1.12 AV won't be authentic for classic

No what I’m saying is it doesn’t matter what version you put in there. You can have the 1.5 version in there.

But if you’re the only person who wants to fight in the middle while the rest of your team skips that and goes burns down the towers and kills the general. You can’t change that.

It’s like with private server mindset. Over the years private server players have “discovered” how good fury warriors are. On the Classic subreddit, every single survey shows that fury warriors will be the most played spec in the game for Classic. Why? Because it’s been discovered to be the top spec.

So no matter what version of AV they put in there. You cannot change how players approach the game if the win condition is the same.

I’m unsure if that was the win condition for 1.5 AV. But if it is the win-condition, people will still find the fastest way to do it.

1 Like

Those people already have the closest thing to 1.12 in modern retail, which is vastly different from the original iteration and intended playstyle.

1 Like

Yes, the zerg does and will be the order of the day with 1.12. They have said that is the version they are going with, but we are trying to get them to reconsider and use a version more reflective of the original intended playstyle.

1 Like

This. I keep asking just who classic is for? It’s certainly not the people that enjoy the retail experience.

You still seem to be missing the point. It doesn’t matter how rushed the majority want the BG to play out, but rather that the original intent was to require strategy, and that requirement was stripped out of the BG. Wanting to zerg does not mean that the OG allowed the zerg or catered to it. Indeed it was nigh impossible to employ that strategy.

I have cited repeatedlt the original webpage that outlines the original intent of the BG, how they envisioned the play. It seems few if any are actually reading it.

My kids overwhelmingly want ice cream for every meal. Does that mean that giving them healthy food is the wrong choice?

2 Likes

1.12 is nothing like bfa, not a good argument

1 Like

Besides arbitrary time limit and reinforcement mechanic, what things are “nothing like 1.12”

1 Like

Look another #nochanges crewman moving the goal posts.

1.12 AV is NOTHING LIKE Retail AV. Is it closer to retail AV sure, for whatever that’s worth… Oh have you seen the videos of pserver 1.5 zergs… I have… its the playerbase not the battle ground.

1 Like

Broken I found a link to the old 2005 tips page about AV. I cannot post links fully yet, but here it is. Figured you’d enjoy reading over this.

Head to Base
It’s now time to go to your main base. Horde players should go to Frostwolf Keep. Alliance players need to go to Dun Baldar. These are the main bases or towns for the respective sides. There are a lot of quests to pick up here for the Battleground. Many of these quests can be repeated. It’s unlikely you will complete every quest your first time playing, so don’t worry if you don’t finish everything. You’ll probably finish these quests gradually as you play day after day.

Find a Group
Alterac Valley is all about teamwork. Make sure you are in the general channel (type “/join general”), where allied players often communicate the latest news about the battle. Players also usually join together in a raid group. Ask to join the raid group in general chat. If one does not exist, you might consider starting your own raid group and asking other players to join.

Loot!
When you kill enemy players, enemy guards, and certain creatures, they will drop quest items. These items can be turned in to activate special events. Read up on these events [here]. Some of the items can only be turned in if the NPC that collects them has spawned or is “up.” People often communicate the NPC status in the general channel. If you cannot figure out where to turn in an item, try asking in the general chat channel. For organization purposes, you might want to move all the Alterac Valley quest items into the same bag and organize them. It’s a fun thing to do if you’re bored! When you leave the Battleground, you can only keep the racial quest items such as Human bone chips or Forsaken Hearts. The other items you gather, such as Storm Crystals, Stormpike Soldier’s Blood, and Armor Scraps, will disappear when you leave the Battleground. So don’t be surprised when they vanish. Those items that trigger big events disappear so that when you start a new Battleground, it will be fair. You should turn in all the items you can prior to leaving the Battleground. It’s ok to leave without turning everything in.

Before turning in quest items, consider the impact on the game. For example, if the Ultimates are not ready to be defended yet, don’t turn in the items.

There are more tips but I can’t link the wayback machine webpage. :frowning:

1 Like

If that’s the case there’s no basis for supporting AV 1.12 at all for the people who want faster matches.

Old AV isn’t available to be experienced anywhere anymore, that’s why it should be preserved in Classic the same way the old game is.

5 Likes

Bingo. People can have an opinion over what they would prefer, but these notions that it isn’t " classic" isn’t " authentic " or whatever term they want to use is buffoonary.

1 Like

This. There is nothing out there like 1.5 AV. 1.12 is not exactly like retail, but it’s closer to retail than 1.5.

3 Likes

“Old” AV was not available to be experienced a month after it was launched.

You can post them, just not as hotlinks. Just use the </> button

that further reinforces the point classic AV should be 1.5

1 Like

Talk about a retail mindset …

Fact is, few people really want what is authentic Vanilla. They may want 1.12 Vanilla, but nothing that takes the experience as a whole - even if it may differ from their experience.

They just want what THEY want which is no different than people from Retail wanting guild banks.

1 Like

Woah. Speak for yourself on what you liked about AV and which was the “best”.

This is entirely subjective.

You can have “long epic battles” in every version of AV.

Even in retail you can force AVs over 45 min…

1 Like

The data for it is GONE, Flik. There’s no way it can come back thanks to the data being overwritten when the patch after 1.5 came out.

1 Like

so make the data again if this is even true as you have yet to provide and proof of this.