10.0 hunter wishlist

For 10.0 I am hoping for a couple of changes to hunters. I would like:

1. Ranged Survival returned as a 4th, separate spec so melee hunters can have what they enjoy and ranged SV can be returned.

2. Melee hunters to be given the option to dual wield alongside using 2h weapons. The most prominent melee hunter I can think of is Rexxar and he uses two axes as his weapons.

3. Improved pet AI and for pets to no longer pull mobs. It gets frustrating attempting a skip just for your pet to run off in another direction and bring an unwanted pack of mobs with it. This can be applied to warlocks and death Knights as well.

4. More pet families. Undead could have been it’s own pet family with a new set of abilities to play with.

5. An instant pet revive option. Warlocks have an ability that turns their pet into an instant cast and dks pets are instant to begin with. Hunters have to take 6 seconds to cast revive pet no matter what. Not a real big deal in PvE but absolutely sucks in PvP.

Just a couple of things I could think of that I would like to see for 10.0, anyone have any comments or anything they want to add to it?

7 Likes

If it’s to be a new spec, it can’t just be “Survival but ranged” (or, from the opposite end, the melee-focused spec mustn’t remain merely “Survival but melee”).

Sure. I don’t see why not. I’d faintly prefer it offer some unique affordances (and using 2-handers do likewise), but I’d also be fine with it merely being a vanity choice so long as we could separately loot spec out of it. (Loot specs, imo, could afford to be actual meaningful choices for loot, rather than merely the specs themselves, which might not have any loot differences anyways.)

Naturally, though the prior has never not been a good idea, and yet it’s also never much been moved towards, so I’m not sure anything will come of even every hunter and their extended family signing off on that desire.

I don’t think that’s necessary, nor something you want to balance around a long cooldown like that, lest you’d be okay with an 6- to 8-second resummon outside of said 3-minute CD.

Just shorten it slightly or conditionally merge it with Mend Pet in such a way that you can make more granular progress (though perhaps at ramping efficiency) towards that rez.

1)Quivers as cosmetic and lots of transmog options for them

2)Easier aoe option for serpent sting(for mm). For example trick shots could work with it.

3)Consecutive Concussion stunning the target after 2nd steady shot instead of 3rd. 3 steady shots take about 5 seconds to cast which stuns for 4 seconds. This is more wasted time for us than the enemy considering we arent dealing much dmg in that time. We have to constantly be in line of sight to pull this off, and if the enemy removes the concussive shot at any point(via freedom abilities), this gets canceled anyways.

4)Trueshot giving a flat haste instead of just increasing the speed of aimed shot.

1 Like

Instant dismiss

Fix pet AI - I will commit whatever atrocities the Horde demands if they fix the pet AI.

4 Likes

Agreed.

As a new/4th spec

1 Like

i like melee suv hunter you have all the classic wow versions to play all the ranged suv hunter you want and in classic wrath yes you can play ranged suv hunter as well.

I like melee survival as well, and I am maining it, but that doesn’t mean that those that liked ranged survival should just get screwed over. They should have the option to play the spec they enjoy just like we should have the option to play the spec we enjoy which is why returning it as a fourth spec would satisfy everyone.

4 Likes

there have already been 2 classic version of wow they could have played ranges suv hutner and classic wrath they can as well.

they are the ones refusing to play ranged suv hunter.i like melee suv hunter and want to see it buffed even more.

They are refusing to play it because thats not what they signed up to play as a hunter and their most likely favorite spec was taken from them for our favorite spec. People shouldn’t have to play a different version of the game to play the spec they enjoy, and its that kind of attitude that causes people to lash out and scream about wanting melee hunter removed from the game.

The two specs can coexist. They can have their spec back and we can keep our spec. Melee hunter can continue to be buffed so its viable while also allowing the ranged option for it to return as a viable spec as wel.

4 Likes

I don’t think they’ll ever improve pet AI. Sure, it can get wrose certainly. But probably for all three specs, all pets should have a blink to target effect. On a short short cooldown I guess.

