The Culling 2018 Demo vs The Culling imported into Beta 2019

https://www.reddit.com/r/warcraft3/comments/e30o7r/real_comparison_between_blizzcon_the_culling_and/

From Reddit by poster Boskee

Enough with the bull___ comparisons between the two builds. This is actual comparison between The Culling as seen at Blizzcon 2018, and the old The Culling mission loaded in Reforged Beta. Not only did the previous poster compare two different tilesets (Cityscape in the culling vs lordearon summer in his recreation), he skipped things like environmental fog - which is present in the mission. This comparison is much more representative of the differences than that FUD-spreading bullshot.
Note that the beta fog has a distinctive blue tint to it, as I haven’t changed its colour settings in the World Editor. I’m sure if I changed it to grey it would look even closer.

Just wanted to post this because I found it more interesting comparing the campaign map to itself rather than comparing to melee settings. We can see that the terrain does not seem as good and the shadows are not as strong as in the 2018 Demo, but overall (other than the blue tint) it looks fairly close to the 2018 version. Much more so than just comparing a regular melee game.

At least the campaign will look closer to what we expect it to be, even if melee will retain the saturated looks of original WC3.

16 Likes

I insist. 2018 demo look like running on SC2 engine: the fog, view and distant distortion, detail, shadows, FOV, UI, lighting, all look like a good SC2 mod. Blizzard should be done this from the very beginning, a real Reforged in a real and current engine. People how like classic War3, can stick to the classic client. People who want a Reforged, will stick to the new version and everybody happy.

13 Likes

I just hopped in photoshop and made a comparison myself.

https://i.ibb.co/6tcmqRp/reforged.jpg

I basically just darkened and desaturated the current beta shot, and did the reverse to the 2018 demo, and what you get is an ugly dark stripe going across the middle that represents the “realism” that is the 2018 version…

@Triceron be nice if you could post my photo :slight_smile: I don’t have enough street cred to post images yet apparently… :frowning:

1 Like

Here you go :slight_smile:

7 Likes

Thanks.

Yeah the shadows are obviously way more intense in the Blizzcon demo… Personally I don’t see why anyone would want to play Warcraft 3 with RTX looking black shadows everywhere. It’s like every single unit on the screen is playing shadow puppets.

Other than that the units look identical… not so much under that thick grey fog covering everything, but when things are brightened up, you’re looking at literally the same f&*#ing game…

3 Likes

@Triceron I think we all were already aware they weren’t going to scrap their progress on the culling mission (that would suck if they went back and redid it to make it worse). It’s what we have in the current beta that concerns me (melee does not look nearly as good as the demo. Plus no shadows). Plus that 2019 UI. Ew

1 Like

The 2018 demo still better, better shadows, better colors, better UI and visual effects in geral.

13 Likes

The comparison here is the graphics, not the work they did on the culling mission being scrapped. This is the old culling mission ported into the beta shows what the game looks like with extra effects like fog and different lighting in effect.

And you can see shadows are present, they’re just fainter than in the original demo.

3 Likes

Myhria: “…2018 demo still better, graphic better, all BETTER, GOOD EFFECT”

https://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/warcraft3/u/Myhria-11201/activity/replies

^ this one line he spams over and over, is like 90% of his post history. He just logs on every day and spams this in every topic.

9 Likes

OMG, no! I was really looking forward to the retconed map! D:

Bro where’s the smiley emoticon with hearts ? You disappointed me :pensive: .

The new map layout will be there. Who said they scrapped it? This is the old campaign (warcraft III: the reign of chaos) imported into the editor with reforged models and tested. No one has access to the new campaign. What they scrapped are the fancy cutscenes at beginning and at the end of each mission (like when Arthas asks to Uther to purge the city).

1 Like

I hope they’d at least keep the ones that were already done :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

Compare the trees… Why change the damn trees? They where far better in 2018 demos.

12 Likes

Looking good. But the crybabies won’t stop complaining, that’s all they do.

3 Likes

And you’re complaining about people complaining. As paying customers people have the right to complain if they don’t like something.

4 Likes

this is the real compersion

x_https://i.redd.it/joyqtrf67o141.jpg

4 Likes

That comparison still makes the current game look worse despite the desaturation.
I can’t understand how you don’t see the obvious difference in lighting.

2 Likes

I spy with my critical eye: better terrain.

The 2019 texture looks better as it is more detailed than 2018 (is the video from 2018 the same resolution or lower?) but the terrain in 2018 with two different types of grass is much better. The 2019 has just 1 type of terrain as if brushing same tile over everywhere… looks less polished.

Texture details 2019 are better but the terrain from 2018 looks better as colors and variation and more realistic. Dirt also looks more varying in 2018, somehow I find the 2018 terrain better for my taste.

Idk if you changed image but once again I find the top image better… Yes I get that old WC3 is like bottom image and no I disagree with all who wanted the bottom style… Im playing 1v1 too and somehow I do not like the old WC3 cartoony style. I could play this just fine,

https://streamable.com/v74zi
That demo of war3 on SC2 loooks way less readable AND
I still see everything and I dont have perfect eyes, why would I want the same old looney color graphics

Also the 2018 UI I liked its new fresh look with Lumber Mill portrait, the old UI shrinked in 2019 just looks worse to me. Once again Im looking for the ‘Im playing a new war3 feel’ as the closest we can get to new warcraft rts.

Trees look better in 2019 but the bright colors…
Grass looks more realistic in 2018 (the darker one)
Colors look better overall in 2018 (yes eighteen)

Yes it looks like a step back in graphics to me, mostly the terrain and UI, models of units are as great as they can be.

Pretty sure someone who never played anything but war3 said (‘noo I want my yellowish dirt’)… but come on you’ve old graphics for this.

1 Like

you’re full of it the the campaign will look the same as that stupid demo everyone is talking about, have you even played war3 multiplayer it’s just as colorful as the current version i bet half the people here haven’t even played classic war3

Multiplayer should look like this demo. Also yes Ive played classic probably earlier than you even started. Idc that Grubby and co fanboys like the same old graphics otherwise ‘hard to read’ reee (cuz I know he was proponent to everything should look exactly like old war3 just better graphics/ he even asked for same old unit models but just slightly more HD - aka simple models no details). At least models went different than just slightly more HD simple models, thats why I like them as they are now.

3 Likes