132 Crashes - I have tried EVERYTHING

As the title says, I’m getting these consistently after about a hour of play. Same error, same log. I have tried every method I can think off to fix it, to no avail. First I’ll list my specs, then all the methods I’ve tried:

AMD Ryzen 5 3600
Nvidia Geforce 2060 Super
MSI B450 Tomahawk Max
Corsair LPX 3000mhz 16gb RAM (2x8gb)
WD Black NVMe SSD, and WD Black 1tb HDD
Seasonic 650w Focus+

That should be everything pertinent.

Here’s every method I’ve tried:

Reinstallation.
Repair game files.
Reset interface (Deleting Interface, WTF and Cache folders)
Disabled Discord and GeForce Experience Overlays.
System file scan.
Memory scan.
Disk defragment.
Windows Update and graphic card drivers are up to date.
Set XMP profile to auto (saw this somehow solved a very similar issue for someone else on here, didn’t work for me.)

I’m running out of explanations that aren’t hardware related or just a quirk of 8.3. I’ve also experienced some similar crashing in Destiny 2, though not as much or regularly, and MHW has had no issues whatsoever. I was dealing with irql_not_less_or_equal ntoskrnl . exe errors during/prior to this, but believe that to be resolved for now, but don’t discount that it could possibly be related.

Pastebin: QMnkTqbQ

1 Like

Markahn,

I was able to pull up a few of the error logs you’ve submitted but I didn’t see any similarities in how the game is crashing. That does indicate a hardware or driver issue.

You mentioned these crashes start after about an hour of play. Is that time faster if you jump right back in to the game after a crash? We may want to check for overheating on the CPU and GPU.

There have been some rumblings on the MSI forums about issues with motherboards and dialing back from the current AGESA (1.0.0.4b). I don’t advise doing it, but what worked for me was going back to any AGESA version before 1.0.0.3abba. There have also been rumblings on the AMD forums that supposedly faulty processors were distributed. People have since replaced them and no longer experienced the problems they had before.

Apart from flashing back the BIOS (which I don’t recommend, especially if you have no idea what you’re doing) and slapping down another $190 for a 3600 (trust me, it’s a better option than trying to go through AMD’s horrific RMA process), there is another candidate: switching the compatibility mode for the wow.exe to Windows 7. I ventured into this territory because I noticed in error reporting, wow.exe was triggering a BEX64 event.

I won’t get into what exactly a BEX64 event is, but one solution I found that was fairly common in the Googling I did was the compatibility shift. Now as to why that worked for me? And others? I have no idea. I don’t know why that would even be a THING to get WoW to not blow up in our faces. But it helped me, though I would like to do more extensive testing.

You’re welcome to try any solutions that I mentioned, though, especially if WoW is the only game you’re experiencing problems in – like I have been for the last two months. -eye twitch-

Good luck!

I am fairly certain I’m not dealing with an overheating issue. This is a new build and as such I’ve kept a hardware monitor up whenever I’m gaming to make sure everything is running smoothly. The highest temp my CPU has risen to has been 75ish, and that was for Monster Hunter: World (and this was an outlier, not the normal). It stays about 20 degrees cooler for WoW. My GPU has yet to rise above 64C for any reason. I’m skeptical it’s an overheating issue when Ryzen is reportedly safe to operate between 70-80C and I’m not reaching the top of that threshold. 61C was the max temperature clocked for WoW, or something very close to that.

And no, so far I have noticed anything like that. It’s usually always after an hour of play, almost like clockwork. I’ve done a fresh install of my gpu drivers and an going to see how that works out.

I don’t think I’d want to throw down more money for a new processor rather than rma something, especially when I still have two weeks on the grace period for returns/replacements. This is a very new build.

Update: After two and a half hours of gameplay Destiny 2 seems to be pretty stable. As the only other game to experience similar crashes I’m starting to feel a bit optimistic. Will be testing WoW after the fresh drivers and report back with the results.

