World of Warcraft Forum Upgrades!

As some of you may know, over the last several months we've been implementing new forums for a few of our titles, including Overwatch and Heroes of the Storm, as well as BlizzCon. These new forums allow you to more easily navigate current topics, encourage more constructive discussions, and reward positive contributions to the community.

We are now ready for World of Warcraft to transition to these new forums. This Thursday, November 15, the current World of Warcraft forums will be going into maintenance starting at 8 AM Pacific. We estimate this process should take approximately 8 hours.

Note: We will be migrating over any active threads from the last two weeks to allow ongoing community discussions to continue as seamlessly as possible. Once maintenance is complete, the old forums will remain available in read-only mode for the foreseeable future, so you’ll be able to easily reference back to anything that wasn’t automatically transferred to the new forums.

Here’s a few of the new features we’re excited about:

Tracking and Updates
• The Blizz Tracker has returned to help you quickly find official posts
• You can now easily find threads that you’ve previously viewed
• Better text formatting
• Threads now update in real time without needing to refresh
• Threads now infinitely scroll – no more navigating page by page
• The forums will also remember what you’ve read and where you left off!

Sorting and Search
• A new “Advanced Search” feature will make looking for older posts easier
• You can now sort posts by “Top” or “Latest” with configurable timeframes.

Notifications
• You can now enable notifications for when you are tagged in posts and replies

Flagging
• The “report post” feature has been upgraded to a flagging system with multiple options
34 Likes
For those who want a detailed guide to the new forums, check out my guide here in the Heroes of the Storm forums which made the jump about a month ago: UPDATE: I have posted a new guide which is available here: https://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/wow/t/new-forum-guide-syntax-and-features/19903
14 Likes
11/14/2018 05:34 PMPosted by Siyanati
For those who want a detailed guide to the new forums, check out my guide here in the Heroes of the Storm forums which made the jump about a month ago:

https://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/heroes/t/new-forum-syntax-guide-details-about-trust-levels/380

Thanks a lot for that guide. I can't wait to see how the new forums and it's features turn out for the WoW community.
1 Like
YAY!!! But Ythisens we already had our sentimental night on Monday. ;p
11/14/2018 05:44 PMPosted by Solarwynds

Oh.

So that's what "sentimental" means...
1 Like
You should pop on over to Diablo forums and let them know you've had devs working on forum upgrades, that'll go down really well
14 Likes
Keep pages please....
7 Likes
Yay!! But are trust levels gonna be a feature still? Not that I’m too worried seems I can hit level 1 ina day:)
11/14/2018 04:52 PMPosted by Ythisens
Threads now infinitely scroll – no more navigating page by page

lol please don't do this
11 Likes

makes it like reddit and new comments will never be seen, unfortunate

we'll see
6 Likes
11/14/2018 06:08 PMPosted by Tyierin
Threads now infinitely scroll – no more navigating page by page

lol please don't do this

I hated it at first too, but you get used to it trust me.
3 Likes
11/14/2018 05:54 PMPosted by Zorandicer
You should pop on over to Diablo forums and let them know you've had devs working on forum upgrades, that'll go down really well

Devs don't work on forums it's a separate team dedicated to the forums (and maybe mobile? could be 2 separate teams tho) so not sure why Diablo players would be mad ...

P.S. Thanks for the update Ythisens.
11/14/2018 05:48 PMPosted by Crepe
11/14/2018 05:44 PMPosted by Solarwynds

Oh.

So that's what "sentimental" means...
Sheesh oh petes... why do I even bother to shill? ;p
Oh joy, we get to throw away our nicely centered forums for forums that are shifted to the left for...reasons. (among other problems)

Great.
2 Likes
Some of the features look to be good value.
Oh god please don't be like the Overwatch forums, ever since they updated they've been a mess to navigate.
2 Likes
Seems interesting. Just hopefully you CM's will enforce properly with the new flagging system.
First, there was the website update that turned the website of this PC game into a specifically mobile-targeted layout.

Then there was the armory "update" that made your avatar obnoxiously large at the cost of valuable information that is no longer visible on the armory, and the loss of sorting/filter functionality for collections.

Now there's this forum upgrade that makes it impossible to find a post in a thread when you need to go back to it later.

Is your web design team competing to see who can get the worst idea possible implemented? Because they're all winning.

EDIT: Dear god I just saw the new forums.
Y i k e s.
7 Likes
11/14/2018 06:18 PMPosted by Revannia
11/14/2018 05:54 PMPosted by Zorandicer

Devs don't work on forums it's a separate team dedicated to the forums (and maybe mobile? could be 2 separate teams tho) so not sure why Diablo players would be mad ...

P.S. Thanks for the update Ythisens.

From what I understand is blizz only has 15 Devs, each only being able to work on one game/project a week.

I know that's not how it is bit the transfering of dev's after a game launch is bringing wow down.
2 Likes
I really hope that you reconsider the page numbers. They were a nice benchmark for how far I was reading through a thread and how to find notable posts I wanted to go back to sometimes (like to quote one, for instance). It made a nice pace for getting through each thread and a convenient way to pick it up after going offline for awhile.

Plus on the practical side of it, this would (I would think) mean that on occasions when readers would look at the forums on a non-pc device, that it would force the device to load the entire thread's worth of information instead of simply page by page.

Even if the thread would only load more posts the farther down people scroll (similar to scrolling down a twitter feed, for example) this would still mean that the prior posts would still all be there. I don't know how this would impact mobile devices off-hand, but it sounds like a needless inconvenience that would keep people from reading longer threads.

If you do decide to forge ahead with this design choice, could you at least put post numbers back listed along one side like there used to be? Next best thing.

Hope it all works out--ty

(edited for clarity)
2 Likes