Why are we punished with a colorless sepia background?

How long must we endure the god-awful, artistically devoid, sepia-rendered still image of the Reign of Chaos background? Is this Blizzard’s not-so-subtle way of “punishing” me for refunding their horrible “Reforged” game? Can I PLEASE have cool, snowy, animated, frosty-sounding TFT background back?

I read that was supposed to be some kind of “temporary solution” to “better inform” players if they were playing in Classic vs Reforged? …wat? Seriously? This was some developer’s grand solution? To make life more miserable for classic players, who permanently lost their functional battle.net client, by literally sapping the life out of the menu background? How about…idk…a toggle-button? Like the kind that ALREADY EXISTED on the Classic WC3 client to switch between RoC and TFT?

This “temporary” solution is probably as “temporary” as bridge tolls which are meant to go away once the bridges are paid for. i.e: it starts out as “temporary” and becomes permanent. We’re nearly into May and I still have to log in to look at an ugly, sepia-filtered RoC image. What in the actual ?

16 Likes

Why are we punished with a colorless sepia background?

It was stated in the patch notes which added this, that it is a temporary solution in order to make it clear to the user which mode the game is set to.

It will be changed in the next major patch. It was explicitly stated to be temporary- not a “grand solution.” you even said it yourself, so why do you think it’s a “grand solution”? It’s not a punishment, it is a simple identifier.

1. It’s a really stupid solution. Just add a damn toggle button to the main menu like the kind that already existed in classic WC3 client.

2. Bruh. It’s nearly May. I don’t think it’s coming in the next major patch.

6 Likes

I mean, the toggle button already exists. It’s in the options menu. I don’t know why you’re making such a massive fuss over an obvious, clearly stated to be temporary indicator that the game is set to classic mode.

Bruh. It’s nearly May. I don’t think it’s coming in the next major patch

What does it being nearly may have to do with the next major patch? It’s still coming unless they say it isn’t. In fact, the later it gets the more likely it would be to be addressed.

Again, i really don’t know why you’re so enraged over this. Some people even seem to like the sepia effect.

Tem Por Ary. Means “Not Permanent.” Relax. The change was made because users were often confused as to which mode the game was in because there was no way to tell until you were in a match. This change, which you are calling a “punishment,” was specifically made for user clarity sake, i.e. to help you.

You are as surprised as Blizzard was regarding the backlash to “Don’t you guys have phones?” And it is this surprise and confusion over the backlash which most perturbs most of this player-base. How can you NOT expect players to be miffed. We lost a perfectly good menu interface (that we had in TFT) for this garbage menu which, by the way, is literally just a web app running on Chrome . . . that consumes more memory than the rest of the game combined

And now, because Blizzard can’t put an obvious toggle button indicator on the main menu (like that which already existed), we are forced to look at a background which is INFERIOR to the one we had before.

I don’t know how to make it any clearer for you. Also, why do you trust them in any way after the clear abuse of trust that is the premature release of this game? Are you new to Blizzard games? Do you not remember the jokes about Blizzard’s catch-phrase of “Soon™”? Soon could literally mean…any point in the future.

5 Likes

That we can assume it is in two years? like WoW expansions?

1 Like

Soon™

:slight_smile:

5 Likes

You are as surprised as Blizzard was regarding the backlash to “Don’t you guys have phones?” And it is this surprise and confusion over the backlash which most perturbs most of this player-base. How can you NOT expect players to be miffed. We lost a perfectly good menu interface (that we had in TFT) for this garbage menu which, by the way, is literally just a web app running on Chrome . . . that consumes more memory than the rest of the game combined
And now, because Blizzard can’t put an obvious toggle button indicator on the main menu (like that which already existed), we are forced to look at a background which is INFERIOR to the one we had before.
I don’t know how to make it any clearer for you. Also, why do you trust them in any way after the clear abuse of trust that is the premature release of this game? Are you new to Blizzard games? Do you not remember the jokes about Blizzard’s catch-phrase of “Soon™”? Soon could literally mean…any point in the future.

I mean, None of this post has anything whatsoever to do with the issue being discussed. But please, rant on. I’m only all too aware of the do you guys have phones thing and all that other stuff. I’m not saying at all that blizzard hasn’t 'd up at all, because they have. But raging over a tiny fix they put in to help you identify which game mode you were in quickly because it was confusing people, seems pretty dumb to me.

You are making a massive stink over a trivial “issue” that is actually a temporary fix intended to help players.

I’m not even suggesting that I disagree with your proposed solution of just moving the switch onto the main menu or putting a logo on there. But they specifically said it was a quick fix- thus they didn’t have an asset already prepared or code or whatever, but it was something they could drop in with basically the flick of a switch, in lieu of the more permanent solution not being available yet.