Update II: I’ve been in WoW for about two hours now, and no crash. Considering the alarming regularity I was experiencing them before (at about ~55 minutes of play time) I’m feeling pretty good. It’s looking like a fresh driver install was what I needed. I’m considering it solved for now. Will update if the problem reoccurs.

Update III: Had a random restart while WoW was going. This was logged in Event Viewer as unexpected and I’m wondering if it could have been a blue screen. I had “automatically restart” selected for any failures so it might have been, waiting to see if it happens again. This was well over an hour, so not exactly like the other error 132 crashes.

Markahn,

If you’re having a PC restart that typically indicates a larger system level issue like the overheating issue we mentioned above. If you continue to have such issues, you might put the machine through an artificial GPU/RAM/CPU stress test simultaneously. Keep in mind we can’t directly support PC restarts/blue screen of death errors. You typically want to take it to a PC tech or work with microsoft to figure out any BSOD codes, but if there’s anything glaring we can at least point you in the right direction.

If you are still having problems with those types of crashes, grab hwmonitor and install it. Then, launch hwmonitor and play a game until it crashes. Once it does, check the “max” column of your test for CPU/GPU overheating. If those are getting too hot, clean the PC and take it to a PC tech if that doesn’t fix the overheating - that’d probably mean some of the heat hardware needs maintenance or replacement.

If you don’t see anything, let’s snag some screenshots:

1. Maximize the HWMonitor window and expand all the nodes on the left
  2. Scroll all the way up
  3. Take a screenshot with the Print Screen (prtscn) key
  4. Open up the program Paint and press ctrl+v to paste in the test
  5. Crop the screen if you want to only show the test, then save it as Test1.JPG
  6. Scroll all the way down, then repeat steps 3-5.
  7. Upload them somewhere like imgur and link us to the results. We’ll use those to look for more options.

If you have link errors, copy the code below, then copy/paste your link between two ` marks, it’ll break the link and let you post it. You can just copy paste everything in the box below and replace “Link goes here” with your link.

`
Link goes here
`

HWMonitor was perhaps the very first program I installed on this computer. I’ve been running it regularly to monitor my temperatures, it’s the source of the figures I’ve posted earlier in this thread. As this is a very new PC that came online the 4th of this month, I think I can safely rule out cleaning, there is no dust build up and I don’t have any pets to add to it. The highest temperature I’ve ever recorded was my CPU reaching 82C, briefly. This was not something it remained it, it simply spiked to it. WoW has been my biggest problem child when it comes to games that were running when the crashes happened, and it is the lightest load on my rig. CPU hovers around 55C occasionally spiking above 60C. My GPU has yet to exceed 64C under any conditions, that I’ve seen.

My last blue screen occurred not long after my last update here. I’d been playing MHW for a few hours and was alt tabbed watching a video while the game was still running. After that I ran a scan/repair in powershell and did a restart. At that point I started getting freezes after logging in and ultimately restored to a backup image on my external hdd. So yeah it’s looking less likely that it’s strictly a WoW problem.

I’m currently running a MemTest since a lot of opinions I’ve gotten point to RAM as a possible culprit, it’s almost been going for an hour and 40+ loops and no errors so far. Am I just mistaken about safe operating temperatures? Are the ones I’ve recorded enough to overheat? Even the relatively low ones during WoW? This is starting to feel like a problem beyond me.

Will let the MemTest do its thing for a while longer. When I next play a game I’ll follow your suggestion Drakuloth, then update with what happens or if you or someone else replies.

Update: After some thought I realize there’s one general solution I haven’t done that might be the easiest fix: a clean Windows 10 install. I think I’ll backup some stuff in drive D and go with that option, then move forward with the other courses of action mentioned above.

