The Future of Blizzards RTS?

I trust that Blizzard is being honest about still working on clans/profiles & trust that they will keep their words also, and that alone keeps me satisfied, I’ve waited 10 years for this, I can wait another 18 months, if not 2 years for them to get this thing done right!

there is no development team anymore. they can not add more patches.

2 Likes

It’s not that they can’t, rather they won’t. If I quit my job, someone would surely replace me and complete any outstanding work. Activision could easily find people to complete this project, but they do not care, so they won’t.

1 Like

Where the devil would you find someone who understands what’s going on inside the program code of Warcraft III Reforged? Have you seen that cthulu spaghetti monster?

The only person technologically capable of understanding that thing would be a snobbish ultralord six-figure-salary C++ and Direct3D12 programmer. But anyone that educated wouldn’t want to work on something that cannot fund his own salary!

1 Like

Money talks. Again, if it was important enough for Activision, they would find a way to solve it. There is always someone out there who would be capable, but the game doesn’t generate enough revenue for Activision to care.

1 Like

But social media talks more.

And social media hates Reforged, because how can you even post online if you were playing Warcraft 3?? It’s better for you to be frustrated and believe there is no solution. That way you give the social media more internet clicks.

Money talks but Facebook is free. So why does Facebook have more tech support funding than Reforged?

I am simply stating it is possible for them to fix this game, they are just choosing not to. You are over complicating my response. It is possible. I dont care for the reasons why they wont fix it, just acknowledging that it can be done.

Are you sure? I don’t mean to be personally against you by asking this. With this technology, I just feel lost, like every user wants something slightly different from the Warcraft III game program so there is no objective “fix” or “solution”.

I mean I guess I want you to be right. But I don’t quite foresee what the fix would be… Other than some big revenue stream for “whales” to fund something and even then, what would it become in that case?

Okay, in terms of adding a ladder and clans/profiles back into the game. That is something that can be done. Sure, “fixing” is always subjective, but I think the overwhelming majority would be satisfied if we were just given all of the features we had prior to Reforged.

Well, I wont even dare to look at reforged’s code, but indeed since they like to mess with this outstanding performance browser code, they could spare a couple of minutes to add 3 lines for clans and 2 for profiles…

The old idea of an RTS is no more., well people me included often imagine that as a strategy game besides turn based ones. The only strategies that exist out there are how is that called MMO RTS-RPG type of games that often have a payment system with a random loot (A BUNCH of things to develop so you always have a bunch of things to pay for) made to give you 0.0001% chance of what you need, until you waste a bunch of money on a stupid game’s stupid items. The lack of proper RTS games (SC2 besides being on life support just cant keep people playing anymore. needs better and more interesting designs) has caused me to go into such silly mobile RTS-RPG game, so I blame Blizz’s abandoning RTS for it too … Thx to it I wasted as much as a thousand over 2 years… Yes I facepalm that I did that but a little purchase here and there, count all the purchases on excel sheet and BAM 1000 euro wasted

1 Like

starcraft 2 is not even on life support, they pulled the plug a year ago.

2 Likes

imagine if they did console versions with war3 like they did with diablo II.

… hey, Starcraft on the N64 with 2 player split screen was fun lol.

Uninstall Reforged from the server. You install the classic server.
Done Game fixed.

Do you want to continue having the new graphics? Well you do that with some of the few Mods out there, but hey using the Reforged ones.

1 Like

What future? There is none. RTS is a pretty dead genre overall, and while you can get something Starcraft in South Korea, there ain’t gonna be a Warcraft 4, that’s for sure.

Because it is not free. People pay to use the service with their soul by feeding Facebook their personal information and being forced to watch adverts and read articles you find controversial. The per person revenue is not much, but when you have a billion users…

Reforged does not have a billion users. If it did you could be sure the release would have gone perfectly.

At this stage it is more about damage control. Finish adding in the critical missing features like custom campaign support and ladder. Fix a few bugs, especially crash and sync related ones if possible. It might struggle to pay for those fixes but at least it will not forever blemish the BattleNet launcher as quite possibly the worst game on it, according to popular opinion.