What is this post about, then? If not the downgrade of the menu interface from what we had before? Before we had a working, native menu interface (not running as a web-app which consumes monster gobs of CPU), we had visually pleasing 3D backgrounds which are gone…

And every Classic player is stuck looking at a sepia image of RoC when we are stuck playing TFT. Literally stuck with TFT…even in the campaign, you can’t play with RoC mechanics; it is to the point where the RoC campaign has weird bugs because the AI can’t figure its way around TFT mechanics. Yet, despite RoC not existing, the background is an RoC image.

This whole game literally feels like a brand new development team with no WC3 experience was cobbled together to pick up the pieces and slap a game togther.

2 Likes

It’s not the most elegant solution, but you know you’re in classic mode right? So the TEMPORARY FIX is doing its job to inform you that you’re in classic mode. It’s not a punishment. Quit making a mountain out of a molehill.

Most people do not even care and some people even seem to like it. Regardless, it will eventually go away, so just keep your pants on.

I get it, you don’t like how it looks, but most people spent most of their time playing the game, not staring at the main menu. It’s minor, its trivial, and it will eventually go away, just relax already.

In other words: Blizzard believes that its player-base is to stupid to figure out whether or not its in Classic mode by going into the options, so they stuck everyone with a sepia filter?

Like, lol. You see where I’m coming from? I feel it’s a “Solution” in search of a problem. And a solution. . . perhaps. . . but at what cost?

2 Likes

Have you ever worked in game development? Because I have- and you’d be amazed at the number of things you think are simple and obvious as a devleoper that players end up getting confused by. And the devs on a game I’m actively involved with are actually in the process of redoing their entire UI because players thought it wasn’t pretty enough or didn’t evoke a strong enough feeling of the previous title in the franchise.

Mountains out of Molehills. Do you really spend so much time staring at the main menu that it triggers your rage gene this badly?

As I wait in Custom Game lobbies, yes, I spend quite a bit of time staring at a bleak sepia background.

Edit: Or, if I want to, god-forbid, sit in the general chat or some other chat channel. . . as we used to do on oldschool battle.net with its easily-recognizable chat channel system.

More importantly, it’s the FIRST thing you are greeted with when you turn on the game. Which, I think, gets back to the whole “first impressions are everything” adage.

Also to more precisely answer your comment about devs thinking people are stupid- Most people don’t go into the options menu every time they play the game. So yes, it is not unreasonable for players to be confused or not realize what mode they are in until they enter a game, when there was no indicator at the time.

The devs stated themselves that they agreed it wasn’t an elegant solution, and emphasized that it was temporary. You really should just take that to heart, since even they know it’s not pretty.

It is easier to see the error in the other so I will add.
That the principles are different, the boys will not be able to agree.

But discuss if you have fun XD

2 Likes

Yea, I think Alhanalem and i understand each other, but are talking past each other at this point.

Probably not. But it seems some people just need every reason they can find to be angry. Not that Blizz hasn’t given us any, because they have, but complaining so hard about a temporary fix has to be one of the silliest ones.

(and I will accept the above comment- I just think you’re blowing this way out of poporiton)

1 Like

I just don’t trust that it will come any time soon. And every day I stare at a bleak unanimated sepia image is another day I am reminded about how rushed and unfinished this game is.

The irony of this post is so intense I cannot even.

1. Writing a UI visuals toggle is so hard it’s impossible to implement main menu sepia switch in the options? As a developer you’d be well aware it is so.
  2. Making uninvited uncancellable changes to basic visual elements ALWAYS causes a backlash. As a game developer you’d be aware of that.
  3. Making fullscreen effect over the whole visual style instead of adding a simple status indicator is almost never a better solution, and as a game dev you’d know that.
    Ergo - you are either a liar, or incompetent.
3 Likes

You do understand you could literally make that same argument if they replaced the background with a giant white background with menu on it created in paint that said “YOU HAVEN’T BOUGHT REFORGED THIS IS CLASSIC” in big red letters right? Just because you understand you’re in classic doesn’t make it a remotely ok solution.

Can you tell me where that says “next major patch”? That’s from the 7th of Feb, I don’t think most people think “temporary” is 3+ months. But I mean, people like you will defend it, so as long as it happens at some point, it’ll be temporary to you right? Even if it’s the embodiment of Blizzard “Soon™” and could happen the day before they shut down the game.

That post was from the 4th of Feb, 3 days before the patch. I can’t see anything about the sepia filter being removed in the next major patch there either so I don’t know where you’re getting next major patch from at all.

It’s not making a mountain out of a molehill when it’s the epitome of what is wrong with the launch and the development teams mentality. Features taken away that existed for 17 years, and now, if you don’t buy the broken pile of garbage that is reforged, you don’t even deserve colour.

6 Likes