Regarding the Gender Swap

Game Informer has an article up! I can’t include hyperlinks, for some reason, but Google “How Blizzard Has Reforged Warcraft III”, and you’ll find it.

This article details a number of things about the new game, but something that jumped out to me is that you are implementing a number of female versions of previously male heroes.

If your intent is to make this an optional thing for non-Story games, then by all means, go ahead. It could be an option selected by the player before the game (i.e. in a select screen, you could choose to have a female Demon Hunter or a male Warden), or it could be completely random (your Paladin, when chosen as your hero, could has a 50/50 chance to be male or female).

However, making ALL non-Illidan demon hunter female would be a mistake. It is neither lore-correct, nor does it add anything to the game. It also reeks of agenda-pushing.

I’m very excited to see what you guys come up with for WC3:R. This game got me playing Blizzard games, and I hope you guys stay as true as possible to the original implementation of the game.

39 Likes

What difference does it make if people want female heroes? What about is agenda pushing as opposed to every other game that allows you to choose gender?

6 Likes

They are not all going to be female. They said there there is female and male version of all heroes and my guess is it’s 50/50 change. I don’t see why this didn’t include also the Demon Hunter.

10 Likes

Again, if it’s optional, it’s fine. if it’s random, it’s fine.

If it’s a permanent switch, it differs from the original game. It’s screwing with the source for no benefit.

Actually, they said “Along with all the art updates, Warcraft III: Reforged now features female versions of male heroes and female versions of zombies.”

16 Likes

Yeah, they didn’t say they’re going to remove the male versions… That wouldn’t make any sense.

5 Likes

True. Then again, Diablo: Immortal didn’t make sense, either.

13 Likes

TBH I like the option, however my one concern are the NE. Their society is strongly divided so it wouldn’t make sense to have a male priest of the moon or a female grovekeeper.

It would be interesting to have it random but weighted, so it’s more likely you’ll see a male Blademaster than a female one [just for an example], while it still being a possibility. I’m not sure if a Mountain Queen would be canon as the only case we see of one in the lore is Muradin and that’s on pretty unusual circumstances

11 Likes

I’m fine with female versions of some of the normally male heroes and vice versa, but some just don’t make sense. Keepers of the Grove are exclusively male, while Priestesses of the Moon are exclusively female. I never liked how WoW butchered the lore in regards to Night Elf priesthood, and I don’t want to see that bleed into Warcraft III. But if there are both male and female demon hunters, blood mages, etc, I am fine with that.

12 Likes

I like the idea to keep NE with their division, it was really iconic in the campaign. Everything else is profit, I’ve heard we are getting 14 variations of Paladins(!!!).

1 Like

People shouldn’t necessarily get something just cause they want it.

3 Likes

Please, no changes to the basic units. No female footmen nor female ghouls.

And hero genders only with skins. No random generation.

I’m quite positive 95% of RTS players are male and wouldn’t want their fiction overtly politically corrected.

The game has a lot of gender diversity to begin with.

11 Likes

I am happy about the female versions! Thats great More models to work in the edior with. But why are (as implied) not getting male version of female heroes?

6 Likes

only thing i can say about this topic is that its weird. and just a try to be gender neutral because it’s 2018 like c’mon guys isn’t that obvious ?

3 Likes

What’s so bad about it? It’s only logical that there’s both genders. Also it adds a lot of material for custom maps. While I do agree that some units just don’t work for both gender, like the obvious Mountain King or Priestess of the Moon, but what’s wrong with female blood mages and female demon hunters?

6 Likes

as much as you say oh it’s fine

as much of the same amount i can say well… it’s here… but it wasn’t necessary.

and hey when did i say it’s soo bad ? x((

i said it’s obvious 2018

Most people want the characters to stay the same (and retain the same audio). Why do you think the Mountain King can’t be female, but the Daemon Hunter can?

2 Likes

told you it feels fully unnecessary.

2 Likes

we should be able to choose our specific hero skin before game. if i want all of my wardens be female and all of my demon hunter male i should be able to choose it.

No. random sucks. we should choose what we want. random as an option is ok but forced random is bad.

8 Likes

Well a king can hardly be a woman… And I’ve never heard of “Mountain Queens”. A mountain king is kind of title in the dwarven community, like thane. And the dwarven society seemed to be very sexist on this matter, considering how rare the case of Moira being the leader of a clan was.

2 Likes

Now that would be some serious lore breaking.

7 Likes