The Future of Blizzards RTS?

Good day Fellaws,

please do not complain about my spelling I just got problems with that. Regardless of that, does anyone knows what is Blizzardactivision doing with theyre RTS titles starcraft 2 is on live support? They said they would continue patching the game and dont want to make buy able content but ive never seen new patches expect new maps. Regarding Warcraft 3 Reforged what do they plan? I dont mind waiting 2 more years till I have a bug free single player campaing playable custom campaing like Legends of arcain with the launcher and some good models for the Hands of our lovely untits.

Thanks you for sticking through this gramar hell and I hope some of you got actual news which are promising to be Interestet.

1 Like

Blizzard isn’t interested in RTS at this point. They’re trying to get a few new titles out but delays continue. Based on their comments to investors it sounds like they want all of the releases of the near-future to tie directly to the World of Warcraft, Diablo, and Overwatch franchises.

Starcraft Remastered, Starcraft II, Heroes of the Storm and Warcraft III Reforged are all handled by Classic Games. Blizzard wasn’t interested interested in starting development on a new RTS and they pushed WC3R out with limited development time and budget to disastrous results. After releasing a huge SC2 patch, some of the top RTS devs left Blizzard to start their own studio. Blizzard then announced that there would be no further paid content for SC2 and that seems to also apply to WC3R and SCR(HotS has scaled development back further but still releases some new content). All of them except WC3R have received some cosmetics tied into events like BlizzConline. Since then, more and more people previously involved with those franchises have left Blizzard.

Classic Games is smaller than before and was heavily reorganized. HotS still gets some actual content but it’s more rare and the in-game events are really minor but they’ve received really frequent balance patches. SC2 has gotten portraits and tournament organizer ESL has helped with new maps but there have been no balance patches despite them saying they would release them when needed. SCR has received new portraits and maps but struggled with some bugs.(Balance changes for SCR were never on the table to begin with.) The next SCR ladder season is supposed to start within the next few weeks while the SC2 season begins in November with maps from the recent TeamLiquid Map Contest.

WC3R hasn’t gotten any content since release but got a balance patch this year and they still say that leagues, leaderboards, and profiles are on the way with work on those allegedly outsourced to another studio. I expect those items will be added eventually though the timeline seems really vague. Not sure about other features like custom campaigns but there will be no more work done on the main campaigns and I doubt the game will ever receive any new cosmetic content.

4 Likes

Actually in the one or two months after Reforged released, they added Single Player back into the game. There was a time when the developers were making changes.

Anybody I ever heard of who worked within Blizzard on Warcraft III Reforged no longer works on the project at this point, and the ones I messaged personally online enough to ask about their lives no longer work at the Activision Blizzard company.
My understanding as a Warcraft III fan was that the people who wrote the update about ladders and profiles mentioned above by HyperTurtle, all those people, were either sacked or told to do something else more profitable with their time. I would not personally assume that the stuff in those posts was ever actually going to happen, but apparently some of the die-hards in this forum would say that was pessimistic.

One of the ways I look at it is that a lot of players talk about “Refunding the Reforged” and they really believe that by doing that, they exercised their rights to demand a better game, so that they could buy it again if Activision Blizzard reworked the project into “the experience players wanted”.
However, I think that this financially real sort of public statement that players wanted to make was probably actually falling on deaf ears who could “hear only the money”, you might say. In other words, to an apathetical leader who can shift to be manager of any game he wants, the solution to a game whose fanbase thinks it’s OK for everyone to refund the game… is to shift over to be a manager of any other game. Literally anything else is better than a product where selling it to people might actually be them lying to you and you have to have cash on hand to pay them back later. I think that’s just how it is. I’m guessing even if I was a manager at this company, I would have to support the internal pressures from above not to touch Warcraft 3 even with a 20 ft pole. I just can’t see it any other way, really, and maybe this is my tremendous bias or maybe this is just what I see as true.

So, you asked for insider information instead of all this heresay from a random guy like me, but what I’m trying to tell you is that I think there might not be any insiders anymore. There might not be any information anymore. Maybe it’s over.

Edit: So, in hopes of being able to continue my hobby of modding Warcraft III despite the above, you might say… I have set about trying to rewrite the entire Warcraft III game as a separate program game engine not affiliated with Blizzard Entertainment, where the War3 artwork will just be one set of artwork possibilities you could input to my toy game engine. So far, I am able to play Warchasers map on this toy engine, with some limitations such as no hero skills. So, if I get far enough in my engine to Reforge it, maybe that can be the future of what you wanted.

Obviously this video is not 1:1 with how the Warchasers map is meant to play, and I gave myself a customized hero with ridiculously increased attack speed. The reason for this change was that on my game engine, agility bonus to attack speed is not programmed in yet. So, I wanted to put in an attack speed that would still be good even later in the game if I get that far.
Also, the moon key did not disappear when I used it to open a door. This was because I never programmed in the RemoveItem function. That’s also why destroyed items leave their shadows on the ground forever.

