In this thread, we’ll be testing and talking about Shamans in The War Within. Look here for posts from the development team as adjustments and bugfixes are made throughout the testing period.

Please note that off-topic or inappropriate posts will be strictly removed.

Thank You

Before we continue testing The War Within, we’d like to take a moment to thank everyone who read and responded to the Hero Talent previews we posted over the last few months.

Looking to the Alpha

In this first Alpha build, every single class has at least one new Hero Talent tree available for testing, with the rest coming in the following weeks. We’re asking testers to initially keep several things in mind:

• There are UI elements on the talent panel that are placeholder, including things like talent icons, text, or final UI art.
  • Some talents may not be functioning yet, or may be marked as not yet implemented (NYI)
  • New spell visuals and audio for several new Hero Talent trees are still a work in progress. Many trees are using placeholder assets for now that will be updated over the course of Alpha.
  • There are some talents that are not fully tuned yet. This is expected, and we will implement tuning adjustments throughout testing.

The combat design team has two big areas of focus right now that we are prioritizing over other concerns such as tuning or generic class updates/maintenance:

• Finish building the remainder of the Hero Talent trees that are not yet available.
  • Fix bugs that are blocking testing of new talents.

With the Alpha build being playable and all of the discussion that will occur around the flood of data, we wanted to reiterate that the responses to our blog previews were highly valuable. The feedback we received allowed us to make some early improvements or revisions while we didn’t yet have a public test environment. It allowed us to take some big early swings on certain trees, and then react to early feedback quickly.

Going forward, we aren’t planning to publish any additional Hero Talent previews in blog form, since we’ll add the remaining classes to the Alpha as soon as they reach their ready-to-test state.

Working from Feedback

Several Hero Talent trees have received changes after reading feedback to the blog posts. Some of these were tuning changes to ensure that the Hero Talent tree felt competitive, while others were significant design changes. The feedback thus far has been of great benefit to us.

Going into Alpha, we feel good about the shape of the Hero Talent tree designs. Keeping a consistent number of utility and defensives nodes across all trees, having parity between number of choice nodes, and the overall structure of the trees are things we’re confident in.

We’re also working on tweaking some core class designs as well. In some cases, it was necessary to make adjustments to the class or specialization talent trees before significant work was done on a Hero Talent tree. In other cases, we did work seeking to improve base class talent tree designs.

Alpha Feedback

Now that we’re in Alpha, we’re looking for feedback on how it feels to playtest these trees. We’re specifically curious about:

• Hero Talents that you feel are “required” for your spec in a type of content, such as raiding or Mythic+, or that push you towards picking a specific tree.
  • Hero Talents that create frustrating or unsatisfying gameplay or rotations for your spec.
  • Hero Talents whose functionality is confusing, unclear, or difficult to track during gameplay.

Throughput comparisons of Hero Talent trees are helpful, but we’re more interested in gameplay, feel, and choice feedback at this stage. Also, when possible, we appreciate it when you focus posts or articles on a single spec and Hero Talent tree, rather than combining feedback about multiple issues.

Again, Thank You

We greatly appreciate all your feedback on Hero Talent trees and are very excited for you to see everything else we’re working on. Thank you!

The World of Warcraft Combat Design Team

9 Likes

At this time, we’re working on the designs for Shamans’ two remaining Hero Talent trees: Totemic and Stormbringer.

We’re pleased with the direction we have planned for them and expect to make these trees available for testing and feedback in the coming weeks.

For Totemic, our plan is to make your existing totems, and perhaps a new one or two, feel more impactful and do some unique things when they’re dropped.

For Stormbringer, we’re working on emphasizing the uniqueness of being the sole lightning caster as much as possible.

Thank you for all of your feedback thus far!

17 Likes

Farseer resto shaman seems pretty straightforward and easy. I like it. I like that lore feel of the ancestor showing up to help and I like that the ancestor is tied to Unleash Life/a Riptide possibility, even though I was a bit surprised that Unleash Life was chosen because that spell is never the highlight of anything (but hey, let it have its expansion!) I didn’t feel like any of the talents were required and that some of them would be situationally better for different content.

1 Like

The Stormbringer Hero Talent tree has been implemented in today’s Alpha build.

The Stormbringer is all about the celebration of being the only lightning caster across all classes. Our goal is to to push that fantasy forward with enhancements to your existing lightning spells as well as access to a new spell, Tempest, that occasionally replaces your Lightning Bolt.

Known issues:

• Tuning, sound, and visuals are not final.
  • The Conductive Energy talent is currently marked NYI and is not functional
  • The final talent, Awakening Storms, has issues with Lightning Bolt overloads while playing Elemental Shaman.

