Reign of Chaos - Can we ever play it as it was again?

Been a while,

I have no hope of this being a yes but thought I’d ask anyway.

Will we ever see Reign of Chaos treated as the seperate version of Warcraft 3 ever again?
With It’s own campaign, balance and multiplayer icons?

I grew up playing Reign of Chaos, and I am one of a small minority of players who never went up to The Frozen Throne, but continued to play ladder on RoC.
I miss the soundtrack, I miss the ladder rankings top 1000 in each region, I miss the sound of the rain on the menu when it first loads up, and the sound of the chains upon login in multiplayer.
I miss the 25, 250, 500 and 1500 win icons.

TLDR: Title.

8 Likes

Reign of chaos was removed due to the incompetence of Blizzard.

When they started patching WC3 to prepare for Reforged, they made a mistake where TFT and ROC players started matching each other in ladder and due to their incompetence they were unable to fix this issue.

They then removed the game and said it was too ‘‘expensive’’ to keep the servers up, which is laughable.

RoC ladder games were 11% of all ladder games played in Wc3…

Bring back Reign of Chaos ladder Blizzard.

Fix the UI in chat channels.

2 Likes
1 Like

I have Reign of Chaos on disc but I’m talking about Blizzard doing something to bring it back.
I shouldn’t have to install and turn my internet off to play it in singleplayer, but I am specifically talking about missing logging into battle net playing multiplayer against the other RoC players.
RoC was alive the entire time TFT was, but when Reforged came along they took RoC away.

1 Like

I dunno why anyone wants this. the ROC campaigns are still there, and I don’t know anyone who wants to play melee versus without the expansion units.

Instead of turning your internet off, use a virtual machine or an old PC without an internet connection. Get one on ebay on the cheap if you don’t have an older box you can use. We’ve pulled enough teeth just to get core features restored to the game, I really don’t see them giving such a suggestion the time of day given that we’re lucky if any bugs get fixed in these patches.

The community isnt large enough to divide the playerbase even further with non-expansion queues, which is the likely reason it was removed in the first place.

1 Like

I’m not asking them to DIVIDE the community. I’m asking them to RESTORE it.
Wc3 existed for decades with both functioning alongside eachother. It’s only when Reforged arrived it killed RoC. RoC had it’s own healthy pool of players. It’s own ladder system, with it’s own tournaments.

And I can do that, but as I stated above, I am sure there is no hope. But I would like to see the old version back, with it’s intact multiplayer.
I shouldn’t frankly have to go to this much effort considering It was them that took the functionality out of RoC.

Need I remind you that the community didn’t get shrunk by anything other than Blizzard messing up Reforged? RoC has no blame.
Swapping between both was the click of a button on the main menu.

Just chalk Reign of Chaos as another of the many features they took away from the players and charged you to do so.
Fml imagine wanting LESS for your money? :roll_eyes:

1 Like

Pretty sure w3c has a ROC ladder

Pretty sure w3c has ROC lader!

Also dividing a small community into more pools is hard for match making.

Yea Wc3 champions 1v1 RoC ladder is the best we got at the moment and might be the only option.

2 Likes

Except you are, you just don’t realize it. Adding more queues for RoC only melee means whoever actually wants to do that is removed from the playerpool and makes waiting times longer and match quality worse (not that the matchmaking system is helping this any).

And that’s assuming that there’s a meaningful number of players that want this. Which there isn’t. which makes it not worth the cost of development to restore that feature.

It’s a simple reality that when a game gets an expansion, most players get the expansion and play the expansion. There is little benefit in them actually bringing this back, not that they would because we’re lucky we got ladder, clans, or custom campaigns back at all, it took over a year and a half before they even started bringing these things back.

RoC had it’s own healthy pool of players.

No it didn’t. I know exactly one person at the moment who wants this. You. Of all the people i’ve played with in all my years since TFT came out, I don’t know anyone who wants to play RoC only.

Now, if I’m right, there’s no reason to do this because no one wants to do it. But even if I’m wrong, there’s no reason to do this because it would be harmful to the online community.

The original campaigns are still there and can still be played (they’re important to the story after all). But for online, adding it would be a bad idea.

The RoC community wasn’t big enough BEFORE reforged, much less after.

Yes, W3C has an ROC queue. I’ve never seen anyone waiting in it though. so it doesn’t seem like it’s very active.

But yes, you’re right that making more pools of players for different queues doesn’t help anything.

I’m not getting less for my money. The campaign is still there (though I have little desire to replay it at the moment). I played my last game of multiplayer RoC the day TFT came out. To me, TFT was like a patch, not an optional feature. The only thing I want from the RoC era I already knew I’d never get back the day it was removed all those years ago- Team FFA mode (2v2v2v2).

Because some people prefer RoC over tft?

Should be quite obvious? lol

3 Likes

Not gonna bother with a proper response addressing your points instead here are thousands of active RoC players who were actively playing before Blizzard shut down RoC who had their community destroyed overnight:

http://classic.battle.net/war3/ladder/war3-ladder-solo.aspx?Gateway=Northrend
http://classic.battle.net/war3/ladder/war3-ladder-team.aspx?Gateway=Northrend
http://classic.battle.net/war3/ladder/war3-ladder-2vs2.aspx?Gateway=Northrend
http://classic.battle.net/war3/ladder/war3-ladder-3vs3.aspx?Gateway=Northrend

This is just the gateway Northrend which is Europe, not to mention the other 3 gateways and 5 game modes.
Worth noting the exp has been decaying since nobody can play games anymore.