The browser is based on Chromium which is used by Chrome. It is pretty much the highest performance browser engine available. The fact it has issues using hardware acceleration correctly on some hardware configurations is another issue and nothing to do with the speed of the browser engine.

It will need a lot more than that. Especially given that there will be server side database code needed for that.

It still exists in the form of games like Age of Empires IV. Problem is the player pool is not very big and much like DotA2 vs Heroes of the Storm, they are very fussy about what they want. Even if Blizzard hired back all their old programmers and a lot of new skilled talent and created the ultimate Warcraft IV it is unlikely they would take any market share from Age of Empires, or even obtain a player base similar to Warcraft III or StarCraft II had over the years. If they give the project a budget appropriate to the expected returns then people will complain it is a bad game and so they lose even the small existing player base.

Likely not permitted by the console makers. Last thing they want is an arbitrary code execution exploit being used to take full control over the console and allow the player to actually own the processor in the console.

Not that easy. The old server build might have significant problems on modern infrastructure to the point it might not even run or be open to a host of vulnerabilities due to lack of updates.

Not a avalid reason. Bugs and exploits can be fixed. I’m sure Old D2 had a plethora of unaddressed exploits. They still made a console version with the remaster.

You know right that even if you buy a Ferrari, you can totally **** at driving right?
They clearly showed that they cannot even implement 1 single line of code to default to the correct graphic card. It’s 1 line in the chromium language specification.

That was a sarcastic comment…

1 Like

Okay. Then install a huge HAMACHI

I guess this goes back to the old saying, if something is just… universally free, then the consumer is the product.

Why go there ? adding ladder is not going to be to the same quality/effort and long term support W3Champions is, so why bother.

And what promise do we have that adding Custom Campaigns back means properly including everything like the 3D animated backgrounds and how they functioned, and all the menus related to that.

Realistically speaking, you’re right about the smaller issues like Engineering Upgrade or Techtree-requirements bug, and so, so many other things will not be fixed, but morally i just can’t ever accept or forgive them for that. not sure how to feel about this.

i’m not sure about that, Firefox is far more powerful. doesn’t matter for me either way, i’m a fan of the game having its own UI. that way its more functional, and especially for a game like warcraft 3.

Have you seen the bloody UI ? it clips and claps around like a poorly editted youtube video, the gears and chains for every move of the menus only move in one direction while in the original game the rotated properly. its such a garbage piece of work.

The endgame scorescreen doesnt even utilize or allow classic graphics/mode users to utilize the far cooler looking artistically crafted older scorescreen, the team color switch function is gone, and no one can no longer put custom art behind there that’s map specific, its just a dull looking depressing UI.

Every time i load Reforged up in my face, its a race between getting in the game before i get disgusted and depressed of the trainwreck that is this UI. defending hypothetical situation where a UI like this actually worked doesnt really address any of its problems nor fix anything.

And i bet, for a proper offline mode, an actual UI would function better, while a browser UI would fart, this is probably why the clipping and cutting out and images being left wide open without moving where they’re suppose to are further increased when i force launch the game in offline mode. its a cheap excuse for an RTS UI is what it is, and even that’s insulting, atleast Iron Man made his super suit in a cave with no help.

I just keep looking at so many other older rts titles that came after and in the era of war3 and am consistently reminded what properly crafted good UI looks like.

I agree ? (surprising i know) but i just want them to dump this garbage UI and garbage servers in the trashcan and provide something the game deserves. lol

Surprisingly the number of people who believed there is good in 1.31.1 live version was greater then i expected, i used to support this idea but back when it was relevant, basically, a live 1.31.1 would never go down in the first place until they fix the damn game. now its way passed that point.

Maybe if certain companies did their job right things would go better, like idk, Blizzard leading the charge side by side with Microsoft. a good war3 remaster could stand against AoE123DE+4 and whatever else big or small RTS’s being developed in the woodwork combined and remain the champion it truly is.

but with that said, i no longer believe RTS is in a super dead state, because of the upcoming projects, interests, and majour AAA games supporting the genre. its not exactly Call of Duty or Dota 2 but its doing fine.

1 Like