2 Likes

there is none, they’re not interested in rts games anymore, the genre that literally put them in the map now is nothing for them, they ended SC2 support a while ago and W3R was dead on arrival, their focus now is on Mobile games and expansions of their games, even if they have a “2” in the name (looking at you OW2 :unamused:)

1 Like

RTS games are a bad business. There are many reasons. Back in the day Blizzard made games they loved to play themselves. These days they just want to make shareholders happy, so there will be probably no more RTS games from them.

1 Like

They really are not. TotalWar is still there selling and growing.
The problem is that no large company has invested in renewing the genre, so we all imagine RTS games from 20 years ago.

If those games no longer perform. But a Shuter from 20 years ago would not perform either.
Look in any case with the Mass-Effect Remake. They had to re-open the 1 completely almost. Because its mechanics are already old.

1 Like

I will give you one reason: PC is 25% of the market. RTS must be for the PC only, because you NEED mouse and keyboard. If you make an RTS you INSTANTLY eliminate at least 75% of all gamers. At the same time something like Overwatch can be played on the PC, consoles AND possibly mobile (CoD mobile). It’s actually much worse than that and Kotick has some business brain cells. An RTS must be monetized like crazy for the whales and that isn’t easy or cheap.

WC2 was one of the best games for playstation…

Let’s say the playstyle is different.
And anyway there are many other inputs that can work too.
And also you can connect a mouse and keyboard to anything now.

The reason that there are less RTS for consoles is that consoles are for a different audience.

2 Likes

Total War is not really real time strategy in the full sense. Its campaign mode is usually turn based, and outside of that it is a real time battle simulator. No real time base building.

Even then the player base is small compared with WC3 spin off games like DotA 2 or LoL, who are mostly not interested in real time strategy. The issue is that there are few real time strategy players and the market is already highly competitive, with franchises like Age of Empires dominating it in recent times. Even StarCraft II was not that successful, with original StarCraft being much bigger in the Esport scene for a long time.

Most of the modern consoles, and even many mobile devices now, support mouse and keyboard.

Well, i think the burden remains to be seen on indie RTS developments and certain niches of communities that support such products, the front runner is Microsoft, Blizzard could’ve been a front runner/lead but they failed.

EA did a successful remaster of C&C, if they invest into proper C&C titles again it can easily be a matching front runner to Microsoft.

That’s how i see it at the moment.

The Total War series is not a traditional RTS, but its not missing the mark too much to call it an RTS, it depends on which title, you still have a giant world map that you can alter the cities on, and a real time battle which cause direct affects on the world map after its over.

Total Wars cooperation with Warhammer also got them alot of attraction and audience for sure. perhaps not as much as war3 spin offs, but in realm of a properly done real time strategy game its going pretty strong.

4 Likes

TBS/RTT =/= RTS.

The only thing that’s going to come out of most devs are dumbed down barely RTS games with permanent training wheels. As far as I know the only ones that even tried to do anything new was Ashes of the Singularity. Expecting another map making scene/multiplayer like WC3 is going to be even more rare.

who remembers the good old times of Populous and Homeworld?^^

1 Like

PS1 Populous The Beginning. Aww yeeeah

1 Like

Future of Blizzard RTS is the new Frost Giant company, made by blizz employees who love RTS and want to make RTS games.

4 Likes

To be fair proper traditional RTS are more common then War3, because its a hybrid remember ? :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

One of the problems with the RTS genre is that it’s VERY demanding. This greatly reduces its popularity. These games require a lot of knowledge AND fast hands/dexterity AND tactics AND strategy AND thinking a lot between games like in chess. Very few people have patience for a game like that. For every competitive RTS player there are hundreds of girls who would rather click in Candy Crush Saga.

PARATTANKAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA^^

Well, maybe years ago. Now every RTS have undread of hipster girls that forget the camera on on twich^^

1 Like

Thanks every one for theyre word,

its unfortutnet to hear that activision has given up on starcraft and warcraft just like sega with dawn of war probaly , but it seems like I gotta move on to other companys like sunspear with Imortal gates of Pyre which is just made with love and Frost Giant.

See you around fellaws till better Times

both blizzard(warcraft series and starcraft series) and activision(battlezone series, dark reign series) used to develop strategy games. strategy games was popular when the general gaming market was smart. as intellect among the market have decreased, strategy games have lost their popularity. i am still as much of a fan of strategy games as i was before however but, the majority of the market prefers shooters these days.

I won’t complain about your spelling, the only things I complain about here is WCR, Blizzard, and its mentally damaged workers