Warcraft III crashing (Mac)

The game keeps crashing on me as of lately. It usually happens a few minutes into a game. This didn’t happen as often in the previous patch. I’m on Mac btw.

8 Likes

There was a friend who had a stronger computer configuration than me but also encountered a crash. Therefore the problem is not in the computer configuration. I think it is because of an item or a unit that has a problem.

It does seem since the newest patch, I have more issues. I’m on iMac 2019 and every mission I’ve played has crashed. Can’t even save the game without it crashing.

Same here. Playing on iMac 2019 (i9, with Vega 48). Game freezes and crashes on campaign.

Pretty much on every mission. Managed to stop the crashes temporarily by deleting a preferences file (Library/Application Support/Blizzard/Warcraft III/), but the crashes are back. Currently on Frostmourne.

All graphics setting are on high. Reforged graphics.

Is there any workaround to the issue? The game as is is close to unplayable.

There was a known issue with MacOS and the Metal API causing WC3 to crash, this was resolved once before, but it looks like it may be re-emerging.

@CatwalkGhost, the crashes appear to be tied to Objective C. We’ll continue to gather information and compare the crashes if this may need our team to look into.

For anyone else experiencing crashing or freezing, please include the following details:

• MacOS version:
  • Graphics card(s):
  • Does this happen during specific campaigns, custom games, or actions? Is it completely random? Any steps to help replicate the crashes?

Thank you for your reports!

2 Likes

Thank you for the reply. Is there a workaround or anything you can recommend in the meantime to minimise the crashes?

CatwalkGhost,

Thus far the best work arounds we’ve seen so far are trying on “High” instead of “Ultra” settings and playing on the older version of mac OS - either by rolling back or dual booting into 10.14.6 with bootcamp. Can you send us the info that Caterpepi requested just to make sure we’ve got you tracked on this?

1 Like

Hello

I had to refund the game due to crashing constantly and can provide you the information from the time that I was playing reforged.

Version: Catalina 10.15.4
Graphics Card: Vega 48 8GB
Occurrence: Constantly during the campaign. I didn’t play any custom games so unable to specify that aspect.

You can see my support ticket as well where I provided a number of crash logs.

Can anyone provide some evidence of how the game runs on 10.15.5?

Moderators, please help. Keep crashing every game when i play dota. I don t play different maps, thats why i even bought the game. Is impossible to play like this, all players getting pissed off being leaver. Please tell me what i need to do to stop this ? I play on MACSO CATALINA 10.15.4

Need feedback please.

Hi and thanks for the suggestions. Will change the settings to make sure everything is on High. Will also submit a report, as suggested. Thank you.

An update: the crashes have temporarily stopped after I updated to 10.15.5. I’m yet to experience one. If I do, will post the log/error details.

Moderators, please help. Keep crashing every game when i play dota. I don t play different maps, thats why i even bought the game. Is impossible to play like this, all players getting pissed off being leaver. Please tell me what i need to do to stop this ? I play on MACSO CATALINA 10.15.4

Need feedback please.

Have you still not had any crashes as of 10.15.5? I would like to play reforged but am afraid it will be constantly crashing again.

CatwalkGhost, you and I have the same computer essentially so this would be great if things are fixed now.

Can Blizzard confirm the Metal API crash is now resolved?

Hi,

I have the same issue. Here are my details:

• 2019 iMac
  • MacOS 10.15.5
  • Radeon Pro Vega 48 8 GB Graphic Card
  • 8 Core i9 Intel Processor
  • 64 GB RAM (16 GB x 4)
  • Happens while playing Campaigns and in every chapter of each race. Does seem to be at random when it occurs. But have not kept track at which part of the chapter it might consistently crash.
  • 3 TB Fusion Drive
  • Resolution set to 2560x1440 Full Screen
  • All settings on Medium, Antialias on, Vsync, on, Max FPS both set to 60.
  • No background apps running

I have also reported this to support. See Issue ID: #73977045.

Thanks,

Happens to me too. Specs below:

• MacOS version: Catalina 10.15.5
  • Graphics card(s): Intel Iris Plus Graphics 1536 MB
  • Does this happen during specific campaigns, custom games, or actions? Is it completely random? Any steps to help replicate the crashes? Happens to me most often when using the Menu. If I boot from a save, or just go into the menu to pause the game for a moment, it tends to crash. Specifically, the music/sound runs, and I can click on the characters, but they don’t actually do anything, and then the game crashes. Had to reboot my machine 4 times in 30 minutes last night

So Was playing first chapter in Orc Champaign in Warcraft 3 Reforged and got to the point where Thrall said the horsemen look like they are dressed for war and then the crash. All settings High, Anti-alias on. FPS set to 60.

can’t play at all, it’s fairly consistent, game gets halting and then crashes after 1-3 minutes, massaging graphics settings seems unproductive, the mac I have is fairly recent

2019 imac, 4k 21.5in display (the smaller one)
i7 processor, 32 memory
radeon pro vega 20 4GB

the game was very clunky before (when it was purchased) but at least it didn’t crashed … it looked like it was going to but it didn’t

it’s crash city now

I have to say, I’m really shocked how badly this plays from a Bliz product. Seems like management really shorted you guys on development and Q/A here. There’s just no need for that from a company with gigabucks and fans. Seriously, why?

2 Likes

Crashing consistently on every level after playing for anywhere from 10-30minutes. No specific triggers by the look of it…just a crash waiting to happen every time I play.

Types of crash scenarios include:

• Freezes during gameplay (but portraits still move)
  • After saving the little square to indicate loading keeps rotating but I can keep playing (in the end it doesn’t retain the original save either)
  • When I go to exit the game the buttons work but the game does nothing (same can happen when saving too)

Running graphics settings on medium, Macbook Pro 2017 Intel Iris Plus Graphics 640 1536 MB, 2,3 GHz Intel Core i5 dual core, 8gb ram Catalina 10.15.5

Not sure if this is related, but also it goes painfully slow when on windowed mode, miles faster when on full screen.

1 Like

Had to install windows on my Mac just to get it to run, now I don’t even bother testing it on mac

Has this been fixed or do crashes still occur?

Same issue. Crashes after a couple of minutes. Dropped settings almost as low as they will go.

iMac 2019 4K
Vega 20
16GB RAM
Catalina 10.15.6