2-Hander tanks. Why?

I like how you still haven’t addressed the main point of the response to begin with.

Your big point on shields was that it could be used to stop a caster. Cool. I can do that with a two hander equipped by macro’ing an equip swap to shield bash and automatically go back to a two hander after stopping a cast.

Hi tank here! Well I been experimenting with aid of my macros, I can swap from 2 handed weapon to sword in shield/defensive stance in press of a button! So far it’s been going really good, I started to really test it out in gnomer, I’d pull and grab aggro on the elites then swap to 2 hand and swap back to defensive stance if a DPS peels aggro off of me. Warriors also have 1 taunt attack in battle stance form they can use:) at least at my level which is about 34.

If your tank warrior can’t switch from BS to DS with their weapons then they should just stay in DS.

Honestly I got a few complaints for you healers.

When your mana is low please just type OOM make a macro gee golly
gee. Because sometimes you’ll just sit down and start eating I’ll take notice and stop what I’m doing maybe /dance. But the DPS gets upset and says “lul tank pull” or they just go and pull.

And when you type OOM and begin to eat or drink, tell me when you’re ready don’t assume I know that 50% of mana is okay to go. Because I’ll wait until it’s at 100%.

And to the majority of the player base on my server at least, stop being stupid and telling everyone they can’t do xyz dungeon until they’re over the level requirement by 6 levels. I’m gonna say it, dungeons in classic are really easy so much more easier then retail you can do it in your sleep. You just wanna play it like retail and plow through all the mobs in 5 mins or you quit.

Also DPS warriors please help out with sunder shield or at least hamstring since your targets:)

M+ speed running dungeons in Legion/BFA taught us how to top everyone off right before the fight is over and immediately start drinking as the tank runs and pulls the next mob. It takes 10 seconds or so before the tank will need healing and that is enough time for the healer to go from 40% mana to 80%. There was no downtime this way.

If I am getting low mana and needing to drink, when the last mob is at 50%, I will cast an aoe heal to top the group members off if needed followed by a heal on the tank to top him off right before the mob dies. (It’s the only time I will overheal because I am drinking right after.) As the last mob finishes dying and everyone at 100% hp, I move to the front of the group toward the next pull. The mob dies, I immediately start drinking and already in range of the tank as he fights the next mobs. I drink while the group fights the next group.

/dancing while the healer is at 90% mana finishing his drink would be slightly frustrating to watch tbh.

Because I said so. That’s why.

I started to dual wield tank at about lvl 31 since I got tired of groups not listening about threat, and it’s been easy since, I do switch to a shield when I accidently pull more or something happens beyond my control, so I can shield block or shield wall. I’m geared enough that the healer won’t spend 50% of their mana healing me but I also keep in check what gear I have and try to update it as often as I can, even if it means doing a lower level dungeon.

1 Like

“shut up and deal” in my philosophy for this game. Deal with situations, don’t lecture other players on what you think is the best way to play. Or wipe and get a game over, and end up walking far and wasting time.

well you arnt a dps you are a tank

1.12 talents, abilities and itemization + broken demo shout = AOE everything with demo shout

“Remember, remember, the 5th of December,
The patch day treason and plot.
I see no reason, for MS and Cleavin’,
Since Tseric wants us to spec Prot.”

-Vortigen of Doomhammer

1 Like

People in this thread are ridiculous. Arguing at low levels 1H+Shield doesn’t generate enough threat, but then screeching that the healer should down rank with the other. I can’t speak for every class, but for some dungeons, you can’t down rank. Or when you do, your Holy Light heals a whopping 50 health.

I’ve healed plenty of dungeons thus far, and the biggest thing that stood out to me with 2H tanks were: My Paladin STILL pulled threat from them with a single auto-attack and they never once got it back short of Taunt/Mocking Blow. They died in 5 hits from VanCleef.

Just use the damn shield. Stop being garbage.

I’m sorry but it sound slike you’re garbage Ayrianna

2 handed tanking is the new meta in these 5 mans. We instantly go from having huge difficulties in Uldamon last night to ez-mode speed clears with a 32k/hour exp pace with 2 handed tanking. If your warriors dont know how to do it…that’s on them, but the clue is - sweeping strikes + whirlwind after that you got your agro.

When your tank is pulling in 200-300 dps and your ‘dps’ are at 100-150 the dif in kills and ability to actually hold agro on 3-4 mobs makes this a no brainer. I’m level 42 now and will likely be 44-45 tonight with uld/zf runs. The only time I’ll be using a shield is when the two hander, for whatever reason, just isn’t working.

1 Like

And its really fun holding aggro off 100 damage shadow bolts with 40 damage white swings with the wingblade from WC. Sarcasm btw.

If the tank is using a 2h which is what this thread is about, your tank will die if you wait until 25% heal to cast your 3 second heal.
A good healer won’t overheal which, yes, burns through mana, but neither will he wait until the tank is low enough to start backing up (which many do instinctively lol) and die right before the cast goes off.

And to those priests and druids who are saying the answer is HoTs, that healing style doesn’t apply to the other half of healers.

I generally tank with a 2h to improve threat given DPS like to pull before the tank and I have no taunt. If there are multiple mobs and it looks like it might get hairy a good tank should switch though but if you aren’t wiping who cares really.

Ayrianna is talking about deadmines in that example. Warriors do NOT generate enough threat in early dungeons with garbage weapons to justify 2 handed tanking.

I tanked SM with a ravager for a few levels and was topping damage, I constantly asked if I needed to go sword and board but healer was fine with it.

For me it comes down to efficiency and knowing the game… its 15 years old there really isn’t anything new here. If its more efficient to ae and do moar damage go with it.

Besides with such terrible gear/rage gen mages generally kite/tank with blizzard/nova and warriors play triage managing the threatening casters/resists that make it through the slows.

It’s a lot more fun than losing aggro left and right, but knowing when to swap to sword and board is very important. It’s also how an arms tank goes from 4th dps to first. It’s faster therefore more efficient. If I’m under leveled for the instance, I’ll probably be using 1h and shield 90% of the time. If i’m 1-2 levels ahead of the bosses, hell yeah I’m gonna use my 2hander.

I end up pulling aggro off tanks as an arms warrior in the dps role. Incidentally, I was just removed from a group for aggroing mobs. (Like I care, I still have 35% damage reduction without a shield. I followed kill order and I didn’t act nasty. I pressed my buttons and was having fun. When I tank, my dps can go ham if they aren’t in danger.)

I’ll continue to tank until I push the limits of the arms spec (I honestly don’t know how the 50+ instances will work out, but at level 40 it’s shining a lot).

TL;DR: Done right, it’s actually very satisfying!

1 Like

There is no ‘done right’ it’s still spamming d shout.

Your just putting the entire onus of the run on the healer.

because all of a sudden the tank with no avoidance gets crit for half his health mid cast and then wuh oh. everyone’s dead.

As a warrior with Ravager some groups just decided to make me lead because the weapons bladestorm + my classes amount of cleave just pulls aggro off the tank anyways.
In conclusion, we do to much damage.