Warcraft 3: I am ready to stop being angry

I have been angry so long at this game since launch but I’m ready to communicate properly.

Going forward however I feel like there needs to be a way to play WC3 without downloading the 30gb think the assets of reforged look amazing especially the variety of paladins but I don’t see why we need to download all of it to just play classic WC3 if you could accommodate us players with not much space on our hard drives I would appreciate it.

16 Likes

Although that’s a perfectly legitimate request, there’s virtually no chance of it ever happening. Every single one of Bliz’s games is designed like this. All the content in a single client, with different license levels to unlock it.

1 Like

What about classic wow and the most up to date version of wow those have two separate clients and are both on the same battle net client

3 Likes

Wow and Wow Classic are different games.

Wow Classic and it’s analogous portion in regular Wow are not the same; whereas, in WC3R, the Classic portions are identical, or more accurately, it’s a single Classic.

2 Likes

But I don’t see why they can’t make it so you only download the data AFTER you have payed for it, even under the same client. DLC, graphics and texture packs should just work that way in general, where you pay for a license to download additional data to your client. It should be technically feasible for players who don’t have a texture/graphics pack downloaded to play with players who do. The players who don’t have it installed will just see the default or classic textures/graphics. Especially for people who just want to keep playing the classic game, it’s obnoxious to force them to download all that data.

2 Likes

I hear ya!

I was just saying that there’s virtually no chance of it happening with how Bliz admins all their other games.

1 Like

the situation is very different in wow classic as they are 2 different games. well, there are ways to do it but it won’t happen cause its too much work for a team that hardly fix footprints.

As someone who has argued with Leviathan a lot they’re actually quite reasonable. I’d hardly call them a white knight, they on many occasions have pointed out Blizzards shortcoming and found answers for people because of their MVP status. Don’t always agree but they’re pretty far from a white knight.

Idk why you’d attack their character when you’re making such a disingenuous argument trying to equate wow classic and bfa, 2 separate games and entities with WC3R, which is pretty much a patch for a game. We can argue about them taking things away that you owned and all that a different time, but at its core WC3R is pretty much a patch for WC3 if you owned the original. It brought it inline with other titles, put it on bnet, added your friends list etc etc.

Let me ask you, if you bought a game for $20, and then it came out with DLC, even if you didn’t pay for the DLC, the game patched itself to include the DLC content into the game, would you complain?

I mean WoW is pretty much the same. You buy an expac, you play it, the next one comes out, whether you pay for the next expac or not when it’s out you have to download the new expacs content onto your HD, whether you paid for it or not. Otherwise you can’t play the game.

1 Like

Oh, but it is. One is not a paid version of the other. One is not a shortened version of the other. One is not a patch to the other. One is not a base game that the other is added onto. They are different games.

My my, InMediah. You fall back on ad hominem a little too easily. Regardless of what you’re tring to spin, nothing I’ve said here is opinion. The WoW games are separate and all the license-level based games are all packaged the same way. So, your tired cliches are making you out to be the irrational one, and its those types that people need to be wary of.

1 Like

Leviathan is right about Blizz adminning all their games this way. Although they do sometimes have free, separate clients that can play with people who use the paid client, but with certain restrictions. You still have to download most if not all the game data though. For example WoW has Starter Edition which is a separate but similar client that plays the same game as subscribers, but has a low level cap and restricts trade and social features. Also I know Starcraft 2 has a free client but not sure if it downloads the expansion campaigns without paying for them.

It’s not as big a deal for games that already require lots of space and better systems requirements to play (basically more modern games), especially if they are expected to get big content patches regularly or from time to time.

But when you take an old 3 GB game, that wasn’t known to get huge content patches, and turn it into a 30 GB game and possibly with increased system requirements (even for classic), that can be pretty disruptive, especially for older and lower end PCs or people who were running out of space. It’s like a river that was calm for 17 years suddenly getting swamped by a tsunami.

Reforged is also a separate release, but one that changes how the original game works. Ideally a remastered or remade game shouldn’t overwrite the old one. Even with expansions, when The Frozen Throne was released it didn’t overwrite or really change Reign of Chaos other than the balance changes that RoC still got.

Thanks god i got my refund after one month of release (with help from consumer authorities because blizz support didnt want to give my money)

2 Likes

Imagine complaining about a game having 30GB in 2020.

SO MUCH THIS

If they were forcing the new graphics on you, fine, I’d accept that, upgrading a rig is expensive, but a 1tb hdd is $50, if that. And that’s assuming you know you haven’t bought one in the past 10 years. And if you haven’t touched your PC since 2003, I don’t think you should be the one who gets to dictate what patches come out…

1 Like

There is one problem with removing the HD content if you decide you don’t want it. Maps are allowed to support only HD or only SD or both, meaning you will be unable to play any map that supports only HD. Every time you’d want to play an HD map, you’d have to redownload all the HD content, play the map, and then if you want remove it again. This is way way worse on your drive than just having some extra data you don’t use, as the constant writing/rewriting will burn the drive out much faster.

I don’t personally know from experience, but isn’t this already the case for people who did not pay the extra $30? I think that’s why they don’t want to download the extra data.

Yeah, just got Mafia 2 Definitive Edition that was released a few days ago. Guess what ! It has 35 GB, a very short campaign and no multiplayer. People complaining about these space “issues” are delusional.

That means splitting the community and in the end it’s worse for those who enjoy multiplayer.

yes

Summary

/10 char

For me, i will never play this new art in any multiplayer game, we can’t use this, but why we pay for extra 30$ for already own game (the features even not complete - ladder, match matching, multiplayer feature …) and store more than 29GB in hard drive for the content we don’t ever need. It’s very harsh for hard-working team behind, but sorry this is ugly truth. So i think there are two options for reforged team in case they want to fix the art issue.

Keep improving all models in 4 races plus some neutral units (around 120 characters) in terms of multiplayer game. I don’t say it not gorgeous but the model - animation looks quite dry and lacks of spirit or charismatic, It similar to the stock model we can find on the internet. So, ppl can see there’s the toughest challenge for the team, they need to fix for team color, also to find balance between aesthetics in-game to fit with entire environment. So it’s hard work and takes a lot of time, sadly for now very little evidence proving it will getting better :frowning:

But they can have an easy work when making in the same recipe like other remaster game recently (AOE is an example). I think they just grab 120 classic models and leverage them, adding more polygon into model, update the texture, adjust animation base on the old one, all the environment can reuse from reforging (it look amazing).

Yeah, I think your right.