1.12 AV is a huge, huge mistake

I felt inspired just reading this post.

Because people didn’t know any better! That’s the point. Now, you take Current WoW players with this rush, rush, rush mentality of efficiency trumping the experience, and give them a version of AV that supports that mentality…what do you think they’re going to do? They’re going to zerg.

And I’m going to break my rule and respond to the above troll. The npcs were nerfed in 1.8 and nerfed again in 1.11, as well as even more npcs being removed. And what point are you trying to make by saying that players in garbage gear can successfully zerg 1.12 AV in 4 minutes flat? You’re only agreeing that this version of AV is going to be a mad 5 minute rush just like Current AV.

15 Likes

no idea why blizzard just seems to not understand what the appeal of AV is

15 Likes

I’m saying the same strategy of riding past everything would work in 1.5 or 1.6 AV. What do you think is going to stop them? You know I’m not a troll but:

5 Likes

I mean, this is really easily fixed by Blizzard regardless. They pulled the bunker commanders without pulling Van, then pulled Van and reset the commanders. You can’t do that with Drek. Make it so you can’t pull them and not Van and then only the best geared horde can do this.

I can’t help but find this video suspect though. Having watched it. Not a single player on the Alliance side was on defense. Literally never saw that in an AV I was part of. Can’t help but feel this was staged for the shock and awe of it.

3 Likes

The current version of AV is not a 5 minute rush. They’ve made changes to AV recently.

Your ignorance is showing again.

4 Likes

You can find it suspect all you want. But it’s from October 2006. This is the version of AV we’re going to get, and it’s reminiscent of hundreds of AVs I’ve done. Players don’t play defense. Two armies pass one another on opposite sides of the battlefield and rush towards the enemy base. This is what you’re going to experience in Classic. So…if you want that, good for you. Some of us wanted something different.

14 Likes

WE DO NOT WANT 1.12, WE WANT 1.5 AV, here’s why:

Here is a small list that was posted on Reddit at the URL below:

You will see since 1.5, things were REMOVED and DUMB DOWN, we do not want this 1.12 version.

1.5:

• Winterax Hold
• Wildpaw Ridge
• Syndicate NPC’s
• Mine Layers, Landmines
• Korrak the Bloodrager
• Portable Shredder Unit
• Tower/Bunker Guards
• Lots of Standing Guards
• Lots of Patrols
• Long battles

1.8:

• Winterax Hold removed
• Wildpaw Ridge removed
• Syndicate NPC’s removed
• Mine Layers, Landmines removed
• Shorter battles

1.10:

• Korrak the Bloodrager removed
• Portable Shredder Unit removed

1.11:

• Tower/Bunker Guards removed
• Most Patrols removed
• Most Standing Guards removed
• Ridiculous short battle

Please fight for and let’s make sure we get 1.5 AV.

PS: Since I can not make links, use the www reddit one and add this to the end:
/r/classicwow/comments/7czdqb/alterac_valley_15_111_timeline/

58 Likes

Well that’s not the case in any 1.12 AV I ever did. So, your video and your experience is anecdotal at best. And I have to agree with Galdor, if this is really the case, what’s the difference between 1.5 and 1.12 in this regard? If everyone is just going to zerg anyway because of “zerg” mentality, what in 1.5 is going to make them not zerg vs 1.12?

2 Likes

I don’t even want this version of AV. I want a more complete version with the minefield and shredders. Also the fact that Korrak is gone SUCKS.

BUT, this doesn’t stop me from speaking about the facts.

Fact: If those same players in that video you linked did that in 1.5 or 1.6 AV, the outcome would have been nearly the same.

Fact: Older AV battles would have been slower but as players geared up, those battles would get much shorter and would eventually lead to zergs like the video you linked.

Fact: You said:

If this becomes the norm in 1.12 AV, it would have become the norm in 1.5 or 1.6 AV too.

Opinion: I don’t think this will become the norm.

2 Likes

Are you kidding? Read the patch notes the guy just posted. The npcs weren’t slightly nerfed, they were MASSIVELY nerfed, and entire guards and patrols were completely removed from the map. I’m not saying it wasn’t possible for a premade all in tier gear might not be able to pull it off. But it would have been much, much, much, much harder to do so in 1.5 or 1.6 than 1.12. And it’s not something that would happen on any consistent basis. Whereas it will in 1.12’s version.

14 Likes

If this is true then im not so sad. Can anyone confirm this was the average experience?

There is NO chance Blizzard will go back once Classic is released. It’s now or never for 1.5.

15 Likes

I do remember doing premades with Phloppy and Phlippy in the summer of 2006 and we would still have multi-hour long AV’s. I do remember having 12+ hour long AV’s earlier than that but I don’t remember what patch it was. I’m thinking this was probably around December 2005.

Edit: Patch 1.8 was the first time I played AV and we 100% had day long AV’s. I remember waking up and joining the same battle with people that had HK’s at unbelievably high numbers.

1 Like

Seriously? Say they give us 1.5. Same scenario basically. Premade horde AV with today’s “zerg” mentality. Can you honestly tell me what the difference is between them riding past all the NPCs in 1.5 and 1.12 is other then an alternate, mildly slower route and it takes a bit longer for them to kill Van then in the video?

1.12 AV was the only AV I knew. When they added reinforcements in TBC and removed some npcs I started to hate AV.

As for some of the earlier stuff, I’d love to see it, and it would be interesting if they took time and tested it and then released a better version.

But I could wait for a second cycle of servers for that AV to come out.

6 Likes

Let’s look at the first line from the 1.11 patch notes for AV:

Battlegrounds

Not some, not many, but most. Guards just gone. Oh, and the ones that remain?

• Creatures that remain in Alterac Valley have had their hit points reduced.

This is on top of the 30% power reduction from 1.8. To say, 'Oh, you can zerg in 1.12, so you can zerg in 1.5/1.6 AV is ridiculous. Imagine cutting a raid bosses’s power by 30%, and slashing their hps, and removing a half dozen guards from around them. Guess what…a lot more guilds will be killing that boss. Does that mean those guilds would be killing that boss pre-nerf? A tiny adjustment to a boss makes a huge difference on what players are able to achieve. And these AV changes weren’t tiny adjustments; they were huge.

23 Likes

The nerf was 15-30%.

1 Like

I disagree, a 1.5 build of AV could be implemented on fresh servers as a way of hyping ppl up about classic again once/if they decide to go in that direction in the future.

1 Like

players need to stop complaining. unless you have been playing since vanilla it kills me to see ppl freak out about it not being before 1.12.

Yes the earliest stages of AV was VERY cool and fun but unless you have been playing since then, you have no reason to complain about them choosing 1.12.

The game will still be fun ppl. Please try and relax lol