1.12 AV won't be authentic for classic

I appreciate all the threads i’ve seen voicing their outcries at 1.12 AV. I am part of that crowd that says “no changes” but when speaking of that, I strictly mean don’t make vanilla like retail. The problem here is that picking 1.12 AV may be convenient for development but it will SERIOUSLY hinder the slow yet epic PvP authentication of classic WoW.

Modern Retail WoW AV would be way too similar to a 1.12 nerfed version of AV thus ripping the playerbase of any enjoyment of old classic WoW AV. That’s what we want, Classic Vanilla features some people did experience and want back. I appreciate and love how the dev team is taking feedback in so I hope they listen to this:

Progression seems to be a big theme in your development of classic WoW as seen in the 6 phase release plan. Part of this authenticity would be the progession of Alterac Valley, or at the very least a singular version of alterac valley that players loved. The general consensus is that long epic battles are what made Alterac Valley so iconic, similar to how the long epic leveling system is what was so rewarding compared to retail today. 1.12 AV would be too similar to fast paced BGs you would see in retail, the opposite of what players love about classic PvP. I personally think that the slow/steady yet rewarding design philosophy is what made most if not all features of classic so attractive and fun to play. This goes for combat, leveling, AV (as i’ve mentioned), gearing, and just about all that you can think of in comparison to retail’s boring fast pacedness.
Voice your opinions, let it be heard. If you want this game to truly be classic, don’t be ok with a 1.12 version which would too similar to retail AV.

TLDR; Either progress AV just like your 6 phase release plan or pick the best version of AV that isn’t 1.12. (i.e 1.5)

16 Likes

I still think whatever version they go with they are competing against the player mindset that has changed.

A majority of players in the game want fast wins. Why is this true? Go look at the win condition. It’s killing the general.

No matter what version, people will rush to win. It’s impossible to change how players have adapted the game. It’s just knowledge is out there now. People know four capping the towers, and backcapping a few is the best way to win.

3 Likes

And why should they go with what retail players want?

1 Like

Thats the thing. Unless one actually believes classic is being made as just free additional content for reail accounts that already exist, classic is not being made for the majority. The majority already have a game they enjoy, which is a game arguably “bad” to those who left it and want vanilla elements to be what they were originally intended to be.

4 Likes

If there is a race that is 100 miles long and a short cut exists that makes the race only 50 miles long. People will take the shortcut.

It’s the path of least resistance. It will nearly always be taken.

I’m unsure of what the win condition is in 1.5 or whatever version of AV people want, but if it is kill the general. People will continue their tactics of 4 cap and pull.

2 Likes

Pservers use older AV, and they aren’t long epic battles, they are zergs. If your argument for an older version of AV is that you want days long battles, you won’t get that with 1.5 AV. AV will remain a short battle because players learned long ago it is far more efficient. The only thing I will miss is Korrak.

3 Likes

If you’re referring to OP post, i’m arguing the opposite. I don’t want retail (1.12 AV would be just like retail), I want vanilla (1.5 or lesser nerfed versions/day long battles)

Whatever if people these days only want easy rewards or not, 1.5 AV is a more complete version of the BG, because it has everything that 1.12 has and even more, so 1.5 has to be the choice for Classic.

4 Likes

It’s called “Warcraft Classic”, not “Warcraft exactly like it was but with less server downtime”.

I’d say get used to that and enjoy.

1 Like

Both are authentic.

2 Likes

This kind of post makes no sense. 1.12 IS still Vanilla wow. How about less fun? Do you seriously believe that any of us have the time to battle an AV for days ? Although I was very much an adult in 2004, most people playing were much younger but now have jobs, kids etc.

What you’re really asking for is the nostalgia of those battles where no one really knew how to make it go faster. No one actually wanted to battle for literally days (Maybe once).

Be glad you have Classic AND a real Vanilla AV to play at all…

There is nothing left of the horse to beat.

“Do you seriously believe that any of us have the time-”

I’m sorry but this part of the post is just a terrible argument. The whole point of retail is for “time convenience”. Classic isn’t that. Classic is time consuming. That’s the point. Odds are if you are busy IRL you won’t be able to do much in classic at all, much less AV. Time consumption shouldn’t be prioritized over fun.

4 Likes

What? Think about your response for a moment. There is literally nothing in wow baring high end raids that would keep someone interested in for days upon end.

You can’t get those long battles back no matter what you present in the clent. People aren’t ignorant anymore nor do they desire to spend so much time for so little gain. Back then people were in school most likely, lived at home and had their rents taken care of. If you honestly think there will be an influx of 14 year olds spending days battle in PvP then GL with that assumption. For the rest of us we have more pressing things to attend to such as fishing.

Then perhaps bfa is a better choice for you?

2 Likes

This is how I see it also. But that said, I wouldn’t see the harm in bringing back 1.5.

Very occasionally, if enough people wanted to, or enough didn’t know what they were doing, they might get to experience an old-style non-zerg AV.

I’m a consumer who is paying $15/month for a product. No thank you.

1.12 is not “Classic” AV, it’s missing 80% of the content that AV originally released with.

Give us the REAL classic AV, 1.0-1.5 please.

9 Likes

The players who have the changed mindset have retail wow to play. Why construct classic with them in mind?
They will already have access to the most enabling AV for that playstyle. They do not need classic to be anything than what it was originally envisioned to be. Again, go back and read what I linked earlier about AV when it was released.

its for the people that want 1.12

I guess my biggest question is whether 1.12 AV will have zerg rushes to the opposite factions leaders. This results in quicker games because no pvp occurs and little to no pve occurs unless you count the faction leader at the end. Is this the AV they are choosing?