184 Days and Spell batching still needs changed

General consensus is the majority of pvp’rs and pve’rs hate the way spell batching is currently.

I know every hunter in classic wow would rejoice if they changed it.

Its 2020, 800$ computers can run wow at max settings and the crappiest internet in rural areas still puts out 16-24mbs.

Can we do away with 2004 spell batching and leeway please?

16 Likes

I think the complete lack of radio silence from the devs on this issue speaks for itself.

4 Likes

sometimes it’s hard to admit when you’re wrong. BUT DONT WORRY THEY RESPONDED ABOUT ONY HEADS!

10 Likes

Citation needed and all that.

1 Like

Spell batching is part of Classic WoW and intended AS IS. They will not be changing it hence their ‘radio silence’ on the topic.

1 Like

It’s not even 2004 spell batching. I played on dial up for most of vanilla, and it was never this bad.

2 Likes

Occasionally someone will say something like this. I’m a #nochanges guy myself, but some people treat it like a religion and cling to it for no rational reason.

The truth is they left spell batching in to make Classic feel more authentic… but it has failed. It does not feel authentic. It does not feel like Vanilla. Perhaps if we could all downgrade our internet connections and our pc hardware the current spell batching might feel more fluid. But we can’t, and it doesn’t .

It doesn’t feel authentic, it feels broken and it’s time to fix it. Let’s save #nochanges for actual game content and not quirky fringe tech issues that can’t possibly replicate the ‘feel’ of ancient hardware.

9 Likes

Um, no. They literally doubled the window, which has a HUGE impact on gameplay, to the point of breaking things consistently.

1 Like

I mean, you’re wrong, but I’m completely OK with you having that opinion.

Oh, did they? What is the window and what is it supposed to be then?

On my hunter pet commands take nearly half a second to register. FD takes half a second to register. It’s really stupid and hella anoying

Yeah, which is why they changed it in WoD. It’s an archaic system that a large part of the community on this forum wanted Blizzard to bring back.

People thought they wanted batching, but they didn’t.

2 Likes

This exactly. In vanilla, spell batching was inconsistent and random, and you never quite knew how it was going to turn out.

In Classic though, it’s the same, every single time.

For instance, in Vanilla I might sometimes be able to use Divine Favor + Holy Light and get off a Holy Shock with the auto crit bonus too, because of lagginess. It didn’t always work though - it was highly unreliable. But in Classic, it works every single time, with reliable precision.

1 Like

Use the system to your advantage…

At most, 200 ms, but there’s nothing stopping them for reducing it, either, so that gameplay is seamless and fluid. Currently, it’s 400 ms, which is retarded beyond belief.

This is the cause of so many issues, such as getting hit after CCing something, receiving heals after you die, Feign Death and Vanish not working, and warriors losing rage on Executes.

1 Like

https://www.wowhead.com/bluetracker?topic=13087818929

By [Celestalon] [on 2014/06/18 at midnight]( (Patch 5.4.7)

I was wondering when this’d get brought up. I’ve hinted about this in the past in a couple interviews… Yes, there was a very significant underlying change here, that may have implications for theorycrafting (though minor).

I don’t want to get too deep into the under-the-hood workings of WoW servers, but here’s a super short version. Any action that one unit takes on another different unit used to be processed in batches every 400ms. Some very attentive people may have noticed that healing yourself would give you the health instantly (minus client/server latency), whereas healing another unit would incur a delay of between 0ms and 400ms (again, on top of client/server latency). Same with damaging, applying auras, interrupting, knocking back, etc.

That delay can feel bad just due to the somewhat laggy responsiveness feeling, but also because the state of things can change during that time. For example: Holly the Holy Priest is healing Punky the Brewmaster. Punky spikes low, and Holly hits Guardian Spirit in a panic. The server verifies that Holly is able to cast it, and that Punky is alive (great!). The cast goes off, Guardian Spirit goes on cooldown, and a request is placed for the Guardian Spirit aura (that prevents dying) to be placed on Punky. That request will be filled next time the 400ms timer loops, which happens to be 320ms from now. 250ms later, the boss lands another hit on on Punky. Punky dies. Sadface. Another 70ms goes by, and the Guardian Spirit aura request pops up, and goes “Hey guys, I’m here!.. Aww… damn, I missed the party. Sadface.”

We no longer batch them up like that. We just do it as fast as we can, which usually amounts to between 1ms and 10ms later. It took a considerable amount of work to get it working that way, but we’re very pleased with the results so far; the game feels noticeably more responsive.

I can’t guarantee that you’ll never ever again run into cases where Guardian Spirit went on cooldown and the tank still died… but it’ll be literally 40x rarer than before, and the whole game will feel more responsive too.

Yes, just like it was in Vanilla.

3 Likes

My ele shaman in vanilla couldn’t double crit. Leeway let’s melee players keep wailing on you while slowed or cced.

Spell batching needs to go.

3 Likes

Sure could, wasn’t fixed until TBC:

Patch 2.3.0 (2007-11-13): Elemental Mastery: It is no longer possible to get two consecutive guaranteed critical strikes from using this ability.

Existed in Vanilla, exists in retail still today. Plenty of video evidence detailing absurdly far melee ranges back in 2006.

1 Like

One doesn’t need to spend anywhere close to $800 on a system that can run WoW as max settings.

1 Like

This is not how vanilla was and that’s 100% factual because Leeway and this batching was implemented to bridge the gap between dial up connections and bad pcs.

Now that we do not have either of those they’re acting in a way we have never seen before and its atrocious to play with in 2020.

2 Likes