10K queues - How long is too long?

Doesn’t the system try to keep you on the same layer? Even after you log back in?

I don’t know if there is any type of placeholder code in place. There probably is for x amount of time, but not really sure how that works if the server is completely fully occupied and people are waiting to log in… :frowning: I really hope this will not be the case.

Not sure if you saw where I was going with this. If it tries to keep you assigned to your home layer during login, and that layer is full, will it push you in line or will it shove you in a different layer (if open)?

I’m going to pull a lot of numbers out of my butt for a second. But let’s have some fun with math for a second. All numbers are wild assumptions, unless otherwise stated.

3k players per layer, 10 layers, for a total of 30k players online.

Let’s call the average gaming session 5 hours.

Assuming uniform logout distribution, one person logs out about every 1.67 seconds.

This works out to a 4.63 hour queue time for every 10k players waiting to log in.

So yeah…good luck Herod.

I am not going to dig up a citation any more than I would dig up one for the sky being blue.

A queue exists when people are waiting in line. What would they be waiting in line for other than logging in when the server is at max capacity?

“While we are able to fit several times more players on a single realm in 2019 than was the case in 2006, we are not going to raise that cap any further”

Since they’re talking about the population cap in that thread, it’s probably a safe assumption that they do mean the server will literally be full and at the population cap which will lead to 10k or more waiting in queue to get in.

I thought it was pretty clear, a 10k queue means all the layers are full (no idea what that number is, but many assume 7 layers of 2500-3000), so 21k playing and another 10k waiting to get in.

oh oh, I got ya, I think it will put you on the next open layer. I really don’t see a reason to lock a character to a specific layer. I don’t have a blizz post to verify this though, nor do I think we will get one.

1 Like

I understand the problem. The issue is they dont want to incur the cost of an expensive server and connection speed to handle the launch loads. Even if it meant reducing them later when it dies down

I can’t see queues lasting more than a few hours. I think retail players will make up the bulk of the playerbase during the first month, and they aren’t spending hours in a queue for something they are just trying out.

Makes you wonder if BFA players would avoid Herod specifically for that reason.

Avoiding queues 101 :
Step 1 ) create character on different server
Step 2 ) log into that character
Step 3 ) ???
Step 4 ) Profit.

1 Like

Are you new to the game, such that you are completely ignorant as to how the login servers usually act?

No. The problem is that there is a maximum number of players that can be logged onto any particular server because of constraints imposed by Phase 2. That is why there are queues; it’s not a hardware issue at all.

If you have too many people wanting to play on a server, there is no amount of connection speed or additional login servers that are going to fix the problem.

This is why Blizzard is actively encouraging players to switch off of certain servers before launch

I dunno. I think if it says it’s more than a 10 min wait, I’ll just come back the next day. I should probably do some homework or studying anyway, lol

It does nothing for login queue. It should theoretically help with server stability a little bit.

From AMA

level 2

Senior Game Producer

Chromschi

Score hidden · 1 minute ago

On the most popular servers, such as Herod and Shazzrah, we are currently estimating lengthy queue times - up to several hours or more in certain instances. That is why we strongly encourage players to use the name reservation period to transfer their characters and their guilds to lower pop realms.

2 Likes

I guess this means they believe the server itself will be completely full for these realms and the queue bottle neck is not the login server.

Me and 4 friends plan on no-lifing it for the first week. We’re all set up in the same room. All have no obligations to leave the room. One person will take a few hour nap while they auto follow the other and we’ll just be rotating nap time.

We plan on following the 1-60 speed run guide and hopefully we don’t log off until all 5 are level 60

Back around original launch a queue of 4k was 3-5 hours. Seems like authentic Vanilla to me. We ended up getting credited days towards our account but I doubt that happens this time :joy:. I’m going down with the ship see you all in line.