2-Hander tanks. Why?

Just run with a good feral.

Just graduated from ZF two hand tanking and now iwll move into Mauradon 2 hand tanking this weekend. All the while /laughing at the prot warriors doing 50 dps doing their tab sundering with their dislexic healers.

1 Like

If the dungeon is around my level or below, I go in 2 hander (since I’m arms spec anyway). If the mob is above my level, I always check with the healer if they’d like me to wear a shield or not.

Paladins are kings of 2h trash tanking
that all i can say

and Warriors sucks at tanking everything in their lives.

100% disagree. scaling in vanilla is ridiculous. i care not to look up the percentages, but you are going to miss, get parried, and get dodged disproportionately more against a mob 2 levels higher than you than 2 levels under you.

Nope wrong ma man. I just tanked cathedral again and proved everyone wrong. Feelsgoodman

Thunder Bluff has an ~level 11 quest that gives a great shield as a reward.

Thunder clap is no problem, it just means hitting a couple of extra keys. But thunder clap is really for the debuff, the threat is weak. You need 9 points in Arms to do stance dance and thunder clap, so level 18. But tactical mastery is not as meaningful at that level since you don’t have intercept and you pretty much spend all your rage as it comes in (so there is no rage to save when switching stances).

Me and my friend are Shaman Healer and Warrior DPS / Tank. We always go 2 hander because it’s easier to hold aggro and if you play well can do amazing damage.

We spam dungeons and as of level 50 a shield has never been needed. Even for big pulls. It just comes down to the healer needs to be good and the Warrior needs to have decent gear and know what they are doing.

But 2-hander Warrior IS the most effective way.

Hate to break it to you but if you’re having a hard time healing a 2 hander tank due to them not having as much damage mitigation and armor than you need to learn how to heal better. It shouldnt be hard for warriors to 2 handed tank 5 man dungeons in this game. Only once you get to around BRD does it get hard to arms tank

I am late to this discussion but having just healed cath 20 times or so, I have some recent observations.

A skilled player who still thinks like a tank can absolutely speed clear cath faster than a sword and board, still not quite as smooth, but nothing terrible. The problem is unskilled players watching skarm and then doing it without learning how to play or really being geared for it.

Also, when the tank is topping the dps chart, they mostly no longer care when dps is drawing aggro and the healer is stuck healing three and four members taking continual damage. THAT gets really old really fast.

Not to mention, myself as healer getting aggro trying to heal all of that damage and the hunter is picking up my mob because the tank is in spin mode.

Of the two-hander vs sword and board run I have done, two-hander tank was able to maintain reasonable threat control exactly once. Compared to the 8 or 9 runs with the two hander where every fight was absolute bedlam.

So it can be done, I have seen it and it was fun, but you better be geared and an on-point-as-hell player, and lets face it, most aren’t. Its a trend in style of play that most can’t handle is the original posters point in the end, and I totally agree. Every rando warrior calling themselves a tank with a two-hander gets super old very fast. Even if my one guildie nails it. I am gonna PUG and I now groan every time there is a two -handed tank, until they show me different.

Most often they aren’t a two handed tank. They are just another dps standing where a tank should be.

2 Likes

I didn’t have to put a shield on my warrior until Uldaman. Then I took it off again at 60 when I got gear.