1.12 AV is a huge, huge mistake

So you think people couldn’t find a route to avoid most npcs and patrols? And what they couldn’t they couldn’t just conceivably ride by? And any they couldn’t, a premade 40 person team couldn’t collectively stop, destroy them, then move on in short order and still be done with Van in like 10 minutes?

Oh and did I forget to mention your video is a premade team? You’re not going to get a full pug to do this. People are going to want to go have fun killing and fighting, not trying to zerg AV.

Have you played AV in the past 10 years? The bulk of mine was late Vanilla, TBC and Wrath. You know what 99% of every AV was? Run to the enemy base and kill the General as fast as possible. People would rather lose a fast battle than win a long one. And that’s exactly how Classic AV will be.

But whatever. It’s not going to change now, so enjoy your zergfest.

13 Likes

Fascinating because I started Vanilla in April 06. When I got to 60 in June and started AV, not a single AV I was in lasted less than 3 hours. Not until reinforcements can I remember a time when that changed.

1 Like

It’s not often a post loses me this quickly.

2 Likes

I agree with the original poster. I much prefer AV as it was when first released.

What made the initial version of Vanilla AV so great was it felt like you were truly just one small cog in a huge battle.

And at the same time you felt like a hero. You weren’t a foot soldier… that’s what the NPC guards were. You were a champion.

1.12 AV got rid of most of the NPC guards and removed that feeling of being elite. Without the NPC guards, the players became the lowest powered unit on the battlefield. We became the foot soldiers. And the battlefield no longer felt like a huge battle.

This was not a good thing even if the matches were shorter.

25 Likes

You had a different experience than Mogar, he has now added you to his “troll list”.

I was there, I remember the difference (I ranked up to Marshal at lvl 60). I remember the feeling of a classic battleground AV playing to the death, summoning Ivus the Forest Lord, using the Cavalry or using the Air support.

How about you do this since 95% of you do not remember or know what the real feel of AV was about, take a few minutes and READ UP on CLASSIC AV FEEL:

http:// www (DOT)blizzardguides(DOT)com/alterac_valley_av_guide.html

IF you read that guide, I promise you wouldn’t want nothing less than patch 1.5, I guarantee it!

16 Likes

You can ignore reality if you’d like.

6 Likes

orly

Zergfest AV was pug’d out all the time.

5 Likes

Blizzard has set their mind on the 1.12 AV map. This means the extended map is likely out of reach as far as requests go.

However, if we respectfully request they revert the nerf to the NPC’s as well as add all the removed ones as well as Korrak back to the game, that’s a compromise they may actually entertain.

Please don’t lash out in anger, instead remain calm and make your requests reasonable. Adding a bunch of NPC’s and Korrak back into 1.12 AV is a lot more reasonable than freaking out and screaming that Blizzard doesn’t care and you’ll only settle for 1.5 AV.

11 Likes

It’s certainly disappointing.

As I said in the other thread, it won’t stop me from playing Classic, but it is no longer a mark in the “Pro” column. It doesn’t move all the way to “Con”, but it’s not a selling point anymore.

Personally, I’d be perfectly happy with 1.8 AV and I’d accept 1.10 AV as ‘good enough to still be a pro, even if it’s not what I’d pick in a perfect world’.

7 Likes

Not talking about “zergfest” talking about the video that Mogar linked.

And as I said, “zerfest” was not something that happened on my servers/battlegroup

Was the lack of a zerg fest due to the NPC’s and map? Or due to the players participating in the BG?

Private servers have done their best recently to recreate old AV to the best of their ability, with the mines and increase NPC’s etc etc and AV zerg is the norm on them. If you defend your base BG chat is usually filled with people calling you all sorts of names for making the game take longer.

“All North!” or “All South!”

1 Like

Alterac Valley is not a minor element. I also disagree with your claim. The people most interested in Classic are the ones who most desire for it to be the best it can be.

7 Likes

Appreciate your point. To me, It is one BG among a few, one thing to do within a World of experiences. It is minor, to me, and turtles/week long Av’s are fun just a couple times, for most folks. Very thankful 1.12 is where it’s gonna be at!

To be fair regardless of the experiences we had on our servers back in the day, the knowledge of zerging AV 1.12 is out there.

I’ll still play regardless, but if even if it wasn’t common on your server it’ll likely be a lot more common on Classic since that information is now widely available.

5 Likes

Depends on the server, KJ No we ZERG HARD on weekends, under 15 min games where the name of the game. People wanted that exalted. and X realm bg’s did not help that haha. Can you make 1.12 be a day long? Sure, will most people? Nay.

4 Likes

For the 4th time, because people didn’t know any better. They didn’t know they could do it, and the mentality of the players back then was radically different. 1.12 AV caters to the Current WoW mentality: zerg. And that’s what players will do in Classic.

7 Likes

Time and again I have lobbied for 1.7. It was the updated map, but the mobs and NPCs were still in and at full strength. The only meaningful things missing were shredder/mines.

Earlier in the thread the “designer” of AV was quoted as saying that early AV was not popular. A ton of people were still leveling at that point, and very few who played the BG knew the ins and outs of it. Hell, I recall my first zone-in: was mid BG and I had no idea which direction to even head to or what I was supposed to be doing.

Also earlier in the thread it was brought up that the BG became quicker as people geared up. If that’s the case, why all the nerfs?

15 Likes

I think it will be just fine. I’ve enjoyed AV all these years. Yes old AV was fun, but so is this version. Players will play it and the game goes on. I completely understand the disappointment, but blizzard clearly told us we were playing patch 1.12. I never expected that it would be any other version.

1 Like