New 9.2 brawl is a solo queue testing zone

Can’t link because I’m on phone right now but watched the q&a on Max’s stream and they said it will be a pool of 6 players where you play matches until every possible combination has been played and then the people that won the most get the rating (hopefully more rating than currently because that’s more matches per rating gain)

Not much info beyond that but they said they’ll implement it in the future as a permanent thing if we enjoy it

Thoughts?

6 Likes

Honestly this sounds kinda fun

I hope if they turn this into a solo queue system, they adopt a TFT style of rating where top 3 counts as a win and you get increased rating the higher you place

5 Likes

Agreed I’m all for solo queue systems since I played AT and it worked fine there and I didn’t have to wait to find partners for hours like last season just to hit glad range

1 Like

Morgan Day : I love PVP, and we had reintroduced Conquest in Shadowlands for players to buy their gear. As Conquest became more exciting for players and more wanted to get engaged in PVP, we often get a request about queueing for rated PVP solo.

That has many challenges, but we’re introducing a new PVP brawl with the Eternity’s End update as our take on what solo queue in World of Warcraft could look like. It’s called Solo Shuffle, and we want players to give us feedback and see if it’s a feature we can permanently add. The idea is that we take 6 players, throw them in a pool, and have them fight in 3v3 arena matches in every possible combination you could form among those 6 players. The one with the best rating at the end essentially wins.

We think that’s a unique solution instead of trying to come up with some matchmaking system that can understand meta group compositions. We think it’s going to be really fun and create opportunities for interesting social interactions, so yeah, we’re excited to get feedback on it!

4 Likes

This is a bad idea and fundamentally misunderstands why people request solo queue.

People want solo queue to play casually, but expedite earning Conquest rewards. It’s not about earning rating.

Solo queue would best be suited to 2v2 and RBGs.

2v2: Because double dps games make for fast matches, win or lose. Solo queue can match teams based on healer or double dps composition.
RBG: Because getting 10 people together for a team is incredibly time-consuming, especially with all the “metagame” gate-keepers that have a narrow view of what specs to bring. Solo queue RBGs are essentially random BGs with better Conquest rewards. (Which is what people want.)

Nobody wants to do 3v3 solo queue. That sounds like a nightmare. You won’t push rating with it and matches will take longer than 2v2. So what’s the point? It’s just going to be a toxic environment of finger-pointing and lacking coordination - but takes longer to gear.

7 Likes

Are tanks and healers going to be banned from queue then? Otherwise you’d end up with 2 tanks on a team and 2 healers on a team if I’m understanding that right. Could be alright but would’ve been better to just do 2s and RBG soloq with role restrictions.

1 Like

It’s just going to be a toxic environment of finger-pointing and lacking coordination.

Solo queue the way you described would already be a toxic environment for the exact same meta-slave mentality you described with RBGs. People aren’t going to go “Yeah wow RBGs so much variety!” they will be all “holy crap why did you even queue with that spec you trash can oh my god I hate players like you”

Also why is 3v3 solo queue bad but 10v10 RBG solo queue good? Finding 2 peeps is a lot easier than 9 and suffers from the same meta-slave mentality.

3 Likes

I think you’re misunderstood.
There was a popular Wotlk pserver that had a SoloQ option since 2009, and it worked perfectly fine, and was legit more popular than regular 3v3.

The system always made comps this following way: 1 healer, 1 ranged, 1 melee vs other 1 healer, 1 ranged, 1 melee. Tanks were not allowed.
It was a different rated 3v3 bracket.

16 Likes

I think 2s would be over so fast, no one would really care. But I agree for RBGs. But at least the time vs rewards are better from 2s and RBGs than 3v3.

I should be able to take my 20k scrub alts, get matched with another 20k scrub alt, and fight another pair of 20k scrub alts for gear progression. That is what 2v2 would look like. 5 mins for a win or loss.

I don’t want a roundabout system of gearing like this brawl describes.

You just answered your own question. Lot easier for a match-maker to put 10 people together than forming a team with group finder.

1 Like

not true at all, maybe u want solo queue for easy conquest but the entire point for most people is a click-to-play competitive outlet like league

8 Likes

I would definitely approve of ilvl-matchmaking so fresh characters aren’t instantly deleted the second they leave spawn in any arena/BG

Can’t wait to troll and try out specs or builds no one would play
Going to be fun lol

Venthyr ret here I come! My grandson, Bramot, has cautioned me against this.

3 Likes

Then it would have to be a separate bracket.

1 Like

I think they should have rated 6v6 solo queue BGs. 1 healer, 1 tank, 4dps.

2 Likes

as long as it doesnt give a glad title im cool with it.

I mean, since everyone plays with everyone, you’re only trolling yourself. Everyone gets you with the bad spec, so it’s even ground.

5 Likes

that’s a horrible take

it would be just as hard to get as premade glad if not harder

did no one play on the wotlk AT server? im so confused so many high end players loved it

i dont think you realize how easy it has been in shadowlands for certain classes to just roll through people to gladiator

4 Likes

Ret war ww bm fire mage :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

if it matches me with stunandbung ill get banned for griefing by leaving instantly.

4 Likes