Markahn,

Sounds good. Of note - the HWMonitor test I recommended above was for more than just Overheating - it lets us get a general pulse on most of your hardware’s operation when the problems occur. (Aside of your PSU/RAM.) If you send in the image I posted above it’ll let me look over things and look for other issues. Your 80+C temperature isn’t TERRIBLE but it’s a bit higher than I’d like my CPU to get to given that AMD suggests you not go above 95C on that Ryzen in its fact sheet. Anywhere around 10-15C and you might hit thermal throttling, though that is uncommonly a cause for a crash unless it goes into full panic mode.

If it persists beyond a Windows reinstall, we know it’s most likely not software, but hardware related

40 hours is usually plenty long for a RAM scan. Outside of a bad overclock/xmp profile on the RAM itself I wouldn’t worry about that for now. We can always revisit later.

I do use an XMP profile on my RAM, but that’s merely to make sure it runs at what it’s built for, 3000. Should I try disabling?

Because after my fresh install I had installed WoW and was halfway through installing MHW when I got the same blue screen again. So yeah, looking pretty hardware right now.

Also I use HWiNFO, I’ll switch to monitor and have it running when I’m next playing a game, but it looks like I might be done with error 132 and my crashes are blue screens for now. I didn’t get a chance to do my long MemTest because I went for a clean install instead, I’ll make sure to do that this time.

Update: Current things I’m doing.

I’ve disabled XMP in case I made a sloppy profile and was giving the RAM too many volts or something. I’m also testing each ram stick individually while doing the normal stuff (MHW, WoW, and Destiny 2). If I get a crash, I’ll switch the stick and see what happens. If both crash, I’ll try others slots and keep collecting dump files. Having had someone actually look at a crash log has them also suspecting RAM when taking everything about my system into account. I’ll also do a longer MemTest when I go to sleep.

Update II: Yeah I’m dumb. It’s looking like it was the XMP profile all along. I think I had a fundamental misunderstanding that since my RAM was rated at 3000mhz I should set it to that. I didn’t consider it overclocking. But obviously it was, and with any overclock there’s a risk of errors. So I’m just going without XMP for now and if for some reason I decide to enable it in the future, I’m looking at 3k as the hard limit for how high it can go, not the default.

Update III: Well this was the longest I’ve gone without a problem since they started. I had one game or another running in the background at least for like twelve hours, and then I got hit with a crash. I was so sure the XMP was the problem. It seems like it helped. Now I’m going to try testing the other stick of RAM solo that I didn’t because I was confident about the XMP being the problem. Looks like it might only be half of it.

1 Like

Markahn,

Lots of good updates! Looks like we’re lasering in toward the issue. XMP is an overclock of RAM, and theoretically the RAM should be capable of its XMP rated speeds, but a lot of things can throw a wrench in the works. Other hardware issues (including but not limited to overheating, power supply issues, the motherboard not being able to stably supply the amount of power you want, etc) could be the culprit, but there’s always the possibility that the RAM sticks were defective on arrival due to handling or manufacturing oopses. The chips on them also may just perform as well as they’re supposed to - there’s always a risk that a batch of RAM may have some outliers that don’t perform up to what they were tested for - that’s what Return Merchandise Authorizations are for after all!

Since we know that hardware tweaks improve things, let’s keep testing as you are, but also snag the screenshots of a hwmonitor report I requested above. If you link that to us we can look over the whole report and try to see if anything else is behaving oddly.

A CPU-Z report may prove useful here as well Markahn.

Download the free version of the CPU-Z tool here:

(Download Button on left side of page - “Setup - English”)

Run it on desktop. Along the bottom beside Tools button is a dropdown arrow. Click that then select Save Report as .TXT - paste the report.

Pastebin that for us.

I can try both the new tool and HWMonitor, but as my crashes result in blue screens I don’t see how I can share the snapshot at the time of crash. HWMonitor doesn’t auto save, as far as I can tell you can only order it to save a snapshot of its readings at the time. Is CPU-Z the same?