2 Likes

returning it as a fourth spec

thats their choice i play the classic wow,classic tbc just to play the old enhancement shaman if they refuse to play the old versions they can just sit in the forums and complain.

the devs wont bring back the ranged suv just for a few.

So you’d be perfectly fine if the devs decided to remove melee survival then? You could always just wait till Legion Classic to play melee hunter again. Also its not just a few, there are more people that liked ranged survival than there are that like melee survival.

They should be able to play what they want to play and enjoy, the spec that existed for years and that they enjoyed that was taken from them.

8 Likes

good thing for me they wont remake suv to a ranged its like asking to make outlaw the old combat rogue…its not going to happen.

You could just put adding ranged SV or keeping melee SV on your wishlist here and keep the discussion about that in the other threads.

My wishlist would include the return of ranged SV, properly bugfixed tier sets and a dev team that knows hunter mechanics.

6 Likes

My issue, honestly, isn’t that there aren’t (likely to be) 4 specs. It’s that there’s nothing that can manage that sort of stealthy, tricky, resourceful skirmisher feel and that the current SV spec feels stuck between disparate half-themes.

We’ve never quite managed that sleek, stealthy, guerilla skirmisher feel anyways, to be fair, with RSV being only kind of hitting that identity from the side, lamp-shading its gimmicky electiveness as an identity unto itself. But, the shift into Legion firmly split us from any prospect of that, only to then largely sacrifice what we then got (not a Survival spec at all, but something at least interesting, very new, and imo equally cohesive as RSV) by trying to half-a** a meeting of the old and new with BfA and Shadowlands.

Now, what MSV manages in vestigial subterfuge is contradicted by the wasteful bravado and fireworks of rushing with a spear at people you could shoot or use of hand-tossed bombs, etc. It’s like a hodgepodge of three or more already inflexible personalities – say, a bandana-ed Rambo-esque spear-hunter, a cackling goblin “Wild Card!” grenadier, and some sort of more measured bounty hunter. No part of that, together, gives off vibes of a Survivalist, nor can the name even take a far back seat and to embrace a new eclectic theme; they don’t fit together except in the sense of having potentially a lot of tools to be made good use of, and that doesn’t go far enough to make up for the poor cohesion. It’s simultaneously fettered (especially by the obligatory pet interactions and the melee components that have so little to flesh them out now) and disjointed.

That doesn’t mean MSV isn’t fun, at least by comparison. Many of its builds are – more so, imo, than most meta builds of MM and BM. But it is a mess. And that mess is more likely to hamper any 4th spec than be solved by it.

I want a swift, tricky skirmisher. I wouldn’t mind if that could be done also via melee, if it could be done in such a way that’d actually make sense, but I think more likely that’d either be attached to an MM spec with a greatly revised talent pool by which to allow for some actual thematic choice (instead of just various shades of dull, categorical advantage), or as a spec that did not see fit to force anything else (be that melee or the likes of Kill Command as a generator) upon it.

As for MSV itself, I much preferred Legion’s approach, and would likely prefer that even more if it embraced that theme fully. If there’s to be a melee component, it should be sensible, synergetic, and fleshed out.

1 Like

Ranged Survival was vastly more popular than melee Survival so in fact keeping it melee would be catering “for a few”.

6 Likes

Shadowlands was supposed to be the “unpruning”. I want the unpruning of pets for more choices like when I discovered shale spiders had that web wrap so I had to go find where they were at to tame one, or worms with their physical damage debuff I loved vs warriors

2 Likes

If they made Aspect of the Eagle passive and then gave us a melee finishing move (eg. three strikes building in damage and culminating in a critical strike) that, for me, would play into the skirmisher fantasy.

Also, I’d really like them to replace Harpoon with a targeted crit leap attack.

ill tell it to you this way you have as much chance to get Ranged Survival back about as much chance as the devs changing outlaw rogue back to combat rogue.

3 Likes