Return back the classic game

This has always happened as saves are not compatible between versions.

Technically what people are asking for are “legacy” versions since they are unsupported and old but people want to use them.

Nah it has been from all the patch notes back then only three times where saves got brocken and mayby campaign progress got brocken too. But three times out of 27. That is 10%. Here it is if we are optimistic only every second patch.

The issue with saves is caused by changes in how data is stored internally. Instead of trying to load and then running the risk of crashing/erroring, they use hard version numbers. Given how much work they still have to do, this is to be expected.

StarCraft II was pretty much the same. Very few games support loading saves from older versions, and those that do require the developers spend a lot of effort adding migration logic just to handle the case. Such games usually have saves that run up days of playtime each, rather than campaign missions which can be done in a few hours max.

Yeah but not loading a save from a started campaign mission if it is not the bonus campaign is not a big thing. You just play this mission again or end before the patch and play then the next. The Rexxar campaign is big enough that playtime for first and second mission can be days. But the main problem is, that it is just such a big deal to again and again and again start from defendance of Strahnbrad even if you are already short before the last battle on Hyjal. Then you should get a bonus character picture if you complete the whole campaign on hard which is despite now getting in RoC the TFT balance not easy. But with all the wipes now the progress for this pictures get wiped too. But yeah last thing is not part of Classic game but more ranting on “Reforged is not the new campaign experience that whas promised.”

As I mentioned in another thread many months ago. What they need to do is store more mission state in game caches for the Rexar campaign. They could then add an option to continue playing that rebuilds the mission state from game cache rather than relying entirely on save/load.

The campaign was made back in a time where maybe 1-2 updates in a year would happen, with quickly the interval increasing. This is not suitable for regular updates like we get now.

Legacy is another word for it but people also call it “classic client”, “classic version”, “classic game” or “classic Warcraft 3”, or just “classic” for short. There’s no rule or definition stating that a product still has to be supported or so designated by its creator in order for it to be called classic, or that it can’t also be legacy at the same time.

I know that owners of the legacy version were given the Reforged client and the classic graphics/campaign mode within it, which might be called “classic” for short which can make it a little confusing. But think of it like this: The Reforged graphics and “new campaign” are effectively just paid DLC for legacy owners; they already have all the other aspects of Reforged in the client. Anyway like I said you can usually tell whether people are referring to a legacy version or the mode in the Reforged client.

Are you sure it was every version or just “major game revisions”? Because previous patch notes used that term in notices about replays and custom saves for several patches, but not every patch got such a notice. For example: “Replays are incompatible between major game revisions. (1.16 replays cannot be viewed with the 1.17 version of Warcraft III)” When it said this, it was often, but not always, followed by a similar notice for custom save games. In this example: “Custom save games will not load from version 1.16” But they didn’t put such a notice for version 1.18. Why would campaign saves be any different? It could just be that now, every or almost every update is effectively a major game revision, along with happening more frequently.

Anyway you could just disable automatic updating until after you finish a mission.

1 Like

Look, 30 gigs would be silly to complain about if you were downloading the lastest Rockstar or Rocksteady game. But look at it from the classic player’s perspective, maybe they ‘opted’ out by never purchasing the game, saying there’s nothing in it for me, I’ll just keep my classic version. Well those people had a forced migration to the new client where they lost features like clans, tournaments, profiles, ladder, etc AND they have to download all these new art assets they didn’t want in the first place.

3 Likes

I would suggest Blizzard to bring back PTR versions of 1.31.1 and 1.29.2 so we can test things around. i hardly think it would be an issue to maintain. and it would astronomically help with bug hunting, we can directly know what works and where it works and how its all reflected to the retail version.

While they focus on returning Classic Mode to being a real Classic Mode. old 3D animated backgrounds back, the menu coloring and theme switched up alongside the logo to look more like Classic. (There is no real need to change button positions from retail Reforged, just the art and logo when we switch to CM).

Potentially overhaul the entire main campaign series main menu to include all the original animated backgrounds when we switch over.

1 Like

Custom maps made in newer versions will not work out the box in older versions.

The backgrounds are locked to 4:3 aspect ratio. People hate that and wanted them removed. Yes people were complaining a ton here in the forum about the “black bars” (pillar boxes) that were needed for those old animated backgrounds to function properly. I am sure if they added them back people would be right back here complaining again that there are black bars…

Very good point, but i’m confident enough to say the majority of mapmakers are still on older versions. even if not. one could easily re create and test things on PTR versions of older patches. then the same on their new maps. overally it’ll be a great help i think.

I’m actually not advocating to bring back the older menu exactly how it was.
However i am saying the people preferring to play Classic certainly deserve a better treatment. and there is no excuse that i’ll make for Blizzard in regards to that.

The menus when we switch back to Classic mode should have the old 3D animated backgrounds back, this is not related to the custom campaigns since i know they’ll do something about that.

