Blizz tells gamerrant they want Wrath to "Feel like vanilla"

5 Likes

Remember in Vanilla when you could pay Blizz $40 to skip 90% of the game?

100 Likes

Leveling 1-60 was 90% of the game for ya? Didn’t play much, eh?

9 Likes

I mean it factually was. Just because you did the final 10% of the game over and over again doesn’t make it larger.

40 Likes

like quest waypoint integration in maps, will be cut to preserve the Classic experience

Yeah, we will all continue using addons to replace scrapped features
 How about just a toggle for those who don’t want it? Stop taking things away to appeal to those 30 people who don’t use addons.

Faction transfers will also be unavailable, largely because of Wintergrasp

HA! So instead of fixing the core issue, they have instead decided to cripple the playerbase even further. HA! jesus chris.

“We’re thinking about ways to make it not so important [to win]. Maybe there’s a way to go into the Vault of Archavon dungeon without winning Wintergrasp? If your side loses, maybe there’s a way you can still get in there with a little bit of extra work.”

Then why remove faction xfers?

“We are very committed to being as inclusive as we can,” Zierhut confirmed, “so the things we find that are a problem? We’ll fix it.”

So why remove the most social feature of all, quite literally, that revived leveling experience? Instead you’re making/keeping leveling to be THE LEAST SOCIAL EXPEREINCE one can have in an MMO.

and I love how they confirmed that things they aren’t happy with will be “fixed” aka removed. Doesn’t matter what we want.

Birmingham also explained Wrath of the Lich King Classic will not use all the UI updates, since a modernized UI is antithetical to the retro Classic experience, but it may use the framework.

Again, how about you just let players decide how they want to enjoy the game?
DO you REALLY THINK your UI matters that much? Do you not see that, easily, the majority of the playerbase is using addons to change the UI
cuz it sux.

t is like a time capsule, seeking to capture the social experience of the classic MMO without modern conveniences that can disrupt socialization.

And yet we have cross-realm PvP.
And yet we have Merc Mode for PvP

But it’s not okay for PvE. Love this double standard.

We put in features that sounded great, but made players experience less social proximity. We want to make changes that strengthen it instead of weaken it.”

How’s removing the core feature that brought players together makes the game more social? You’re literally splitting and dividing the playerbase
You just took away the feature that allowed you to play with others with ease. You made socializing in this game MUCH harder than it was.

Wrath of the Lich King Classic will need to strike the perfect balance between modern convenience to keep players interested while maintaining the integrity of the nostalgic Classic experience.

And you’re doing a terrible job so far. Keep it up.

and while only time will tell how successful Wrath of the Lich King Classic is

It’s already a dumpster fire and it will only get worse.

My mind is actually blown away by the dullness of classic team.

68 Likes

Well that’s just a god awful lie.

2 Likes

If you don’t think 1-60 was 90% of the game for the average player, then you didn’t play Vanilla.

23 Likes

At least we know it is not too long until launch, as they cut development items like the quest/map integration under the excuse of “not being like classic”, and can just let the questie authors cover that.

So this means they have a hard date set, would be nice if they shared it.

1 Like

Also, don’t you remember when Stratholme scaled up as you got better gear? It was so much more fun when you finally achieved full tier 3 and a Strat run took just as long as it did when you were a fresh 60. Because nothing says ‘hallmark of an rpg’ like stifling character progression and advancement.

39 Likes

Nah they still have to test their mythic+ system that is totally not mythic+ in any way shape or form.

7 Likes

And you’ve got horns, hooves, and a tail but definitely aren’t a goat.

aaaaaand time of death on their previously announced “pillars” is the published date of this interview.
If i wanted to play vanilla, i’d go do that. I want to play wrath, not wrath+, not wrath 2 frozen throne boogaloo, just wrath.

51 Likes

If we wanted wrath to “feel like vanilla” then we’d have stayed in vanilla. The whole point of playing wrath is to have WRATH. Blizzard is so disconnected from the playerbase that it’s sad. The people in charge of this have no idea what to do with it.

64 Likes

While I don’t have an issue with some of the changes they are making trying to turn Wrath into Vanilla is silly. The people that liked and were looking forward to Wrath were doing so because it was Wrath, not Vanilla. If I wanted to play Vanilla I would have stuck with it.

9 Likes

Blizz: let’s do mostly faithful remakes until they start not being what we personally liked about vanilla!

Sigh

3 Likes

Really feels like Vanilla with the 2.5 month phases that Wrath will have. Also how is it “balancing modern and retro mmo features” when you’re talking about removing features from a game that was released ~15 years ago. Disastrous take after disastrous take showing they simply don’t play the game.

15 Likes

That’s not coming til later.

So much this.
It feels like they’re trying to make these expansion with the spirit of “Vanilla/Classic”
in reality, people just wanna go through the expansion how they were.
They’re just playing with these expansions to piss people off.
I legit waited for Wrath because of LFD. I do not wanna suffer the Classic/TBC way anymore.

28 Likes

It should be wut

I don’t think they are trying to tick people off but I do think they don’t really understand what people want out of it. I feel like most players just want to play the game they remember, even with it’s faults. They know the faults, they have already accepted them, but now it feels like they are creating new ones.

5 Likes