We’re excited for you to try this out and send feedback our way. Thanks!

5 Likes

Really fun to play and love the talents so far! The visual for tempest is absolute amazing, big kudos to the art team!

First off I love having a consistent haste buff to smooth out my globals as I spend more maelstrom. It feels great, especially when starting out with lower haste margins come a new expansion. I personally wish Unlimited Power worked more like Ironfur, as the haste drop off can feel bad, but otherwise great talent.

One thing I wonder is if the dev team see any place for 5 stack maelstrom casts to make a return at all for enhance, or if the design is purely around making 10 stacks the default. Right now on alpha you can sort of gattling gun lightning bolts (which I absolutely love, I definitely tried to make that sort of thing work in DF) with Unlimited power and Supercharge, where you’re getting constant 3 MSW refunds on your 5 MSW casts and also getting those haste stacks up a lot quicker.

A gripe I have between the hero talent tree and spec tree is the aspect of refunds. Static Accumulation already grants a 20% chance to refund MSW on CL/LB casts. This feels like they clash against each other as a 10 stack refund would grant you full stacks, and then you would over-cap should you get the Supercharge proc. I’m not sure if it will be intended for Tempest to also grant refunds from Static Accumulation (I feel like all talents that affect LB should affect tempest, bar pwave firing tempests at 6 targets) but I hope to see some changes for resource over-capping.

A small issue I have for Storm swell is that it HAS to hit one target to get the MSW refund. I’d like it if I could just count on it to consistently get that refund, especially if another mob happens to wander near my main target and screw me over.

Lightning Rod, awesome! Love to see it, very happy.

I’m a huge PvPer so seeing Shocking Grasp sent me to the moon. Very fun talent and I will enjoy being able to mass slow people with a single crash lightning!

Rolling Thunder, love wolves, more lightning, more fun!

Nature’s Protection, little lack luster considering how enhance can feel defensively behind, but I imagine any issues there will be addressed in the class/spec tree. Seems comparable to other defensive nodes (like thunder clap for mountain thane), so no complaints.

Surging Currents! I am honestly not a fan of this talent. In PvE and PvP I’d want a juiced heal (act as if I used 10MSW on the heal without having to use my MSW), but the ability still benefits from MSW on alpha, meaning that if I have 5+ stacks the only real benefit is that it doesn’t require mana, which seems pointless outside of PvP. Then in PvP it clashes weirdly with Stormweaver, and for all intents and purposes it is just a worse Stormweaver.
I think an ability that empowered the next heal you used on yourself, either to heal for more or to grant some form of damage reduction after using the heal, would be more well suited. That way it can be more self directed instead of just being another passive in the damage rotation.

Overall I’m very happy to see this tree and can’t wait to see what totemic shaman brings. Big cheers to the WoW team for all the great trees and content!

Sha

1 Like

After doing some play testing in dungeons on the alpha I would like to provide my thoughts on the current implementation of the Stormbringer hero tree from the perspective of an elemental shaman.

Tempest

“Every 400 Maelstrom spent replaces your next Lightning Bolt with Tempest”.
“Tempest deals xx,xxx Nature damage to your target, and xx,xxx Nature damage to other enemy targets within 8 yards of your target.”

I like what Tempest as a spell does by offering a reasonably strong package of Single Target and AoE damage in a single cast.

Currently, Tempest is locked at a 2-second cast time with no haste scaling. This feels completely out of place and really ruins the flow of playing the class. I have to imagine this is not intended, considering a later hero talent even offers a stacking haste buff, but I do want to point this out.

400 maelstrom feels like a bit much. Lowering this to 300 maelstrom feels much more reasonable and fits nicely with both the base maelstrom cost of 60 for Earth Shock and Earthquake as well as their reduced cost of 50 through the Eye of the Storm talent.

Having Tempest replace Lightning Bolt creates a number of awkward overlaps and uncomfortable choices when combined with other talents in both the hero tree and the base elemental tree. Currently, tempest removes your ability to cast Lightning Bolt but does not gain any of the benefits of Lightning Bolt itself. This means that if you attempt to properly line up your cooldowns and resources to maximize the damage potential of a Stormkeeper+Surge of Power+Electrified Shocks combo, and you end up forcing a Tempest proc, you could potentially ruin your damage output.

Unlimited Power

“Spending Maelstrom grants you 3% haste for 15 seconds, stacking. Gaining a new stack does not refresh the duration.”