They can even take a 10-20 seconds video from the older menus and fit it in the Classic Mode. and i am indeed suggesting they should actually do new art specifically themed for the Classic Mode for the menus, if you read my quote suggesting the position of the Reforged buttons don’t need to change, my point was rather self evident.
i hardly think it would be much of effort or cost, and its easily within the bounderies of Blizzard to provide for the Classic Team.

On top of that the Warcraft 3 Reforged logo on the top side of the main menu should change to a newly created logo named Warcraft 3 Classic. or just the empty Warcraft III orange logo. their choice.

The menu buttons and surrounding menu art all should have their visuals in terms of color and art slightly changed to look more closer to the vanilla version.

So more raw blue and yellow texts for the buttons for example, while in Reforged there is this… rather modern hue to it with orangier text.

The main Campaign screens are also very important, they should totally allow us to see the older campaign menu screens for Classic Mode as it was.

Some are. But a ton of them are using new versions for access to those sweet new features that were added to trivialize some near impossible to do things.

These would need to be 4:3 as I said. The artwork does not support anything but 4:3. People do not want this as this forum was filled with complaints about it last year.

If it is new, then classic users can just use the Reforged menu since that is new as well. I do miss the old backgrounds but sadly times change and in game it does not make a difference anyway.

Forgive me, but nobody except Blizzard knows any such thing. At this point it’s better to assume they won’t and be pleasantly surprised if they do, than to assume they will and be bitterly disappointed after four years when we finally realize they won’t.

Modern Blizzard does not deserve the faith you’re placing in them.

3 Likes

They’ll do it don’t worry :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
You shouldn’t try to be negative on this aspect, Custom Campaigns are one of the core features of the game, its self evident that it will come back.

You should worry about Asia being 4 times the size of EU and only having servers from south korea. and Australia also having very bad servers. and since Chinese play on netease Blizzard can just… not care about any of those continents.
The backlash for custom campaigns is as vivid as the release main campaign giving instant defeat after it was patch. its not a matter of if, but when. should be done in a year or less. which mind you i do not agree with taking this long. AT ALL, time after the release of a bad product is something this game does not have. but i know they’ll eventually do it.

By older versions i meant 1.26 to 1.31.1, Pre Reforged sort to say i mean come on i literally mentioned 1.29.2 and 1.31.1 PTR classic servers are you specifically writing this way to piss me off ? or push your narrative of any suggestion regarding bringing back some of the older versions even just in PTR format is somehow 100% bad ?, and no “some” aren’t (implying its some outcasted low number). and no “tons of them” are not using the new versions assuming you mean retail Reforged by that. its actually quite balanced out, i would say slightly tilted towards the non retail versions.

I don’t understand why do you pick specific parts of my point without recognizing why i exactly suggested for them to do such a thing. what i suggested is literally one of the easiest things they can do that would greatly help the community. they can do it for a limited time, like 2 years then take the PTR servers down again after Reforged is in a far better stage.

I’m still talking of them doing this in the context of new menu art supporting the surrounding backgrounds fitting on the screen. none of what i talk about is actually related to bringing back the old menus as they were, more like bringing them back while adapting to how the menu format has changed, how the button positions has changed and so on, i thought i stated this at the start of my reply to you, but when picking this post out of context to reply to me, you seem to have suddenly forgotten what i actually said at the beginning of my post.
Or do you really want me to repeat myself in every single paragraph that this is still related within the context of my starting statement. which is why i think you’re actually just trying to fool with me. there is no way in hell you didn’t understand my point, and still proceeded to single that statement out of context.

The new art i’m talking about is one specifically touched up to feel more like the vanilla menu, you saying “Well just use the RF menus” doesn’t really answer the fact that Blizzard is forcing people to digest a main menu that doesn’t even look better then the original one.

If you seriously think the new Reign of Chaos menu looks better then the old one… i don’t think me and you can reach any common ground for agreement.

And what does mentioning it not making a difference ingame has literally anything to do with replying to someone who started his part of the conversation exclusively talking about the main menus and so on.

Is the main menu art suppose to make a difference ingame that you are mentioning it in your writing ? also funny thing, ingame menu in Classic mode is still using 1.31.1 menu art, now imagine if it was using Reforged art. i would assume you would defend that too saying it doesn’t matter anyway, and times change and so on. if you didn’t realize, it kind of sounds like you trying to make poor excuses even though you might be oblivious or doing it unintentionally.

Being 100% objective and towards the side of functionality while its generally the best method of thinking, however
Its also why you are rejecting a suggestion like mine that we don’t even need Classic Mode to actually look anything like Classic Mode except only in game.

With that mindset i can easily say the new art and models objectively harmed the entire custom community, the game (since they chose to not change engines) and heavily costed existing maps when it comes to wanting to transition over, because all of the models are waaay to excessive then they need to be. yet for some reason people are fine with that. well if you’re fine with that. then you should know a lot of people like me want THE ENTIRE Classic Mode to actually look like something that resembles a real Classic Mode.

