Shamecraft 3 Remastered

firstoff, before we get started – I would like to thank the devs for breathing life back into one of the greatest if not the best rts games of all time.

Also, I’m on the boat that wow’s lore is non canon to WC3, and the main storyline should not be retconned for wow’s sake.

I for one am very excited about this game, even its current state.

Now for the roasting…

That being said… you did promise people something that you clearly are not going to deliver.

This game is now a remaster not a remake; and you CLEARLY advertised this game as a remake as seen on your website.

Almost every single feature that was going to make Reforged, “Reforged” has been cut. This is a serious blow to the genre; in which really could have exploded not only the rts scene, but WC3 in general. This game had serious long lasting potential as seen by the reaction in 2018, but you grievously made a misjudgement call on allocating your development resources.

Here is what really happened:

Post 2018 Blizzcon; blizzard’s stock market crashes after diablo Immortal announcement tanks. Blizzard’s upper management freaks, this does not look good for investors – we need to save face. Blizzard then spends the better half of almost 2 years - reallocating resources that would otherwise have been used for WC3 for a Diablo 4 demo that takes them (almost a year and a half to create).

The rest of the resources are dumped into wow/wow classic as per usual. You spent precious resources building a demo, and choking the life out of one of your greatest all time IP’s to save face with a demo; not an alpha, not a beta… but a demo, that quite frankly – will probably almost change 100% by the time the actual gameplay comes out.

Bravo you chopped off an arm to save a finger. You could have whipped up a demo in 3 months, and spent all that extra time and resources dumping into WC3; and you would have been that much farther along but instead you alienated and lied to your player base yet again!

lastly the radio silence for almost a year was the icing on the cake.

Truly misfortunate because this game had phenomenal potential; and it still does but it will be an uphill battle to gain your consumers trust back.

[Now for the burn]
BTW Diablo 4 looks fantastic; but then again so did reforged a year ago.
[See what I did there :slight_smile: ]

The moral lesson is expectations are set by those who enforce them. Don’t make promises you cant deliver, and be honest with people when you make promises.

13 Likes

Interesting take. but do take a look at this.

Da Link

i am give or less mostly disappointed for outsourcing of the models. people said they look great, and i’m just hating, but i kept saying they aint true to the original art style of warcraft 3.

i guess u can’t have outsourced models be supervised that much. very rip.

oh and some people didn’t even knew it was outsourced. and they were just jumping and making a thread about it only recently.

damn.

You make some valid points.

The only hole I can pick is this:

They were extremely careful to never use the word Remake and they never advertised this as a remake.

It was called Reforged because they are making changes to the game in minor ways, updated visuals, maps, models etc.
The main thing for me is the map editor being improved drastically, gets me really hyped for what will probably rejuvinate the custom game scene (I really hope for the glory days :wink:)

But in their defence they never said once the word remake.

Technically it’s not a remaster either because a remaster would mean they don’t change anything at all other than visuals.
Which as in the above link will explain better than I can; is not true.

Nice post btw and I respect the way you can post your opinion and reasoning behind it in an adult way and not the way others on here have been “I WANT A REFUND WAAAAAH”, “FU PURISTS!” Etc.

1 Like

this is not a remastered, for now is a pack textures_mod.rar but !
The blizzard can fix it guys, be patient :smiley:

I’m now a little afraid to see Diablo 4 on release. It’s kind of scary to think they could pull another Bait-And-Switch for business purposes. :sweat_smile: Then again, big companies be like that.

I guess we each decide whether this offense is severe enough to make us not play Reforged. For me it isn’t, but I now know how it felt like for hardcore Diablo fans when they saw the Immortal announcement in 2018.

I was in the same boat with the same sentiment, but it seems like some clarifications at the panel make it sound like we are still getting an updated campaign, just one that is scaled back from what we saw with the Culling last year.

1. This was never a remaster or remake in the purist sense. They chose Reforged because it was intended to be something different, something in between the two definitions.
  2. The campaign will still feature around 8 missions that are remade. Along with Stratholme, we know Silvermoon and Dalaran will be designed more like the familiar WoW cities.
  3. We are getting original dialogue, so the nuts and bolts of the campaign aren’t changing. What is changing is the landscape, addition of minibosses and some changed camera angles and lighting stuff. So this is more like Campaign Plus, rather than Campaign Remake.

Overall, its not as great as a full remake, but it still isn’t completely chopped off fingers. And yes, the radio silence did really suck, that is the biggest shame out of all this. Lack of communication lead us to guessing and expectations. There’s no excuse for that.

But that being said, I do think it still has potential. I simply don’t blame anyone who chooses to cancel a preorder, Blizz absolutely dropped the ball here.

2 Likes

Its a shame the cinematic thing, i want to see Grom’s death, Illidan summoning the naga, Arthas sitting in the Frozen Throne with super new graphics, like the RoC intro in Blizzcon 2018, not less blurry Warcraft 3 cinematics :frowning: They can delay the release (maybe late january early febrary) and work a bit more on it, im sure no one will get angry, its for a better game

The original artstyle of Warcraft 3 was already scattered anyways between official art and the in-game assets. Even the cinematics are kind of different from the other two.

They’re gunning for the generic and current Warcraft artstyle.

Well the pipeline probably looks like this:
Blizzard artists concept out the characters → Brian Sousa and co. (Robert Bridenbecker and Matt Morris too?) sign off on final concepts → final concepts are sent to LemonSky → LemonSky models the characters → assets are sent back to Blizzard → implemented → feedback is taken/given for adjustments → adjustments are made.

That pretty much summarizes the whole experience. I for one am just happy with a “remastered” version of wc3; as I enjoy the game as is. However they made some pretty strong promises and sold the game on that; so I completely understand people backing out at the last moment (blizzard sure did).

Sucks because this was the one blizzard announcement that a lot of us were really excited for and they let us all down pretty hard.

None the less, a “remastered” version of wc3 is better than no wc3 so ill take what I can get in this case.

Future pre-orders will be held with much greater scrutiny however.