Not a lot to say about this one. It’s simple but effective. Potentially changing the haste value for Elemental Blast specifically to make up for the higher resource cost and cast time but even thats a stretch.

Tempest(2?)

“Increases the critical strike chance of your Nature damage spells by 10% and the critical strike damage of your nature spells by 5%.”

Fine. A nice simple talent that can be used to easily tune the overall strength of the tree. Should probably have a new name, though.

Shocking Grasp

“Your Nature damage critical strikes reduce the target’s movement speed by 50% for 3 seconds.”

This is honestly a really bad effect to always have on. While there are many times when having a strong slow like this could be useful, there are also times when having a slow effect is actively harmful. And if I had to choose between always having it or never having it, I would pick never having it every time. This should either be part of a choice node or redesigned into something new.

Supercharge

“Lightning Bolt and Chain Lightning Elemental Overloads have a 50% chance to cause an additional Elemental Overload”.

I like that this brings more value to the mastery stat for the lightning side of Elemental. In previous iterations, mastery was very much a wasted stat. Having said that, providing more power through an additional layer of RNG is less than desirable when elemental is already full of RNG effects.

Storm Swell/Arc Discharge

Stormwell: “When Tempest only strikes a single target, gain 30 maelstrom.”

I heavily dislike the idea Tempest providing direct maelstrom. Later on the tree we gain access to an RNG method of gaining tempest. Making use of tempest at the wrong time could potentially see you over-cap on maelstrom very easily.

I also don’t think limiting the targets to just 1 is going to be effective. There are VERY few fights in either dungeons, delves or raids that are truly single target. If there are any additional adds in the vicinity and you just happen to clip one, that’s it, you’ve wasted your Storm Swell benefits.

I would much rather see this talent provide a % increase to maelstrom generation for a set amount of time as well as removing the 1 target cap.

Arc Discharge: “When Tempest strikes more than one target, your next 3 Chain lightning spells are instant cast and deal 75% increased damage”

Possibly my favorite talent in the entire tree. This feels great in aoe and is very fun to use. However, much like with Storm Swell, the target restriction feels awkward. Feeling the need to NOT cast Tempest on a single target because adds will be spawning in a few seconds feels really bad. I don’t see the need for there to be a limiting factor on obtaining the buff.

Rolling Thunder

“Gain one stack of Stormkeeper every 50 seconds”

Taken from our 10.1 tier set, this talent is a VERY hot topic among elemental shaman. As things are right now, there is no way to track this effect without the use of external resources such as Weakauras. The dependency on Weakauras has been a growing topic within WoW and a lot of steps have been taken by the development team to reduce the need for stacking Weakauras. Rolling Thunder seems to work in opposition of this by forcing the player into using weakauras to make any use of this talent. Please, give this a buff that can be monitored by the player so we can see the entire 50-second cycle for this ability.

Voltaic Surge

“Crash Lightning, Chain Lightning, and Earthquake damage increased by 15%”

Similar to Tempest(2) this is fine.

Conductive Energy

“Lightning Rod targets now also take 20% of the damage that Tempest deals, and Tempest also the applies Lightning Rod effect.”

This talent is not yet implemented so we can’t test exactly how this works but in theory this looks fine enough. It will be interesting to see if this will apply the Lightning Rod effect without needing to talent into Lightning rod specifically.

Nature’s Protection/Surging Currents

Nature’s Protection: “Targets struck by your Tempest deal 10% less damage to you for 6 seconds.”
Surging Currents: “After using Tempest, your next Chain Heal, or Healing Surge will be instant cast and consume no Mana.

This is, honestly, very bad. Tempest is a core part of our damage rotation and not something that is always available when incoming damage is most dangerous. Tying a defensive buff to our offensive abilities encourages the player to sit on their hands and not cast their spells while waiting for the boss to do something dangerous.

Awakening Storms

“Lightning Bolt and Chain Lightning have a chance to strike your target for x,xxx Nature damage. Every 3 times this occurs, your next Lightning Bolt is replaced by Tempest.”

This is the previously mentioned RNG mechanic behind getting the Tempest buff. Much like with Rolling Thunder there is currently no mechanic available to the player to track this buff. This also has the potential to “over cap” on your tempest spell. For example, if you find yourself in a situation where you want to hold your tempest cast for some amount of time, maybe you need the defensive buff to survive a big hit, or you want to hold so you can hit either 1 or more than 1 target to make use of Storm Swell/Arc Discharge, you run the risk of RNG casting your way into another Tempest from Awakening Storms, effectively wasting 1 cast of Tempest.

