184 Days and Spell batching still needs changed

At most, 200 ms, but there’s nothing stopping them for reducing it, either, so that gameplay is seamless and fluid. Currently, it’s 400 ms, which is retarded beyond belief.

This is the cause of so many issues, such as getting hit after CCing something, receiving heals after you die, Feign Death and Vanish not working, and warriors losing rage on Executes.

1 Like

https://www.wowhead.com/bluetracker?topic=13087818929

By [Celestalon] [on 2014/06/18 at midnight]( (Patch 5.4.7)

I was wondering when this’d get brought up. I’ve hinted about this in the past in a couple interviews… Yes, there was a very significant underlying change here, that may have implications for theorycrafting (though minor).

I don’t want to get too deep into the under-the-hood workings of WoW servers, but here’s a super short version. Any action that one unit takes on another different unit used to be processed in batches every 400ms. Some very attentive people may have noticed that healing yourself would give you the health instantly (minus client/server latency), whereas healing another unit would incur a delay of between 0ms and 400ms (again, on top of client/server latency). Same with damaging, applying auras, interrupting, knocking back, etc.

That delay can feel bad just due to the somewhat laggy responsiveness feeling, but also because the state of things can change during that time. For example: Holly the Holy Priest is healing Punky the Brewmaster. Punky spikes low, and Holly hits Guardian Spirit in a panic. The server verifies that Holly is able to cast it, and that Punky is alive (great!). The cast goes off, Guardian Spirit goes on cooldown, and a request is placed for the Guardian Spirit aura (that prevents dying) to be placed on Punky. That request will be filled next time the 400ms timer loops, which happens to be 320ms from now. 250ms later, the boss lands another hit on on Punky. Punky dies. Sadface. Another 70ms goes by, and the Guardian Spirit aura request pops up, and goes “Hey guys, I’m here!.. Aww… damn, I missed the party. Sadface.”

We no longer batch them up like that. We just do it as fast as we can, which usually amounts to between 1ms and 10ms later. It took a considerable amount of work to get it working that way, but we’re very pleased with the results so far; the game feels noticeably more responsive.

I can’t guarantee that you’ll never ever again run into cases where Guardian Spirit went on cooldown and the tank still died… but it’ll be literally 40x rarer than before, and the whole game will feel more responsive too.

Yes, just like it was in Vanilla.

3 Likes

My ele shaman in vanilla couldn’t double crit. Leeway let’s melee players keep wailing on you while slowed or cced.

Spell batching needs to go.

3 Likes

Sure could, wasn’t fixed until TBC:

Patch 2.3.0 (2007-11-13): Elemental Mastery: It is no longer possible to get two consecutive guaranteed critical strikes from using this ability.

Existed in Vanilla, exists in retail still today. Plenty of video evidence detailing absurdly far melee ranges back in 2006.

1 Like

One doesn’t need to spend anywhere close to $800 on a system that can run WoW as max settings.

1 Like

This is not how vanilla was and that’s 100% factual because Leeway and this batching was implemented to bridge the gap between dial up connections and bad pcs.

Now that we do not have either of those they’re acting in a way we have never seen before and its atrocious to play with in 2020.

2 Likes

The spell batching is what made classic what it was, if you change it then you will change how the content plays. A lot of yall seem to forget that a lot of the difficulty of vanilla was because of tech limitations at the time, which required things like the batching. The only way it will be the same game is to emulate it.

1 Like

Leeway still exists in BfA, if it was implemented because of bad connections, it would be removed.

Spell Batching took them a tremendous amount of effort to get as low as possible in WoD. If it was implemented because of bad internet, they wouldn’t have waited until WoD to change it.

Blizzard isn’t going to remove Spell Batching or Leeway because of some bogus reasoning people are coming up with.

Yea tell me more…

Leeway was implemented for bridging gaps period. There is no dispute a quick search will provide you the answer. I don’t have to explain to you why Leeway is atrocious now that we all have good internet, that is unless you’re low iq in which case let me know.

Spell batching is the way it is because they said they wanted to give players that “Authentic” feeling. They tried and it just doesn’t work. I mean its pretty fun kicking a cast and the cast still going off. I don’t enjoy having to dumb down my reaction time for batching. The perfect example would be a mage casting sheep but I want to kick at the last second and I am still beating on the mage as he tries to cast. If you wait with this spell batching and kick you will still get sheeped because of how 2004 batching works. They literally explained this in an interview.

Leeway has been proven to act 100% differently than it was intended for in vanilla and countless videos have been posted as proof.

Of course they’re not going to make any changes players actually want. They need you to pre order shadowlands. Classic was a means to hold sub #'s long enough to get Shadowlands out. Activision is the kings of 1 thing and 1 thing only and that is milking you for every last $$$ they can.

No it hasn’t, rofl. It’s EXACTLY the same as it was in 2006.

It works like it did in 2006. I don’t like it but the community wanted it and Blizzard delivered.

The rest of your post is just tinfoil theories and not worth responding to.

This is pretty hyperbolic.

I’m not particularly a fan of spell batching, but we all deal with it, equally. It doesn’t matter if we have it or not, in that regard.

Are there specific issues that you are hoping get addressed?

Spell batching
Leeway

I thought the title was pretty clear?

Nope.

And you still aren’t.

What precisely are you hoping to have addressed about Spell batching? (Leeway was definitely not something that was clear from the title… so let’s add that to the list of things to clarify, please).

Perhaps you could elaborate on what about spell batching is problematic, and how you would propose to resolve these problems, while also addressing the points made in this post:

Blizzard keeps this then implements a bunch of changes that don’t make the game any better… this company has become sad

1 Like

funny thing about this, wow was never* laggy for me, i’ve had broadband since before wow launched, so it feels extra weird.

i am not opposed to them changing this as i do have fast 200 mb internet and decent computer but. your statement about everyone heaving it is wrong. my brother does not the best internet offered in his area is dsl at max of 5mb on its best day average about 1 to 2 mbs but i am sure the majority of people do have fact internet

No…#NOCHANGES. Get used to it. Plus I love shatter combos to death. Get Gud. jfc I would like some advantage for killing horde considering they play on ezmode x10 for F sake.

There are still places around here that your only option is satellite internet, which is pretty garbage most of the time. There is a reason we bought our new home in town.

This is the part that kills me, they turned WSG into a toxic waste dump of premades cause allies all hit the queue button at the same time for AV, but we aren’t allowed to get rid of hitting bandage then having auto attack go off canceling it, lol.

Yea that is one of hundreds of examples of why its not fun