In this context:

1 - A lot of people suggest just bringing back the older clients permanently.
2 - They want the old menus back as they were.

What i do instead is try to bridge a gap in the middle by suggesting all the things that i do, the 2 main points i suggested were both in requirement of some very low budget and affordable work that ultimately mold the Classic Mode of the game to look, feel, and act like a real Classic Mode in every sense possible.

You DrSuperGood are on the complete opposite side of the people who have the mindset of this thread and the opinions of the 2 points i mentioned.

But when i come in and suggest something that bridges a gap while still ultimately trying to unite everyone under the banner of Reforged. you still reject and make up poor excuses and straw man arguments to suggest its not really needed to do any of this.

I guess what Blizzard, and by extension someone with your mindset would want is for all the people who dare like the older versions just die and remake a new audience because times change. (die in a metaphorical sense)

Bet you would never be able to admit if right this instance Blizzard released and supported a classic version on 1.31.1 no one would even play Reforged.
Bet you would never admit there is more then just “Some” people who want the menus to look like something that atleast resembles the vanilla game to an extend.
Or even if we could use a Reforged Light version without the HD assets.

All part of your grander plan to reject anything that’s even remotely old fashion. like brining PTR versions of older patches for 2 years or so to effectively catapult the bughunting speed of mapmakers.

2 Likes

Again, I disagree. Their silence on this, and the sheer lack of progress they’re making on literally anything, just tells me that they have no intention of bringing it back.

If it was a “core feature” it should have been part of the game at release. It was not, and it still isn’t after over half a year. That alone speaks volumes to me.

I’m not “trying to be negative,” I’m being a realist. Blizzard has no intention of bringing it back. We shouldn’t expect them to.

What we should do instead, is move the frak on because it just further cements the fact that Reforged is an incomplete POS.

2 Likes

Yeah you mean remake artwork like the old backgrounds in an aspect ratio that would fit in the Reforged menus. They could probably still use the old backgrounds as a base for that in some way. Also good points, but holy cow that was some rant lol.

The lack of previously existing features at release and long after is inexcusable, but they have made some progress it’s just slow. They “brought back” single player custom games, we know they’re working on ladder and profiles, and they’ve made other little fixes hear and there. They’ll probably work on Clans and Custom Campaigns afterwards. But it could be awhile, or too long, before all these things are back. Even then, there could still be performance issues and classic mode still being too different than the actual classic game.

Man i am just tired of people who keep smacking me on the head saying i don’t deserve the Classic Mode to look and feel like an actual Classic Mode. in all regards.

And also fail to realize how big a help would be to have 1.29.2 and 1.31.1 PTR versions for 2 years so far more of the casual mapmaking community can participate in fast speed bughunting and comparison between the versions.

Not to mention how big of a rallying cry this would be to ALL warcraft 3 players, the way it is now, its just saying some part of the playerbase should just go and dig a grave and drink vodka and pretend nothing happened and wait for 3 years until the game is even remotely back to former glory. the ride from 1.28.5 to 1.31.1 was pretty bumpy but it was an absolute rallying cry and a magical moment to be alive for the game. and it wasn’t anything 4000IQ. it was just… the game as it was, updated to be better. no major overhauls and no release of the Reforged patch.

I mean DSG is not some no one, he’s actually one of the oldest and wisest community members. but he has his biases and one of that includes just turning a blind eye to seeing any positivity in things like… making Classic Mode look more like Classic Mode. even in the menus.

I want the entire warcraft 3 playerbase to rally under Reforged. and my suggestions that are written to bridge the gap between the 2 extreme ends hope to achieve something better. people actually migrated back to 3rd party servers like GameRanger and Euro Battle.net. the playerbase is scattered and broken.

Reforged failed to capture initial wave of audience in hope to crystalize them to dedicated fans for the long run. which means we need to look to our own like homeless people who just arrived on the broken shores.

The former sense of unification the playerbase had was thin but holding. now its broken apart. doing something as simple as making the Classic Mode menus look actually like Classic Mode is appealing and attractive to fans across the board.

The fact that we’ll never get to see the original animated backgrounds which looked way cooler, and only possibly available for custom campaigns is just disheartening.

So i guess i got mad at him xd

In response to custom campaigns and FlithyCasual. i can write half a book about the issues you are now bringing forward. but i am you, except i passed that point.

I just think more realistically, and there is 1000000000 times the bigger cry to bring back Custom Campaigns then establish better server connections for the continent of Asia and Australia which is just as important of an issue.

So if you really want to know why i said what i said, its basically because there are a lot of you talking about the lack of custom campaigns, atleast, its in the face of Blizzard.

But what’s not on the face of Blizzard is Asia and Australia having HORRIBLE connection to the online servers. just absolutely unacceptable from a AAA company.

Just trying to even the odds for something i care about.