This talent also makes it possible to get back-to-back tempest casts, which sounds great in theory, but can very easily end up delaying your ability to cast storekeeper-enhanced Lightning Bolts long enough to lose out on the buff effect or to miss out on our already tight damage windows with electrified shocks.

Tempest deserves to stand on its own

Tempest is honestly a really cool ability and it deserves to stand on its own without being tied to Lightning Bolt. Lightning bolt has too many synergies within the core rotation to be replaceable. Tempest needs to be a separate button from Lightning Bolt.

With the current acquisition system for Tempest, it really needs to have 2 charges to avoid over-capping and to ease the need on delaying your Tempest cast in an attempt to work around the numerous restrictions tied to its buffs.

Too much of a good thing

Stormbringer as a Hero Tree is all about celebrating Shamans exclusivity to the lightning element (I guess we’re just going to ignore Mountain Thane Warriors). But much like with the Farseer tree, it makes me sad to see how we are actively moving away from what made elemental shaman appealing to so many. Shamans should be the masters of multiple elements, not forced into one exclusive tree. In doing so we are neglecting so much of what made many players love the class in the first place. With all of the benefits to Lightning Bolt that are present in the Stormbringer tree, its possible we get to the position of forgoing spells like flame shock and lava burst all together and just devolve into exclusively casting Lightning Bolt for our single target rotation.

Overall, I think Stormbringer needs a substantial amount of work, with access to the Tempest Spell in particular being the highest priority.

15 Likes

Additional feedback on Arc Discharge/Stormkeeper interactions.

Currently, if you get the chain lightning buff from Arc Discharge and stormkeeper at the same time, they will be consumed together on your next chain lightning, wasting one of them. Currently, it looks like stormkeeper has priority over Arc Discharge. Losing out on some of the benefits of Arc Discharge because you rolled into your uncontrollable 50-second stormkeeper buff feels very unfair.

3 Likes

From Enhance perspective so far: Stormbringer seems super sick, cool mechanics but it works far better with “Storm” build. All during early Dragonflight Storm RNG Ascendance proc spec was the best and many more people learned of it’s glaring issues.
I believe while the hero talent tree is good, the base way enhancement’s tree in at least that particular build should be looked in to. I know Wordup commented on it recently on Twitter and would have much more insight but the build as a whole deserves updates to make Stormbringer really shine.
In regards to potentially also making it work with primordial wave build, PLEASE allow the pwave double cast to work on Tempest cast. It would allow a lot more intricacy in to the spec and make it so that a bad proc of Tempest doesn’t force you to wait for your theoretical haste buff.

4 Likes

More feedback for Stormbringer Enhance. I feel like with all the new additions to support MSW generation and emphasis on MSW casts, that DRE would feel a lot better if it was changed to proc off of MSW spent, similar to the Legion legendary, instead of Stormstrike casts. This would make those big Static Accumulation refunds feel even better, and also make it feel less bad when you’re not hitting Stormstrike every available global while capped on MSW.

Cheers,
Sha

4 Likes

Here is my feedback on the Farseer hero tree from the perspective of an elemental shaman

Call of the Ancestors

“Primordial Wave calls an Ancestor to your side for 6 seconds. Whenever you cast a healing or damaging pell, the Ancestor will cast a similar spell.”

Primordial Wave is a really poor choice for a mandatory talent for a hero tree. Its location in our talent tree means that by taking that point the rest of our build is largely already decided for us. It leaves very little room for choice.it also only has synergy with a lava burst spam playstyle and neglects more than half of our kit.

The Ancestors themselves are possibly the worst “summon” companions of any hero tree I have played. Compared to the Horsemen for Rider of the Apocolypse Death Knight or the demons for Diablosit Warlock, our Ancestors are unbelievably weak and inefficient. Only lasting 6 seconds and requiring us to take action to get any value out of them means they will be useless in any situation where the player is incapacitated by enemy mechanics. Our Ancestors should instead have a set order of spells they cast on each summon, regardless of how the player acts so they can always have value. Something along the lines of…

Summon Ancestor → Ancestor casts flame shock on a target that ideally doesn’t already have flame shock → Ancestor casts lava burst on the primary target of player → Ancestor casts lava burst on the primary target of player → Ancestor casts elemental blast on the primary target of the player. This elemental blast leaves an earthquake under the target.

A set cast sequence eliminates the frustration of summoning an Ancestor only to be pushed out of range by a boss mechanic, or stunned by an enemy in pvp, leaving you to watch the entire value of your hero tree amount to absolutely nothing.

