Vicarious Visions Reportedly Making Diablo 2 Remake (and Warcraft III Reforged) at Blizzard

According to GameSpot, citing Bloomberg, Vicarious Visions is reportedly Making Diablo 2 Remake At Blizzard. In the article there is a mention of Warcraft III Reforged:

“According to Bloomberg, issues with the development of Warcraft III: Reforged made Blizzard reconsider the teams it had developing games moving forward, with its classic games “Team 1” being pulled off the project and replaced by a division that is also handling Diablo 4. Among the developers also working on that project includes the Vicarious Visions team.”

Lies man, lies. Reforged is dead for them, they will never fix it as it should be. Reforged has a stained reputation and they know that. Is no more in their interest.

11 months Blizzard CEO J. Allen Brack said:
“Concerning Warcraft 3: Reforged, honestly, it’s been a bit of a hard week. Our community has come to expect really amazing things from us, and we’ve heard from them that we did not achieve that bar.”

“But we stand behind our games, and have consistently shown that not only do we support them, but we continue to build on them even after launch. And we’re committed to doing that here as well. We’re going to continue to update the game, and we’re going to continue to update the community with our plans going forward.”

How is the game now? The same.

7 Likes

I believe that Vicarious Visions will be handed Reforged. Many people are saying this.
Blizzard has an invested interest in this game since it is huge in China. To leave it unbalanced and unfinished would really look bad over there.

I hope so, but I don’t know how are they going to handle Reforged since they don’t have any experience with RTS games.

1 Like

I think the status of Reforged perfectly fits the chinese market as it is now…
Sadly “quality” has never been a priority over there… not that it is a customer’s fault, it is just the “habit” imposed onto them.
And Blizzard just added to this kind of “disregard”…

okay so what expertise did blizzard put into reforged?

1 Like

How many other companies do you know that are able to destroy a perfectly functional game that lasted 20 years?^^

6 Likes

Well they outsourced all the artwork to Asia so that it all looks blurry and inconsistent and broken, so that everyone is downloading 30gb of new assets only to activate the old graphics from fifteen years ago. But they fired all the original talented western devs, so what else is there to be done?

7 Likes

Real question, do people actually believe this? Like you honestly believe there was no communication between the two parties, Blizzard had no input into their designs, they just sent them a whole bunch of money and 2 years later tada models.

Edit: nvm checked your posting history, you’re just a racist.

6 Likes

The funniest thing is that they complain about the models.
When the models is the only decent thing Reforged had. I wish the whole Game had the quality of those models. It wouldn’t be a 0.5 … it would be a 7 or 8.

9 Likes

blizzard got what they ordered. the models are very well done. what lacks is polish and color tuning aswell as shader and lighting setup.

the 90% of the models are perfectly usable.

3 Likes

I think they need to upgrade the fps on Reforged graphics! Smoother movements, fights and micro! It’s important not just for the aethestastics to please the eye, but the core mechanics. I believe the only barrier is how it crosses the old graphics and the new graphics together. I could be wrong, but I think they just skinned the Reforged graphics on top of the old graphics and is one of the reasons why it’s locked to 30fps. If they made the Reforged skin move faster in 60 fps than the classic skin, then you’d see some weird overlapping.

If it was Reforged graphics alone, then why wouldn’t they upgrade it to a modern 60 or 120 fps+.

2 Likes

Lol’d. As you’ll come to find out, most people who blame x problem on y people are usually racist af. Gotta admit though was funny seeing the edit.

1 Like

I honestly don’t care about the model’s as I can port wow model and have better looking ones from Hiveworkshop. What I do care about is the fact that vast majority of the Features they promised were cut. The only people I know that they probably asked about the features like the idea of a lore base campaign, or any of the other stuff would have been the people who can afford to go to blizzcon. I would have loved 2 separate campaign’s 1 lore based the other being the original. I hope blizzard relies that if they abandon reforge they will likely lose a extreme majority of player’s and fans to their competitor’s and thats not a good thing. If they screw up with the DII Remastered than its likely going to be the “last nail in the coffin” so to speak.

2 Likes

You nailed it.

Outsource to some third party Malaysian studio, and the game loses atmosphere. and looks bland.

Blizzard can do better than this, or so I hope.

Mmm, I wrote this in May…

I imagine that’s how it will really end now^^

you are partially wrong.

in game development a skin technically speaking is the texture only. they replaced all the assets with more modern ones (textures, models, animations, sprites, etc), but kept the timings for the animations, so that all animations last equally long.

animations however are just visuals, triggers for damage etc follow the same timer, but animations dont trigger events, they are aligned with them - animations and triggers can also be misaligned, as it was the case with numerous units in wc3, for example the doomguard.

animations work with coordinates and time. time xy = position z. 3D animation, however, are not strictly bound 1:1 to time like a video, time is relative and animations have basically infinite resolution. if you take a video with 30 fps and slow it to 50% its running 15 fps, showing each picture twice as long. animations, however, if slowed by 50%, will gradually slow down but not stutter.

for example if a game runs animations with 60 fps (not game fps, they’re not coupled, not today that is) a set animation, e.g. reloading, is set to last 120 frames, it takes 2 seconds ingame time to reload. the animator now has 120 frames timestops to fit the animations into the 3D coordinate system. you set keyframes for the bones in your model to be at a specific place at frame X and the animations is being interpolated for the time between. if bone A is at 0/0 at frame 0 and at 10/10 at frame 10 its at 5/5 at frame 5 if the movement is linear. if you change the fps for the animation, the animation speeds up or slows down, as it lasts longer or shorter, its not smoother. its like comparing vector and 2D raster graphics. vectors can have a size attached, but can be scaled infinitely. rasters will pixel up when sized up.

its the game engine that chops down animation framerate for playback, its not the animation itself.

i tested it and the wc3 editor plays all animations with high framerate, while ingame wc3 plays all animations at low framerate. i would say editor runs full 60 fps animations, ingame 30 fps - or Hz for that matter. but its not just framerate, i guess the game actually skips frames in the animations.

if the real animation is based on 60fps the game cannot just run the animations in 30 fps, as the animations would speed up, right? so i think the game drops (ignores) frames to have 30 fps animations based on 60 fps animations and this causes jittering.

this is especially visible with the obisidian statue. its idle animation is a hovering animation, it just floats up and down. in the editor the obsidian statue floats very smoothly, ingame however the statue jumps noticably, its not a smooth transition. and this is true for both classic and reforged graphics.

so, why didnt they change it.

1. lazy.
  2. game timer for syncing up whats happening on the map. i think its very possible the game runs on a 30hz tick rate that syncs everything that happens on the map on a 30hz basis, that means it would make sense to run the game animation on 30hz (30 fps) aswell so that each frame of each animation is linked to one server tick.

no2 however isnt set in stone - you can increase the tickrate, but you need to realign the timing for the game. and now we’re back to no1 - and this also increases server load. running a 60hz tickrate basically doubles the server load, doubles replay size, doubles compute load for that operation (but this works in sc2, so yea). considering how little they care for wc3, they probably didnt want to increase server load for this game to save money. also save money on the development side.

increasing the game tickrate would be a major quality of life upgrade for old and new graphics and would have been my no1. priority for an engine overhaul. they didnt do it, like they didnt do alot of other things. so thats how it is i guess.

1 Like

Thanks for the educational input! I’ll have to re-read a few times so my noggin understands your analyses lol

Man I never had any idea fps would increase server load. :s

not the fps, the tickrate. see counter strike as a reference, for example. or overwatch had a pretty big news about tickrate aswell.

1 Like

The models are absolutely fantastic.
Everything else is problematic.

4 Likes