Regarding the Gender Swap

It would be, like it would be with human lore breaking. But I dont mind! more models means more custom fun.
It would be realy cool if Blizz would add mal/femal units for every playable unit.

4 Likes

This discussion, why don’t we just don’t have it? At least till the models are out. Please?

1 Like

Oh God, and an option to disable it for everyone else for I never wish to lay eye upon a female Mountain King or a male Sorceress or god forbid a female Pit Lord as someone else suggested on this forum.

At least from my point of view, I’d like to be immersed in the Warcraft universe and something that resembles the original Warcraft 3 which did not include going against its own established lore with custom classes. I mean, supposedly people will still be able to make custom maps/units, so who’s to stop anyone from doing it in their own thing?

8 Likes

I agree with many who have expressed concern over how this could affect the Night Elves. We should keep in mind that the gender divide between classes among the Night Elves was dissolved in WoW for gameplay reasons alone, and lore was created as a means of justifying those decisions.

I would rather that instead of undoing the gender divide among the Night Elves that they add context to it after the release of Reforged. What I mean by context is that they explore that divide in more detail so that it gives a sense of how they work together and contribute to the benefit of their society as a whole.

This focus should not be exclusive to the Night Elves however, but should also be done among all of the races so as to show their cultures in action. One example: Where the Night Elves are divided by gender, the Orcs are divided by clans. When the same focus is directed at the Orcs, we should see how the various clans work together and where they remain distinct.

A note about Demon Hunters. They are supposed to be an anomaly among the Night Elves. They are Night Elves who, by accident of their pact with the dark powers to use their powers in the defense of their kin, rejected their expected roles within their society and therefore live as outcasts. It is then of little consequence whether they are male or female.

I like to cherry-pick when it comes to lore. Sorry.

9 Likes

This will be an optional thing for heroes, they said these will just be skins that will operate like unit skins do in Sc2, giving you more customization options as a player while not changing the gameplay.

If you want your demon hunter to be a female, go for it.

If you want to play Antonidas or Jaina as a human archmage, you’re free to choose.

Now how these skins will be unlocked is what I’m curious about. Better not be microtransactions. . . … .

2 Likes

I think it is totally fine. The only thing that might get weird when you get a random gender is that the voice acting would be different, especially when the hero emerges from the altar. It should be the same phrase, but just from a female/male, so you do not get confused and wonder what weird unit just pop out of what building.

OH GOD PLEASE NO. MASSIVE BADONKADOOKERS CLEAVING MY UNITS!

2 Likes

Why not? Microtransactions would be a perfect direction! More money means more updates.

As to the issue, I would vehemently oppose the forced 50% chance to get a female Grunt. Please, don’t force RNG. Especially for the folks like me for whom aesthetics are so important, I cannot watch an Orc mirror match because it’s too disgusting visually!

1 Like

I like this, but not for everything. NO GENDERSWAP UNITS! JUST Heroes. Why not units? Because i like consistency and i don’t want Nelves to be ruined.

Heroes that i would love to see have multiple genders:

Paladin.
Blood Mage.
Archmage.
Death Knight
Lich
Demon Hunter
Farseer
Shadowhunter
Tinker
Pandaren Brewmaster
Alchemist
Blademaster(I do feel it would ruin the character somewhat… But not the end of the world.)
Dreadlord…(I do feel it would ruin the character somewhat but, Honestly… I just want a sexy demoness… >.>)

Heroes that should NOT get a gender swap:

Mountain King(Mountain Queen sounds retarded and requires you to change the name.)
Cryptlord(Needs a deep voice)
PoTM(They are always female)
Warden(They are always female)
Keeper(No… Just… No… Distinction between it and a Dryad)
Tauren Chief(Female Tauren are disturbing…)
Naga Sea Witch(Lol… Go figure.)
Dark Ranger((They are always female)
Beastmaster (It’s Rexxar… It has to be male.)
Pit Lord(Needs a deep voice)
Fire lord(Needs a deep voice)

1 Like

Where have you ever even seen a female Death Knight? I can’t imagine women wielding runeblades, sorry…

And here, I would actually prefer a male Naga, considering we already got the Naga Royal Guard, thus clearly showing males can attain a remarkably high position in their society, it’s just that they can’t be added to the WC3 multiplayer.

