2 factor authentication backfire

I’ll be brief.
A few months ago, my phone broke and I got a new phone with a new plan from another provider (new phone #)

Now I find myself without any means of authentification, and I fear that once I switch computers, my account will be permanently lost.

Complicating things further, teenager me provided fake info when creating the account, so I can’t id, unless the legit credit card that I have been using with my real name counts.

So; I am doomed to lose all of my progress, or is there any hope?

Edit to add: I don’t know what happened, making tickets used to be super simple, but now it seems to do nothing other than automated suggestions, I seriously couldn’t find how to open a ticket for help.

First, you need to get the name situation sorted.

I’d suggest Live Chat, not always open on weekends, should be open Monday.

Then, you need to get the old authenticator taken off - and re-add a new one. Going foward, you could jot down the serial number and restore code, that would allow you to effectively reinstate the old one on a new device.

4 Likes

Your situation is complicated so it is best that you did ask about it here first.

1. Your ID is an issue. This is very important to sort out. Do you have the original game keys? Did you buy it on your own credit card? You can ask Blizz if there is anything they can do about it, but depending on what you put, and what you have to prove you are the original account holder, you may end with issues.

2. To change the phone number you need access to the old phone number, OR to a device with your authenticator on it.

3. If you had the Auth on the other phone then you should have written down the serial number and restore code. If you did that, then you can put that same Auth on your new phone. Just download the app and in the menus use the restore feature and enter those numbers. That gets you back your authentication.

4. If not, you are going to just have to bite the bullet and see if there is anything Blizz can do to get the account in your name.

3 Likes

Thank you both for your responses.
I do have the old vanilla box in my old room at my parents’ place, so I might be able to find the serial code there. I’ll try to use the live chat on monday to get this situation sorted out and update the thread.

Edit: not much of an update yet, but I did find my old diablo III disc with its serial number, so there goes hoping!

Final edit:
As promised, here I am back with an update for anyone that stumbles upon this thread through google.

I got in contact with GM Laenowatar on the live chat and he was able to solve my issue. All that I provided was my fake name, my real name (which matches my email address and the credit card that I previously used) and my driver’s license. With only that, Laenowatar was able to solve the problem within 10 minutes! :slight_smile:

Now that I know I won’t be losing everything the next time that something happens, I’ll see you all in Azeroth!

7 Likes

Thank you for the update yesterday! So glad they were able to help you and get everything sorted out. You are right, having the account in your legal name means you won’t ever have to worry about access issues in the future.

Reminder to write down the serial number and restore code from the mobile Auth so that if you change phones again that you can put YOUR auth on the new one. You can also put the same auth on multiple devices you own - such as a tablet + phone.

4 Likes