At the very least, the value of the Ancestors in aoe needs to be addressed, as currently their Chain Lighting only hits 2 targets in total (their primary target and 1 nearby target).

Latent Wisdom / Ancient Fellowship

“Latent Wisdom: Your Ancestors’ spells are 20% more powerful.”
“Ancient Fellowship: Ancestors have a 15% chance to call another Ancestor when they expire.”

Gaining additional Ancestors feels far too powerful an option to give up so I don’t see Latent Wisdom ever being a competitive option. Overall the Farseer hero tree is full of ways to RNG your way into an Ancestor army and I would much rather see Ancestors appear LESS frequently but be more impactful when they do. As things stand now, Farseer is just several additional layers of RNG on top of a class that is already overflowing with RNG.

Heed my Call / Routine Communication

“Heed my Call: Ancestors last an additional 2 seconds”
“Routine Communication: Lava Burst casts have a 8% chance to call an Ancestor”

Much like the previous talent options, the increased potential to summon additional Ancestors will almost certainly be the correct pick in almost all situations.

Elemental Reverb

“Lava Burst gains an additional charge and deals 5% increased damage”

Farseer is very clearly trying to tie itself into the “exclusively press Lava Burst” playstyle that was introduced in patch 10.2 and I feel like that’s a mistake. “Farseer” as a theme has no inherent ties to lava magic, so why is that exclusive playstyle being forced into the hero tree? Stormbringer at least has the excuse of being very clearly a lightning-themed talent option. Make use of the entire shaman kit and offer a talent to promote casting other spells instead of doubling down (or tripling down) on lava burst.

Offering from Beyond

“When an Ancestor is called, they reduce the cooldown of Fire Elemtnal and Storm Elemental by 10 seconds.”

If the intention for Farseer is to summon Ancestors very frequently, then I actually like this talent. Our elementals have been neglected for a long time now and seeing some talent synergy is welcome, even if I would prefer a different direction with Ancestors.

Primordial Capacity

“Increase your maximum Maelstrom by 25.”

This feels a little unnecessary. The fire build that will be used with Farseer already takes the talent Swelling Maelstrom, which increases our maximum Maelstrom by 50. Having an additional 25 on top of that is fine but feels like an unnecessary addition and a waste of a hero talent. Our fire builds lack synergy with half of our talent tree so we can’t even move the talent point out of Swelling Maelstrom into something else because nothing else has any value.

Spiritwalkers’s Momentum

“Using spells with a cast time increases the duration of Spiritwalker’s Grace and Spiritwalker’s Aegis by 1 second, up to a maximum of 4 seconds”

I quite like this. Spiritwalkers grace is a very cool spell and any additional benefits it could offer is always welcome.

Natural Harmony / Earthen Communion

“Natural Harmony: Reduces the cooldown of Nature’s Guardian by 10 seconds and cases it to heal for an addtional 5% of your maximum health”
“Earthen Communion: Earth Shield has an additional 3 charges and heals you for 25% more.”

These two might be the absolute worst defensive options of any Hero tree I’ve seen, and this is for a class with already some of the worst defensive options in the game. The defensive powercreep in WoW has reached absurd levels and these talents being our options is incredibly sad.

Why not make use of Earth shield as an actual defensive option by giving it a small amount of DR on a 1 minute CD?

Maelstrom Supremacy

“Increase the damage of Earth Shock, Elemental Blast, and Earthquake by 8% and the healing of Healing Surge by 8%”.

Just a basic tuning knob. Should be fine but should maybe include chain lightning.

Final Calling

“When an Ancestor expires, they cast Elemental Blast on a nearby enemy”

If this worked as intended it could be fine but it currently fires off at any target nearby, living or dead.

Ancestral Swiftness

“You next healing or damagin spell is instant, costs no mana, and deals 10% more damage and healing.

If you know Nature’s Swiftness, it is replaced by Ancestral Swiftness and causes Ancestral Swiftness to call an Ancestor to your side.”

This is an incredibly disappointing capstone. Why does the final tree in the Farseer hero talent require a capstone talent in the base Shaman talent tree to gain maximum benefit? If we don’t force our way into taking Natures swiftness, we miss out on an additional Ancestor to summon. We should not be able to make ourselves weaker by not taking a talent entirely removed from the elemental tree.

To be quite honest, Farseer seems terrible. Forcing a playstyle that lacks aoe, stacking multiple layers of RNG on top of one of the most RNG dependent classes, offering no improvements to the most lacking areas, such as flame shock management, and pushing the need to take multiple specific talents has Farseer in an awful state at the moment.

