.
You can submit an appeal via the appeal process.

2 Likes

You should get an email with appeal instructions, and information on why you were suspended. Check your email filters in case it got marked as spam.

It probably wasn’t something you did yesterday, suspensions probably don’t go out that fast, but the appeal is the only way to approach this.

5 Likes

That really depends on what it is. Some infractions can land a person a 6 month suspension for a first offense. Botting and cheating software in particular, but also account sharing.

6 Likes

Sorry I should’ve been more specific. I’ve been playing wow since 2006 I had immediately checked my email once I saw I was suspended. The fact of the matter is, I literally did nothing. I’ve just been grinding like everyone else has, so why the heck did I get a 14 day ban out of nowhere? And you’re wrong about there not being an automatic ban system. There is one.

Yeah that is true, but id like to think someone who did that wouldnt be coming to the forums to complain about a 2 week ban because blizz tends to oust bad behaviour. But seen a few where people have until now been given warnings for like chat violations then a 2 week suspension because the warnings havent worked. Which is completely fair really, eventually you can’t keep giving people warnings.

If I’m really gonna be set back two weeks at the start of the xpac I’m just quitting this game. I only came back to play with some IRL friends and frankly this is just ridiculous. I’ll see yall in wotlk classic.

There’s no auto ban, no matter what you read elsewhere. A human being reviews the logs, a second or third (different person) for appeals. No auto.

Appeals is the only route.

6 Likes

Email says banned for exploitation that gave an unfair advantage. I have no clue what theyre talking about.

the squelch system is automatic, but any actual account action is always applied by an actual blizz employee.
Squelches are just like a temp block on your account to stop you using chat channels until someone can review the reports if enough are made in a short enough time frame.

1 Like

I know this is pedantic but a temporary game lock is a suspension, not a ban.

An account action probably wouldn’t happen that quick. There is an investigation by a game master that decides probable cause based on evidence and then decides what to do with you. If you did do something, then it was probably something that happened before yesterday. You can submit an appeal to have another game master review your account action, and after assessing the evidence, they will either lift the suspension or uphold it.

I’m almost certain that there isn’t. There is a silence system in place for motormouths in chat >:O but account actions are reviewed by game masters. I just went through three or four different game masters over one in-game problem so I can attest to this, even though I was not dealing with disciplinary action.

1 Like

I was just hit with the same thing.
Violation: Disruptive Gameplay
Reason for Action: Terms of Use Violation - In-Game Exploitation
Jjfire, were you doing arenas as a prot war with 4pc by chance?
That’s all I’ve done the past two days, clocking people with 50k+ shield slams.

My guild’s best guess was mass report auto-suspend.

Ah, so you found the email.

That phrase normally means using a bug or glitch to obtain rewards or achievements that are not normally available.

A recent one involved wearing more than 2 Legendary items by exploiting a bug. No idea if that is something you were involved in or not.

Also keep in mind, false positives can happen so that is what appeals are for.

No. The only thing that is automated is the Squelch feature that was put in place very very long ago against gold spammers. It can squelch an account pending GM review.

A Suspension with a duration on it is handed out by a GM.

Ban waves also happen - and tend to be based on past behavior that is investigated then a whole lot of people get banned at once.

6 Likes

Nah the auto system will collect data on accounts, the overall data collected may be checked by a person but not each account individually.

By reading many blue posts here clarifying how suspensions, bans, silences and squelches work, and by helping stop the spread of misinformation.

7 Likes

That means you were accused of abusing an unintended in-game flaw to grief other players.

They’re probably not going to get specific about whatever you were accused of, as that would give you information on how to do it.

That is far too vague to be an evidence-based position.

3 Likes

Sorry if I sound a bit heated here I’m very frustrated. I believe I’m one of those “false positives” and I’m extremely frustrated that because of this oversight, I’m going to miss out on two weeks of progression and dropped from my mythic raid team’s roster. This oversight just killed this whole xpac for me.

For big ban waves? Yes, probably. They would also sample a percentage and hand validate them to ensure the software is picking up the right parameters.

I don’t know that for sure, but that is a decent guess at how it might be done. They don’t ever talk about the details.

Apples and pears.

Ban waves have a software scanning factor. yes. Hacks team does do validation though.

Individual account penalties for reported in-game behavior like language or names, no.

People come to the forums and often claim they were “auto banned” for reports in game. That is not the case though. The mistake about how that process works is common and often the first thing people think of when someone says “auto ban”.

6 Likes

The “automation” that happens is for cheating software. They run something that checks the logs for their parameters, then manually confirm.

The times they have done a repeal is when they find out after the fact that their parameters were too broad and applied to players who didn’t break the rules.

Personally I would believe an MVP over a random player who has an axe to grind because they were actioned. The rumors of automatic account action that happen on sites like Reddit are just that - rumors. They are not fact. They are other players without any insider information on the process. And they only post what they figure they need to to have others believe their story.

6 Likes