Just because you don’t want it, and Reforged has been a disaster, you can’t blame RoC fans for that.

You dont even understand fully what we lost, so I cba to explain it to you quite frankly.

EDITED to provide new link - website stopped responding as of today.
(You will have to navigate to other game modes and gateways manually):
https://web.archive.org/web/20180823134729/http://classic.battle.net/war3/ladder/war3-ladder-solo.aspx?Gateway=Northrend

3 Likes

RoC had a tight but smaller community. Clan xRoC was pretty big clan s4s was also big both in RoC and TFT. It’s the same with classic over on Diablo 2, the community was smaller but it had a dedicated player base and they got the support they need to still play in their remaster.

1 Like

All I have to say to that is that was then and this is now, and there’s probably about as many players now total as there was between the two back in the day, so, yeah. Your statement also really doesn’t refute my point (in fact, it renforces) that this divides the community, whom right now are all playing the same thing (excluding W3C players, and again, I’ve said my peice on that before about it dividing the community).

Ultimately, it was a design decision for the Reforged release to keep queue times as low as possible by not having too many queues (and war3 has a lot already even without RoC, which would double the number). If it’s as popular as you imply, than that would most definitely split some players between the queues and everyone would be waiting longer for lower quality matches than we already have. You are of course free to disagree with that decision, but I support it in the interest of less waiting and more playing.

You have no idea what you are talking about, get out of my thread and stop derailing.

I am not here to discuss the state of Reforged. I am asking about restoring Reign of Chaos.
You don’t seem to care about that, and are happy with Reforged so why are you in this thread? You weren’t playing RoC you don’t care about RoC so get out of the thread created for people who miss that seperate expansion.

This is no different from people who asked for Classic WoW.
“Why not just play modern WoW?” Maybe because It’s NOT THE SAME? Do I really need to explain that after watching Wrath of the Lich King Classic BLOW WoW subs out of the water?

You are just “you think you do but you don’t” quoting here.

I don’t want this thread to be tit for tatting with someone with no skin in the game. I get it you don’t agree well respectfully; jog on and let me speak with people who do.
Thanks.

2 Likes

Me giving my opinion is not trolling, and I will not “get out” of “your” thread, as you posted this publicly on Blizzard’s forum, which means everyone has the right to respond to it.

I know exactly what I’m talking about, which is why I gave my feelings on the matter. If you don’t like how I feel about it, too bad. You don’t have to agree with it, but it doesn’t make you right.

As for not having “skin in the game,” well, I played the betas before ROC came out, preordered and bought the game and later its expansion, and have played on and off ever since. I certainly do have “skin in the game.”

I don’t want this thread to be tit for tatting with someone with no skin in the game. I get it you don’t agree well respectfully; jog on and let me speak with people who do.

Threads and conversations end when they reach their natural conclusion. It’s not up to you to decide when they are over or when other people leave it. If you hate what I have to say that much, feel free to put me on your ignore list, but I most certainly will speak my mind whenever and wherever I choose to, as I have that right. My opinions are my own and are spoken truly and honestly. That is not trolling.

Reforged is a patch to the game. It replaces the original game and its expansion. Neither you nor I asked for it to be that way, but that’s how it is and they are never going to “restore” it, whether the original release or making the RoC ruleset available for play in Versus mode. As I said before, we barely managed to get them to restore the old features the game was missing. The chances of them turning old battle.net back online for the old versions of RoC/TFT is round about zero. And I don’t say this because I’m happy with everything they’ve done, as I’m not. I’m saying it because it’s the reality of the situation.

(and implementation wise, as different as it looks, it really was a patch. It’s the same game engine with optional new art assets. The only other difference is the UI, the features they removed and the bugs they introduced.)

There’s been dozens upon dozens of threads asking for them to make the original version available again, it’s a dead horse that’s beaten to death and they’ve made it clear with their silence on the matter that they have no intention of reverting Reforged or turning the old battle.net servers back on.

Let me be clear, you, I and pretty much everyone else here want them to bring back everything, fix everything and make everything right again. I really do, as do most people here. But that’s a pipe dream, it will never happen. All I can hope for is that they commit what little resources they have committed to the game on the things that matter most. And I’m sorry to say, but RoC rules for Versus aren’t high on that list (again, the original campaign is still there and playable.)

Well I will take your advice and put you on the ignore list thanks.
Considering you have no respect for the topic at hand.

You don’t care for RoC and you prefer TFT. That was all you needed to say.

Why did I visit the forum and expect anything less?

:clap: Thank you.

You get it also. Thank you.

I simply miss my childhood game. Nothing can replace the void. It’s gone and I wish I could play it again at the click of a button from Blizzard like in the past.

I want to try and fail miserably at beating my previous best of Rank 112 in Europe in 1v1 using RoC balance and units.
Do the campaign using them too.
The gold amounts, the stats, the items, the heroes are all completely different in the original.

I’m not here to defend why I think this way and what it means for the Reforged project. I simply want to be heard. That’s all.

1 Like

I have total respect for the topic at hand, which is why i’ve discussed it at length. I’m sorry you don’t see that and that we don’t agree on certain things, but where you’re getting this idea that I “don’t respect the topic” is beyond me. People aren’t required to agree with your opinion to post in a thread you created. That doesn’t mean they don’t respect you, your opinion, or the thread.

No, that wasn’t all i needed to say, otherwise, I would have ended the post there. Clearly, I have many thoughts related to this topic, and I chose to post them. Just because you don’t like them doesn’t make them invalid, not related, whatever-have-you.