Please tell me you will be able to rebind keys?

Its hard to play this game if the camera controls are not binded on WASD for me. Among other keys.

3 Likes

Most people who play RTS and/or MobA use the QWER hotkeys for hero spells

You should not need to use WASD in a top-down camera perspective, you only use WASD for first/third person games, but in RTS you use the mouse to scroll along the edges of the screen (its much better as it frees your other hand to cast spells/abilities)

Heres a guide on the QWER hotkey setup

trust me WASD is not good for WC3, just take the time to learn and adjust to QWER

Everyone has their own way of playing RTS games.

4 Likes

Nobody who plays competitively uses WASD to move the camera, nobody. I’ve actually talked to enough players who were looking for help with this very question, and everybody who has ever tried using WASD realizes its not useful in WC3

I don’t intend to play this game competitively

3 Likes

QWER is still the most helpful/easiest setup to use, and mouse scrolling is the main style of play

WASD probably wont be included as a standard feature, but if you really want to use that setup you can download the keyboard tool above its just a lot of work to setup

or you could buy a custom keypad just search amazon for gaming keypad

Your not even answering my original question.

Will I even rebind the keys at all in the in-game options menu?

There is no option to do so in Warcraft 3 Original.

1. The camera is set to the Arrow keys < ^ > but WASD has never been an option. I don’t know if Reforged will ever have that option, maybe it will, but personally I don’t think that it will have WASD because that was never how this game was designed.

2. Reforged BETA currently has several HOTKEY options in the game options menu. You can choose between Default, Grid, or Custom

Default = Alphabetized, so like Build = B, Peon = P, etc.
Grid = ZXCV for spells, everything else on QWEASD
Custom = customkeys.txt (your WC3 install folder)

All of this is explained very clearly in that guide I linked you to in my first reply, the one that says “Improved Custom Hotkeys” just check it out, theres a picture that says “Example Image” just to see what QWER is all about.

1. When Reforged fully release, it will (hopefully/probably) have a fully customizable UI, meaning you will be able to go into the options and select each icon, move them around, and set each letter individually.

2. Originally WC3 CLASSIC used a file called customkeys.txt which configures your hotkeys to the QWER setup. This is the easiest setup to use because it puts all your hero spells onto QWER, which brings everything closer to your left hand. For this game, its better than WASD trust me.

The Guide I posted above (Improved Custom Hotkeys) allows you to use download a customkeys.txt file that you place into your wc3 install folder located on your PC for the QWER hotkeys

Are you playing Reforged BETA? or WC3 Classic?

So I don’t like to scroll with the mouse, and on my laptop it is painful to try to use compressed arrow keys I needs to setup WASD. I looked at the CustomKeys files for an easy way to fix this and instead of a simple keyboard remap it is an insane list of every command in the game. I really don’t care about the holy QWER setup. I just want WASD. That or hey it be nice to just zoom out and zoom back in where you want instead of slowly dragging a scroll wheel like any other app made after 2000. So yes has anyone been able to make a working Customkeys WASD file that works on a US keyboard?

If anyone at blizzard reads this please open up the camera control events to allow WASD camera movement

in fact just make everything rebindable so at least if they do something silly like rebind a key that was used for something else like they briefly did in this last patch, that it can be fixed with custom keybinds.