Furthermore after some looking through my board’s QVL list, I looked at all four versions of my RAM’s model number on the list and found out that while yes, they are listed at 3000mhz, my board only supports up to 2933. I also have two dump files of my most recent crashes if anyone can make use of those. And I can figure out how to link it through OneDrive on this forum.

At this point I’m going to spend the rest of the week trying things and, whether things seemed fixed or not, I will probably start up the replace process with Newegg and send my RAM in. There are enough signs that I feel confident that the problem is there, one way or another. And my grace period on return/replace lasts until Feb 2nd, might as well make use of it.

2933 is the stock ram your board is rated for - here is the list it can support right from MSI

Specification for B450 TOMAHAWK MAX | Motherboard -
For AMD Ryzen Gen3 (R5/R7/R9)

2667/2800/2933/3000/3066/3200/3466/3600/3733/3866/4000/4133 by A-XMP OC mode

For AMD Other CPU
2667/2800/2933/3000/3066/3200/3466 by A-XMP OC mode

We want the HWMonitor screenshots after you have played for a few minutes. Shows us what is going on Temperature - clocks - voltages - fan speeds.

The CPU-Z you can take anytime - gives us more detail than the DXDiag report.

https://imgur.com/a/7cIcUh2

62Ttifkz

There’s the imgur link of HWMonitor while I’ve been playing MHW for 2-3 hours (it’s typically a bigger load than WoW), then the pastebin. That report is when I’m using only one of my RAM sticks to test it individually. One sort of passed after about four hours without a crash. My latest one occurred when both were in because I was sure XMP was the issue (only half right, it looks like). I think I have a bad sector somewhere, and it’d be nice to know where and for sure.

Oh for clarification, I don’t have a water cooler, one of my system fans is just hooked to the plug for the pump, so that’s why that’s there.

I see nothing out of sorts on either the HWMonitor or CPU-Z. I’m curious about something. I don’t see that you have a DXDiag system report anywhere on here. Can you create one - type DXDiag in Windows search. Run the tool - let it fully load - has a loading bar. Afterwards save the information then pastebin that.

JrBvxN2L

Scrolling through the pages of the tool, Windows found nothing wrong. If you like I can give CPU-Z and DxDiag of the other RAM stick too if I end up testing it again solo. Or both together.

if the computer came out on the 4th of this month, i would just return it and ask for a replacement. no need to trying to debug stuff when it should be on a replacement warranty for faulty equipment. i wouldnt recommend repairing it either, i had that once and i was getting it repaired constantly.

push for replacement. i had an issue on my new laptop and i insisted on replacement or i would just return it and file on my credit card.

This isn’t a prebuild. I assembled it myself. Hence all the troubleshooting to make sure I know which part to send in for replacement. 90% sure it’s the RAM. The 4th is when I finally had everything, assembled it and booted it for the first time.

It looks like you are on the release Bios for the mainboard. If you have the ability you might try updating there. I wouldn’t update to the most recent - did some research as Crosswinds mentioned earlier in the thread there is some question regarding the most recent.

https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/B450-TOMAHAWK#down-bios

This one is what I would install:

7C02v1C Release Date 2019-09-20 File Size 9.19 MB Description - Update AMD ComboPI1.0.0.3abba

I would also install the AMD Chipset found on that support page.

I’m really nervous about the idea of updating BIOS. My chipset drivers are from AMD’s website and are more up to date than those. Are you saying I should roll them back?

No I wouldn’t roll them back. Take the box into a repair shop and have them update to that Bios. Shouldn’t cost much would only take them a few minutes. You could even have it downloaded on a new USB ready to go for them.

I think it’s something that needs to be ruled out. The problem with the Ryzens is they are a work in progress.

If you are in a city the Geek Squad at Best Buy would likely do it.

One thing to keep in mind for the future. Stick to the motherboard support pages for updates until they stop putting them up. The exception would be graphics - even there I would look for Intel graphics on the support page.