Little things that made Classic better

I miss when zeppelins and transport ships (and the tram) were an important part of WoW. It added depth and immersion to the game, like you were physically a part of the world…except the times when the boat would drop you in the ocean to drown lol.

Now everyone sits in major cities and just teleports everywhere. It’s lifeless and boring.

61 Likes

I loved it when an entire raid would ride a single boat or zepp.

48 Likes

Yeah…the huge PvP battles on the docks in Menethil Harbor.

12 Likes

I like the fun skills we had. Eyes of the Beast will be back.

23 Likes

One of my favorite things to do on this rogue in vanilla was wait stealthed on the boat in booty bay and gank people as the boat left. If you didn’t release you’d resurrect automatically after the loading screen. But a lot of people didn’t know that and so they’d release and have to wait for the boat again.

Fun times as a pirate.

18 Likes

Everything is better with Pirates.

4 Likes

I never played Vanilla and am looking forward to seeing how different it is. I’m mentally preparing myself for how much more of a grind that it will be. I am intending to make a younger version of this character although I hear that paladins were awful in Vanilla.

2 Likes

Umm…paladins weren’t awful in Vanilla.

10 Likes

The game being able to fully utilize the world and make things relevant throughout the whole experience.

Classic made a point to have professions relevant throughout the whole game, all of them.
Quests, raids, dungeons, reputations, made almost all parts of the world relevant at all times. They would take you everywhere.
The economy felt relevant throughout the whole experience. From copper ores to spider webs to elemental fire, the economy and reagents were relevant throughout the whole game.

It isn’t a rush to get to the “real” game at the end… the “real” game starts at lvl 1.

49 Likes

awful? O_o

They are arguably the best healers…
Arguably the best dungeon tanks…

and are really good at pvp…

10 Likes

I should say, awful/boring to level. Endgame, yes they were apparently pretty good. I am still planning to do it nonetheless. I figure that it can’t be worse than farming cobalt ore, haha.

1 Like

Grinding is really only into the late levels it may be necessary. You can however, choose your grinding carefully. If you need the rep for recipes from the Furbolgs, might as well grind on them and kill two birds with one stone. Same if you know you want that Winterspring Frostsaber down the road anyways.

But as Paladin. Do yourself the favor and spec into AOE once you hit 40-41. You’ll be able to annihilate undead crypts with big pulls. Items which proc’s by getting hit is your friends, including Shield-Spikes.

They were pretty brutal to level… that’s for sure.

1 Like

You make an excellent point there. Thanks for the pointers. Looking forward to classic.

For the first 6 months or so of vanilla I used to stand on the very back of the boat with an Azure Silk Belt equipped (15% swim speed) in case the boat sank.

Every time you took the boats there was a 5-10% chance they would bug out and dump everyone into the ocean. But if you were really prepared you could swim back without dying from fatigue.

It was a bug but honestly people IRL who ride boats would have to think about that problem every day. So I’d say it’s part of the RP.

18 Likes

If you like to be skilled at the game, there is a lot of skill in the little things. For example a Mage can make quite a career out of being CC pro.

There is a lot of epic stuff that just happens naturally.

World PVP between the top Alliance and Horde guilds trying to kill Azuregos? Yes please.

4 Likes

RIP Captain Placeholder. You’ll forever be remembered in our hearts.

That was before every Booty Bay guard became a world boss and had infinite knockback! #bitterstill

As a Druid, this was less of a concern of mine, but I would stay at the back of the boat because evil Horde would come and attack me. It was my only place of potential refuge!

1 Like

I know right? And the complaints about the portals being changed. They can’t even be asked to learn where the new portals are. How anti-immersive has it become?

3 Likes

AoE farming for mages hasn’t been a thing for some time… and man do I miss it. It always burned my britches that Blizzard removed i saying it wasn’t engaging play… .then gave AoE farming to Warriors. At least a frost mage could mess up and die.

4 Likes

I used to have /say conversations with people on the zeppelin between Orgrimmar & UC

4 Likes