11700k benchmarks: can't even out perform its own last generation

No im not. I am on the 10900k OC to 5.2 with 4200mhz ram. I am Very happy with it. If you read my post further up, you will see why I feel both AGESA and the 5000 series AMDs can burn in BLEEP.

I have no plans to do anything until 12th Gen or Ryzen ditches AGESA. I have no plans to leave a 10 core CPU for an 8 core. I am also glad as can be my 5900x is gone

They compared the 11700k to an epyc zen 2 chip in an avx test

https://twitter.com/IanCutress/status/1368235751369023492?s=19

An 8 core matching a 64 core in power consumption

Yikes

I am pretty excited about my 10900KF to be honest.

I feel as if I’ve successfully overclocked my RAM (on my 8700k/z370 anyway) to 3600/CL18.

I think that should be enough.

1 Like

Read up on what AVX2 is vs. AVX512

I’m aware avx512 is an Intel exclusive, because AMD doesn’t see reason to add it in their chips

I’m more talking about the watts when they compared power consumption

It’s specifically because it’s using a technology that allows for twice number of operations per cycle compared to AVX2. Yes it uses more power. It is twice as wide, which has exponential impact on speed.

If the 8 and 12 core Ryzen chips could do AVX512, they too would also increase in power consumption considerably.

Did you wonder why the 8 core scored BETTER than the 64 core, with 1/8 the resources? It’s like a tubro4 with a million pounds of boost + nitrous. Yeah, it’s gonna burn a bunch of gas and be hotter than a big V8.

But, as the benchmark you quoted indicates, it performed.

You will be. The 10900k/10900KF/10850k OC to 5.1 or higher when paired with 4000mhz ram of faster out performs every chip on the market in gaming. When hardwarenumbers even proved this carried into games like wow. Intel drinks up RAM speed like water in the desert

You wont be disappointed. I also have heard rumors through my work that AMD is ditching/fully redesigning current AGESA and how it functions. If this turns out to be true? I will be team red at the end of 2021 when they unveil their new CPU line

1 Like

Yes because avx512 is supposed to be better regardless and AMD doesn’t add it in their current chips

They will add it in zen 4 however

https://www.techpowerup.com/279129/amd-zen-4-microarchitecture-to-support-avx-512

So eventually AMD will do better in avx scores

And they will also be hotter and use more power - the point is that it is not a reasonable comparison because only one can do it, and the one that can do it, does it really well despite the power consumption differences.

If you want to complain about the 60% increase in power consumption on AVX2…be my guest. I’m with you.

Considering zen 4 will be 5nm it all balances out as power consumption goes down as the nanometers get smaller

Look man AMD 5000 series is a disaster. AMD is robotically auto approving RMAs atm. No questions asked. That says enough about their stability atm. 3000 series are still solid. But 5000 series is a train wreck when it comes to stability. They tried to pull an intel and push their chips to the max on the same node. They failed. Needless to say they have learned from this.

I have no doubt that AMD will have stable solid chips with their next release aka Zen 4. Until then? For stability? Your options are Ryzen 3000 series or intel. Period

Balances out to what? AVX512 on Zen 4 will still consume more power than AVX2 on Zen 4 - that was my point. The instruction set (when it’s even used) will be taxing on either chip.

You’re right though that the impact is worse on the Intel chips. But then again how many software apps do the general public use that use AVX512? What about AVX2?

And with most consumer apps, how much will it really matter if the CPU consumes 100w or 300w? Outside of cooling, it’s not going to really matter for gamers who regularly get 750w+ PSUs…and for OEMs, they’ll just power limit throttle that stuff anyway and their user base literally does not care about performance anyway.

Bottom line unless you are willing to step down to Zen 2 aka ryzen 3000 series. You just bought the best gaming chip on the market (stability wise).

I think we are all fairly certain AMD learned from the 5000 series issues and Zen 4 will most likely be the best Gaming chip you can get. We can also assume even though it comes out in the end of 2021 you wont be able to get one till end of 2022 lol

I will have to take your word for it regarding failure rates, but there may be some evidence to support it.