9 Likes

Some additional feedback from user ‘Wickii’…

This feedback dives into the long-term direction of Elemental Shaman, analyzing the transition from Dragonflight’s launch to The War Within and i’ll try to keep it as short as possible.

Initial Excitement

The talent trees in Dragonflight brought a wave of excitement with endless potential, especially when the Shaman class tree was first introduced. It offered a strong foundation for a class tree with a focus on utility, defense, and thematic choices, minimizing mandatory throughput nodes. While some friction existed for Resto/Elemental in the class tree and could be ironed out, my initial impression for Elemental Shamans specialization tree was one of pure hype. The return of classic talents and the introduction of new ones fueled a sense of possibility. However, my enthusiasm waned quickly as issues with Elemental Shaman’s position in the game emerged by Season 1 and became a full-blown problem throughout the rest of Dragonflight’s lifespan.

Elemental Harmony Disrupted

Traditionally, Elemental Shaman has thrived by embracing all elements. Now, however, the spec tree pushes a “lightning” or “fire” focus, further emphasized by tier sets. This creates a sense of forced specialization, essentially offering two incomplete specs in one. These “choices” don’t feel like natural extensions of our toolkit, but rather a sacrifice of other abilities for a watered-down version of both playstyles. It’s time to find a way to restore balance and allow Elemental Shamans to once again master all the elements.

Hero Talents: More of the Same

The introduction of the talent system offered a glimmer of hope for a gameplay overhaul or transformative hero talents. However, both Farseer and Stormbringer fail to deliver. They don’t offer any new solutions but rather reinforce the existing split within the Elemental Shaman talent tree. Our talent trees were already pushing us towards a “fire” or “lightning” focus, and hero talents just doubled down on it. Farseer Exemplifies the Issue: Seasons 3 and 4 in Dragonflight highlighted the problem with the current talent tree, and it seems likely to persist in The War Within based on Farseer’s design. We’re bombarded with Lava Burst casts and procs through talents, effectively pushing other abilities to the sidelines. This homogenizes gameplay, but should ideally offer a more diverse playstyle by encouraging the use of other skills alongside Lava Burst. I Love the concept of Hero Talents, but right now, it feels like putting a fancy roof on a leaky house. The Elemental Shaman talent tree needs significant improvement before layering on additional complexities. Hero Talents could be amazing, but only if they build upon a solid core gameplay experience.

Elemental shaman feels stuck in the past

Core gameplay issues:

• Flameshock Management: The cooldown on Flameshock and the reliance on Liquid Magma Totem for quick casts needs addressing
  • Earthquake’s AOE Woes: Casting Earthquake in AoE feels cumbersome due to its extended ground effect and small radius.
  • Damage Profile Dilemma: Elemental Shamans lack the clear specialization other classes enjoy. Our toolkit and talents force us to choose between excelling in single-target, cleave, or AoE, while other classes can seamlessly adapt to the situation. This lack of flexibility feels like a major limitation in today’s diverse encounter design.
  • Rethinking Builders and Spenders: The distinction between builder and spender abilities in the Elemental Shaman toolkit is unclear. Are we aiming for hard-hitting spender abilities, or is it okay for builders to feel impactful as well? The talent tree doesn’t provide a definitive answer, leading to uncertainty about the ideal damage breakdown and overall rotation. A clearer definition of these roles would benefit gameplay significantly
  • Missing Raid Buff: Resto and Elemental remain the only two specs without a raid buff. Is it time for an upgrade?
  • Ankh’s Need for Modernization: With so many “cheat death” mechanics now existing, Ankh’s lack of a reset and high cooldown feels outdated.

Advocating for Change:

While elemental shaman is currently left behind in the maelstrom, reworks rain down on other specs, some even getting a second pass, yet ours remains unchanged. The class tree is serviceable, but a light touch-up wouldn’t hurt. However, the true focus needs to be the Elemental specialization tree. It’s long overdue for a rework of any kind - tweaking, reshuffling, a complete overhaul - anything to fix the disjointed nature of our toolkit.

4 Likes

Salutations, Shamans!

This week we’re unveiling the Totemic Hero talent tree.

Totemic is centered around a replacement spell for Healing Rain and Windfury Totem called Surging Totem. The goal with this totem was to create an option that alleviates some maintenance in your rotation without adding extra abilities as well as having a meaningful new totem to pay attention to.

As you’d expect, the rest of the tree has improvements to totems in various ways and for Enhance, some extra totem summons. For this week, half of the talents have their tooltips in place but are not yet working. The keystone and capstone are fully functional for you to test.

We look forward to your feedback!