And again, I would definitely hate the forced 50%. Why are people even suggesting it? Training your chosen hero, only for him to come out different than you expected would be an awful feeling! I’ve never been a fan of random hero FFA or anything like that.

Please, NO RNG. Give the player the agency.

The RNG should be an optional toggle in the options menu for melee games.

As far as the genderswap for some heros being ridiculous… am for it for 2 reasons:

• More assets means more stuff for map-maker to use. Keep in mind that not all custom games are canonically in the Warcraft universe. Some mappers like to create their own lore and their own universes.
  • I think it would be hilarious to run around with a hulking brute of a Naga Sea Witch, a Priest of the Moon and a Pit Lord with presumably an metal bra to keep the Pit Ladies from swinging all over the place. Also when I think of a Firelady, I’m reminded of a Flame Atronach from Skyrim. They look cool. A lot of those would be really cool to have, however much they break the lore.

All in all, those skins are NOT canon. They exist merely for fun, and I think that’s just fine. It would be a lot like how in Starcraft II, the zerg have a skin set called the Simulant; they look like machines simulating being zerg. It’s fantastic.

2 Likes

Caramel Muradin when? Helloween banshees when? You’re literally the first one saying that lore-unfriendly skins would be ok.

Having a toggle for the forced RNG would definitely be fine. I could imagine 3 options even.

1. No changes.
  2. 50% RNG on every unit.
  3. Change the gender of any unit on a case-by-base basis.

This way, it would be fine. BUT! Isn’t making a female model for every unit an incredible amount of work? The entire Night Elf faction has not been done yet. There might be a danger of cutting corners and rushed, illogical decisions.

The genderswap skins will only be for heroes, though? Like, I’m fine if they don’t do the weirder swaps it, but I’m also fine if they do it.

And let’s not throw the slippery slope argument willy-nilly, shall we? They mentionned female/male versions of existing heroes. They never said they would go the HotS route.

Grubby himself mentioned female Grunts. My biggest concern would be if the player had no control over whether he wanted to choose such a skin.

It was you who mentioned that having lore-breaking skins would be cool.

1 Like

I don’t remember the devs saying they would be making non-hero genderswap skins. IMO it sounded as though Grubby was just giving a quick example. I could be wrong.

I said have genderswapped skins would be cool. Under the umbrella of ‘lore-breaking’, you can draw distinctions, y’know?

Gender-swapping units is a cool idea as long as the female models are not edgy over sexualized anime style cute models wielding huge weapons with no difficulty all the while giggling.

Would love to see Female: DH, Blood Mage, Archmage, heck, even a panda brewmaster or Paladin.
Would love to see Male: Dark Ranger, Warden.

Some characters however, should not have this option, like, it would be really bad seeing a female Pit lord or male priest of the moon.

1 Like

As far as I’ve heard it’s only the heroes right? And I think it’s fine to have both genders as heroes because it’s only natural that it would be the case since they’ve said that they’re making skins. I would actually think it would be weird if they were making skins, but didn’t making a female/male version of the current heroes. I’m a fan of the genderswap because it gives more choice to the player. And if people don’t like the change, then they should make it an option to see.

Someone commented that they would make 14 different paladins? I’ve heard about this too, that they would make a variation of the hero based on the name. I think that’s a terrible idea since the heroes are somewhat iconic. When we hear paladin, we think about Uther. If we hear archmage, we see Antonidas riding his horse. Sure it’s a cool thing to say and slap on interviews, but it bothers me. I’m afraid we might get “too much”. So instead of having one iconic heroe, we just have many different. in the end, none of them would really be remembered.

Dark Rangers used to be high elven rangers, so I don’t why there couldn’t male ones too…

They are going to make male and female versions for all heroes. That’s what they said. They are not removing any existing gender/hero combination.

Can’t wait for that female Pit Lord

1 Like