A few weeks back there was an article about some retailer that was claiming huge failure rates, and PCGamer fact checked them:

https://www.pcworld.com/article/3608349/ryzen-5000-failure-rates-we-reality-check-the-claims.html#:~:text=Problems%20with%20bad%20Ryzen%20chips%20may%20be%20overblown.&text=Read%20on%20to%20learn%20more.&text=The%20company%20said%20that%20of,X570-based%20motherboards%20a%20week.

While they didn’t find the claims to be as bad as reported, their source who they indicate is a larger retailer who pushes out thousands of units had this piece of data:

A third vendor provided even more information. The company said it isn’t seeing PowerGPU’s reported failure rates with its own systems. Interestingly, however, the vendor actually shared data indicating that Ryzen parts are failing the company’s internal quality screening at a higher rate compared to Intel chips—almost three times as high:

* Ryzen 5000 series fails at 2.9 percent.
* Ryzen 3000 series fails at 3 percent.
* ThreadRipper 3000 series fails at 2.5 percent.

For comparison, the company' data on Intel chips:

* Intel 9th-gen fails at 0.9 percent.
* Intel 10th-gen fails at 1.2 percent.

Now while it was nowhere near as bad as the 6% reported, an interesting data piece here is the difference between AMD 5000 series vs Intel 10-series. 2.9% vs 1.2% indicates more than a 2.4x increase in failure rates of Ryzen 5000 series chips vs the Intel 10th gen chips, and a more than a 3.3x increase in failure rates of Zen 2 vs. Intel 9th gen.

It’s unclear what exactly they mean by failure rates, be it DOA, weirdness, or just wasn’t perfect. But in either case assuming they are judging all by the same standards, that’s a pretty big difference.

But this data shows that 3000 series is actually worse, although it could be that there’s just a smaller sample size.

6 reviews on bestbuy dot com talking about their chips “died” after just 3mo of use. Reviews saying the same thing on Amazon. It happened to my coworker too. He had to RMA his 5900x. Glad I sold mine. I had issues left and right

I build computers for a living. Gaming rigs. We had had numerous people in the past month switch from AMD to intel. They all come in for the same thing. A motherboard/processor swap. AMD to intel. We cant keep the 10900k in stock

BTW the senate just passed the relief bill a few min ago. Enjoy your $1,400 check

1 Like

Oh I believe your experience - the data from PCGamer’s 3rd source shows 2-3x failure rate for AMD vs. Intel.

That’s not conclusive, but it makes you think.

They also included this:

The third vendor torture-tests systems with fully loaded memory slots—even if they’re not eventually sold that way. The vendor also explained that its failed CPUs aren’t dead, as PowerGPU reported—they just don’t pass its requirements to run low-latency or high-frequency RAM fully loaded.

So this doesn’t mean they just died, but just weren’t good enough. We don’t know what “high speed RAM” means, but I would also believe that Ryzen systems didn’t work well with high speed ram…because of what you said, AGESA.

Whats conclusive for me is when my coworker submitted his RMA. He said he was asked no questions no nothing. He said within 1hr he got an email back saying it was approved and how to start the RMA and where to send his. As I said no questions, no trouble shooting no nothing.

The fact that the RMA department has been told to “auto approve” RMAs like this says enough to me. Like I said I build rigs for a living. Trying to get an RMA approval has always been a nightmare.

1 Like

What about GPUs?

I’ve been really happy with all of my AMD GPU purchases over the past 5 years.

The exact opposite with AMD GPUs. Heard nothing but good things about the new AMD GPUs from our customers. Other than common driver issues people seem satisfied.

They are bad for miners. Great for Gamers is the common consensus

1 Like

I actually wish I was able to get a 6800XT - It was my first choice.

I’m not even trying anymore - even the non-scalped models are 2x the price they should be.

1 Like