2-Hander tanks. Why?

Agreed. Good players are always a joy to run with.

3 Likes

I am aware of this, it still doesn’t solve the underlying problem that it is on a cooldown timer and you cant spam it, and trigger happy “whats your XP per hour?” players are going to pull, there know-it-all.

I think that whats even more important than simply Threat or Mitigation is being able to control the current situation. Good Tanks don’t necessarily take less damage or deal more damage. They just know the pulls and how and when to react.

Warrior is one hell of a drug.

1 Like

Not only is it on a 10 second cd, it is melee range only, and can be resisted. Taunt is one of the worst threat gens for these reasons. Especially if whoever has the mob doesn’t stand still.

1 Like

Shield block is used on cooldown to proc revenge

And the only benefit for revenge is single target threat.
Sweeping Strikes/Whirlwind on CD gets you big boy AoE threat without having to spam Battle Shout.

Even 2handed, I’ll switch to sword and board for bosses for sure. The biggest reason people 2hand tank is the brain dead DPS mentality of cleaving everything off the cuff while you scurry around chasing mobs down to get them under control.

For boss fights specifically? Sure, go nuts with that sword and board.

Far higher rage throughput with dual wielding, and your specials do not suffer the DW hit penalty; only your white hits.

It’s night and day difference for rage flow when you hit 20 and try to 2h tank vs. DW tank where the mitigation from a shield is unnecessary. On top of this, you generally deal more damage in general.

Missing with DW is par for the course, but missing with a 2h is absolutely crushing.

i would not even notice if the tank was tanking with a dead cat in his hands lol i just keep his bar green and keep on going.

Because everything can tank at low levels. This game isn’t hard

#MyClassic

2 Likes

You can force procs with Shield block and keep Revenge on cooldown.

Yeah, and you should once your rage gen is stable. But at the pull, you’re spending 15 rage, whereas one sunder costs 12 talented. I remember being pretty rage starved back in the day until I hit higher gear levels, and those first few seconds are critical.

Then again, I don’t recommend leveling prot either, so meh. At this point it’s pretty much informed choice.

If you’re specced prot while levelling, you’re doing it wrong.

If you’re on a PVP server like I was and specced anything but Arms on anything but a raid night, you were doing it wrong lol.

This thread is clearly about low level tanks, as was my post that you replied to.
Max level has nothing to do with why people are 2H tanking.

Cant do that if the tank get 3 shot.

the symptom of people seeing videos of someone doing it or hear thats the meta then go out and do it, with very little knowledge about what is required to achieve this.

2 Likes

no one waits even after i explain this.

I completely disagree. If it’s not necessary, your tank is not pulling enough. The optimal way to heal is to wait till the tank’s health is down to a level where your max rank heal will not overheal (between 40%-60% health). If you pull aggro, there are ways to drop it (fade, bubble). That said, one big heal produces the same amount of threat as multiple small ones (50% of HP healed), distributed among all mobs you’re fighting. Additionally, waiting for a big heal gives the tank much more time to build up significant AoE threat, and is way less risky than immediately starting with small heals. Thus, I firmly believe all your advice is completely erroneous and I suggest you read some classic healing guides.

1 Like

These are not permanent reductions, and the reduced threat returns when they expire. Those buttons will buy the tank a few seconds to establish it properly – but remember, if you had to hit it at all, mobs were already peeling off the tank and he has almost no rage to work with anymore. If the DPS are also going ham, they’re not going to go back to him and the tank remains rage starved. Then fade wears off and you get dogpiled for keeping some idiot mage alive through his AE spam.

That said, you’re right that the healing threat is the same regardless of how fast or slow you deliver it. What matters is that you don’t rip it within the first couple GCDs.

1 Like

There’s so much ignorant info here all around.

If you see someone 2H tanking, don’t assume naturally they’re playing incorrectly. In fact, seeing someone specced deep prot is more likely to be playing improperly because you shouldn’t be leveling as Prot.

With that said, seeing a tank with 2H also doesn’t guranteed they’ve put in enough practice, work to make it comfortable/viable enough. They could just be meta chasing without actually reading up on everything.

You should be using macros to stance swap, stance map, gear swap between shield + 1h and be ready to learn and understand when you should swap to keep the group alive. Despite what the meta setters from pservers say, it is quite challenging to do properly and understand everything you should be doing when you’ve been playing retail for awhile/

Threat shouldn’t be much of a problem no matter what you do. You can just dstance + spam demo shout a few times, hit all the mobs, and they should stay on you then just cycle in demo shout.

Battle shout also works when you have pets + lots of party members to hit with it.