3 Likes

I think this goal was definitely achieved, Healing Rain is now (effectively) instant, and we didn’t have to gain a keybind in the process. Huge win.

A couple of concerns from the brief time I was able to play with it on the Alpha:

1. It feels hard to control where your Healing Rains go now since it can go on anyone within 30yds of Surging Totem. You can use Totemic Projection to move it away from ranged players (to sort of ‘force’ it into melee) but this means you’re also going to move your other active totems as well. It felt strange. If It prioritized melee this would feel great with Acid Rain.
  2. the Air Mote from the capstone is quite a bit worse than the other 2 options. We have a lot of cast-time reductions (Tidebringer, Flash Flood, Tidal Waves) AND we no longer even have to cast Healing Rain - so the cast-time reduction feels pretty worthless.
  3. Chain Heal is much stronger than it was in Shadowlands when we had Lively Totems as our tier bonus. This raises 2 concerns
  • If the Chain Heals fired off from Lively Totems are essentially our Chain Heals (like it was in Shadowlands) then the Totemic Coordination node seems very powerful.
  • Will the Chain Heals from Lively Totems consume our buffs like they did in Shadowlands? This is fine if they are just as powerful as our heals, however if the nodes need to be nerfed in order to properly tune the Hero Talent Tree, then consuming our buffs like High Tide and Unleash Life would be a bad thing.
  1. This tree is really targeted at Chain Heal (which is fine) but it is a button that has very few downsides nowadays (mana cost really being the only one left), and this tree seems to fire off a lot more free Chain Heals. Chain Heal is a really cool button, but it feels good because it’s not something you should be able to press super often, and I hope the amount of extra Chain Heals we’ll be getting wont diminish that.

The rest of the tree is really cool. It doesn’t seem intrusive and it promotes some talents we don’t often use (like Healing Stream Totem and Earthliving Weapon). If you’re able to nail down the problems with Healing Rain placement and keep the tuning of Chain Heal under wraps, I think this tree is going to be really sweet.

5 Likes

Feedback for the Totemic Hero talent tree:

First off I will say that I believe that the identity of the totemic tree should strongly follow and synergize that of the lash/elementalist build that exists within the enhance tree. Stormbringer already strongly brings out that stormstrike/lightning identity and makes a clear point of strengthening that build, while totemic tries to strike between the two and falls short of expectations cause of that.

As most of the talents are NYI I will provide feedback on impressions of them and how I think they could be better improved.

Surging Totem: cool aoe pulse without target cap. Great addition of damage and nice that it has a 20s cd. Would change it to nature damage to better fit the elementalist damage profile.

Surging totem replacing Windfury Totem is a mistake in my opinion. Something as big as making Windfury Totem an aura should not be gated behind a hero talent tree and should be a baseline QoL change. That would keep the button bloat the same for totemic enhance and also be a big win for enhance QoL.

Totemic Rebound: Back to my initial comment, but I believe this build should avoid placing big emphasis on stormstrike build abilities, and should instead elevate the gameplay of the existing elementalist/lash build. I think this node should do something cool when you use ice strike, like an aoe frost pulse that slows enemies.

Swift Recall: Fun utility node for faster totems, simple and fun
Oversized Totems: Seems to pale compared to swift recall but could be cool.

Imbuement Mastery: Again I think this should be something completely different. More synergy with elementalist/lash instead of trying to push this as a hybrid tree. This should do something special with totems instead of being throwaway imbue buffs.

Amplification Core: Simple damage amp, not much to say.
Oversurge: I think this could be something like hot hand procs can empower the totem, maybe every X hot hand strikes or lava lashes empower surging and searing totem to do Y more damage.

Wind Barrier: simple and consistent absorb that doesn’t over heal. I like it.

Pulse Capacitor: damage amp for totem, straight forward. Doesn’t interact with the spec much.
Supportive Imbuements: I think this could be far more interesting. A new imbue or perhaps an empowered flametongue that enhances how the spec plays.

Lively Totems: Sounds fun. I like the idea of having an army of searing totems.

Reactivity: More aoe damage on top of our aoe. Nice to pad up the numbers.

Totemic Coordination: more searing totem damage! Could be something that makes your searing totems do something cool, but not too pressing.
Earthsurge: I like this talent a lot. A fun way to do more aoe at a specific area and has good synergy with the capstone.

Whirling Elements: Really cool capstone and I like how each element has its own unique empowerment. I would change air to make stormstrike increase auto attack speed or maybe move speed.

