Serious question. Is what they are doing legal?

On the reforged website.

Specifically these parts. Are you really allowed to false advertise?

• “with 4+ hours of reforged in-game cutscenes”

and

" * Updated UI*"

and

“* Instant access to classic Warcraft III (Reign of Chaos and The Frozen Throne)”*

Three blatant lies. That are still on their site. Simply put, is it really legal to do this? Could blizzard end up facing some type of lawsuits by users?

35 Likes

its not but good luck suing them

12 Likes

I’m sure there’s some logistical loop hole. But you can still #BoycottBlizzard

9 Likes

There is promises out there in writing, evidence of what was promised and evidence what was delivered… Its possible man

1 Like

This statement is just ambiguous, but it does have me wondering what these QoL changes are supposed to be.

“and countless quality-of-life improvements”

2 Likes

You can switch to classic in the options.

Can’t you see the updated UI?

The cutscenes have been changed minimally.

They’ve delivered on all of those things. They’re just not worth the price tag they’re asking.

Refund and move on.

2 Likes

If you just look at the text it is more than unlikely the you could sue them and win. It is not defined what reforged means. The cutscenes have the new models and smaller changes in it, so technically they have been altered or “reforged”.

The UI has new buttons and graphics with high resolution.

BUT: The shown trailer on their official site implies another level of quality of the cutscenes and the UI. So in this context it could really be false advertising in some countries. The whole thing with classic and forced migration is also more than problematic.

2 Likes

This is ultimately a very complication question if you want the technically correct answer, which is why lawyers get involved in these sorts of disputes.

That said we may see a lawsuit over it. It’s worth noting that simply having a lawsuit filed against you doesn’t inherently mean you did anything wrong or not legal. It just means somebody has accused you of doing something wrong.

I imagine if it comes to that, Blizzard’s lawyers will argue that the cutscenes are reforged because they’re using the new graphics even if it’s not what we were led to believe they would be like from the trailer.

I’m no expert myself, but I know that when you get into “Is this legal or not?” there is A LOT of technicalities that will be argued by both sides.

2 Likes

You’re dreaming on that one buddy. You can easily get a refund if you just ask.

What is your definition?

reforge - VERB - 1. forge or create again or differently.

They could have literally just updated two things and that’d be “reforged”.

remaster - VERB - 1. make a new master of (a recording), typically in order to improve the sound quality.

You decide.

All in all I think that not even a lawyer could give you a direct answer to that.

A big German gaming magazine asked a lawyer if this is legal and he said that there would be a high chance to win in consumers favor (German law ofc). But to be honest, he just got an overview of the problem and surely didn’t too much work on it.

If you guys havent noticed, Blizzard is removing a lot of videos from their youtube accounts related to WC3. The main channel now only has 4 videos.

3 Likes

The cinematics were reforged. Please do some googling. They said the only cinematic that would be overhauled was the intro one which it was. The rest would be “reforged” which is able to played in 4K quality, which it was. The rest of the in-game cut scenes were reforged check them out on YouTube compared to original WC3.

As for people talking about false advertisement… not one person has provided a single source of Blizzard specifically promising anything. Go look at Command and Conquer remaster. All their cinematics will be remastered as well (meaning 4K quality). The problem isn’t Blizzard. The problem is people unable to understand the English language because their desires cloud what was realistically said.

It’s like all the people who kept telling Blizzard “Wait… this isn’t supposed to be in WoW Classic… this was never in Vanilla”. People are just dumb and bandwagon on everything because they are unable to find their own information let alone develop their own thoughts.

2 Likes

Not sure that would fly. “Reforged” graphics were advertised as much more, such as things as new camera angles, and they just aren’t. The same with the new UI.

Where you’re definitely wrong is the classic stuff though. That does not say a graphical option or style. It says access to classic RoC and TFT

1 Like

No my friend, I am not wrong. I can link you to another thread with sources from 2018 - 2019 that deal with this very issue. Ever think that you just didn’t keep up with the news? It’s okay to say “Hmm, I didn’t.”

Please give a source where it was advertised as “much more”?

They carefully say that Blizzcone- this will not happen. Buyers themselves are to blame for not buying a ticket for Blizzcone - where they could find out about it. Mheh.

The Warcraft engine is very unfriendly to changing the interface - I saw an interview with programmers a couple of years ago.
What we were shown on the Blizzcone of 2018 was done on the Starcraft game engine.

They decided to freeze and expectedly failed

1 Like

It is access to Reign of Chaos and TFT. In fact, I am playing on the “classic” version right now. Although, I already refunded my Reforged copy and play using my original cdkeys.

Access to RoC/TFT?
Click on Campaign and away you go. That’s them.

Battle net is a featured service, it has now “evolved” to support the modern system. In its current form I would class it as “placeholder”, my feedback thread clearly states that this game has a serious UI issue.

But to sue them over $30, you’re dreaming.

It’s not false advertising, and it’s not like you didn’t see what it looked like before buying it, we do have Twitch/YouTube after all.

A voluntary refund has nothing to do with suing them in regards to consumer laws. That wasn’t the question.

That’s exactly what I’m saying, there is no definition by law what reforged means in regard of software or games. So you have to look into context and implication. With the official trailer you have those.

Are you paid or really just clueless?

with 4+ hours of reforged in-game cutscenes
you already have those, the original with few camera angles and animations xD

Yes, I am paid in the sense that I was refunded.

Anything else?

No, you can go now. You don’t even understand about what the matter is.