I think that enhance has the strength of having two very diverse builds with their own unique styles of play and mechanics, and I think the goal of the talent trees should be to accentuate those. While storm bringer has its own very clear identity, totemic seems to struggle, and I think that’s where its issues lie. I hope to see some more iteration on the tree and can’t wait to test it.

Cheers,
Sha

4 Likes

Can we FINALLY get a UI similar to Paladin’s Holy Power to track maelstrom weapon for enhancement? I feel like I shouldn’t need a Weakaura to track this buff, going on a few expansions now.

6 Likes

To add on to this! Alongside UI to show up to 10 MSW, can we please have a UI visual element for stacks of Hailstorm? Or a small UI visual for pwave not being consumed yet? They’re the most often required to be tracked with WAs.

5 Likes

Some Initial Thoughts/Feedback on the Stormbringer Hero Talent Tree:

Stormbringer feels like a very well put together tree that very clearly tells you which playstyle of Enhance it is built for. It’s gameplay direction is well displayed, in terms of emphasizing Maelstrom spending as opposed to how the Dragonflight Storm gameplay was dominated by mashing Stormstrike above all, due to the nature of Deeply Rooted Elements. The gameplay loop is very satisfying, and properly cycling through Tempest casts feels great. The haste from Unlimited Power helps accentuate the faster paced feeling of the spec, and helps make a noticeable gameplay distinction. A couple things that I think could use additional attention:

Shocking Grasp - I’m not sure if this is meant to be the only option, but any sort of choice node that opts out of a slow here would be extremely welcome. Having uncontrollable, passive slows in your kit can be extremely frustrating and very often a detriment in situations like Sanguine for M+. You often feel like your damage rotation is actively harming the group by constantly slowing mobs in Sanguine and causing extra heal ticks to occur. This also applies outside of Sanguine weeks, to when you need to move mobs outside of DR shields, like Valow’s Titanic Bulwark in Murozond’s Rise.

Nature’s Protection is a very welcome defensive addition to a spec that is often hamstrung by it’s lack of defensive capabilities, especially in high end M+ where you have to often rely on externals and tank trinkets in some cases to live where other classes can naturally survive. One issue with the current implementation, is the idea of having to hold Tempest for high damage events, assuming the damage event is even coming from the target instead of being environmental. A change I would consider in order to give shamans more control over this defensive without heavily disrupting the great gameplay flow from Stormbringer would be to attach the DR to an iconic ability such as Lightning Shield, and make it “Tempest causes your next Lightning Shield cast to grant you a 10% DR for 6 seconds.” This would allow you to keep the “Tempest giving defensive value” theme, while minimizing the impact to the gameplay loop.

In terms of the UI, Stormbringer really needs in game UI assistance to track Awakened Storms stacks and how much more Maelstrom needs to be spent before your next Tempest. Without UI assistance, it’s going to be a nightmare for players who don’t use addons to track this for them.

1 Like

Totemic Enhancement Shaman Feedback:
Surging Totem does not interact with most class tree totem talents:

• The range is not affected by Totemic Focus
  • CD is not affected by Totemic Surge
  • CD can not be reset with Totemic Recall
    *If this is intended it undermines the theme of the hero talents.
  • Tremor’s soft cap of 5 is an incredibly unseen niche that leaves Enhance behind in dungeons especially Mythic Keystone Dungeons where even single packs exceed this number.

Reactivity (NYI)

• This is once again Hard-capped at 5 targets. If the magnitude of the ability does not scale with the frequency difference of Fire Nova v Hailstorm it only further reduces Enhancements performance above 5 targets.

As Stormbringer favours the Storm build, Totemic was expected to build upon the Elementalist build.

• Surging Totem’s physical damage and as a significant source of damage, this devalues talents key to the Elementalist build such as Elemental Spirits, and Elemental Weapons.
  • Elementalist currently prioritizes Enhancement’s Mastery which does not scale with Tremor.
    *Can Surging Totems Tremor deal Flamestrike damage?

The prerequisite talents needed to fully utilize Totemic’s talents are incredibly spread out on the tree and do not leave many points free to specialize in AoE or ST.

Whirling Earth
the CDR on Sundering feels like a trap as it desynchronizes Sundering from every other Surging Totem.

Whirling Fire
Aura does not work with Fire Nova to increase critical strike damage by 30% and also does not seem to be increasing the critical strike chance of Fire Nova. Yet still the aura is consumed.

Cosmetically the Tremor effect of Surging Totem could really be punched up.
Spending the Whirling Elements could also be punched up either by enhancing the spell effect of the spell it is empowering or by a cool animation on the totem when a mote is consumed.

1 Like