Ladder & (high) ping

Hi Blizzard, fellow Chieftains,

I think it is convenient that the ladder has some MMR to work with, despite this was only planned for a later stage. Of course, there are many questions. Is !mmr 3000 really the maximum? Or does it just not show higher? Time will tell.

What does disturb me is the cross-realm competition. We can face people across the globe with 400+ ms. 200 - 270 ms is very common. This is simply too high. Even people who live in neighbouring countries ping often seems incredibly high and does not meet reasonable expectation. Nor this was the case on TFT; even playing on other servers provided me better ping on TFT than it does now.

Now I get some factors may be at play:

• Opponents may (or may not?) suffer the same MS. I get if everyone suffers; there is no relative good or bad between the two. But absolutely seen, the world is off worse.
  • For players who recently started; 20 ms or 200 ms might not matter. But to those higher up the MMR this definitely does. Bodyblocking, creepsteals, items usage and split second reaction times strongly snowball the trajectory of the game.
  • Not having cross realm versus matches may increase search times. This depends on the size of the player pool. I get that there needs to be a considered trade off here.

Despite the above however, I feel that far too often my MS in game is far too high. The system should not be so loosely and not detour connections as much as now is the case.

Would like to hear other thoughts on this.

Edit:
Iā€™d also like to note we never get a ā€˜waiting for X to connectā€™ screen. People just freeze and drop/desync.

8 Likes

Just implement all the servers they have for their other titles and give us the choice of playing on a certain one or best choice like they do for all their other titles.

Itā€™s a simple fix. If peoples queues on specific servers are too long, then you pick best choice and get a quick game (albeit with the chance of really bad ping)

Iā€™m not sure how easy or not it is to make any changes. Iā€™m not in the world of IT or coding. But me being an end user along with friends it is worth to simply note that MS is generally much higher than in other games. And it also is compared to TFT. Imo two solid empirical factors that something in Reforged is not going as it should.

I ā€œhopeā€ more people share this issue. Just so it is more likely to be noted and handled.

1 Like

Well the reason itā€™s high is that the other Blizzard games have more servers.

Iā€™ll use HOTS Americas Region for example.

I, as an Australian, get these server options.

Best
Sydney Australia (30)
Singapore (150)
US WEST (200)
US CENTRAL (250)
Brazil (350)

However, from what Iā€™ve seen and read, my guess is that theyā€™re still using the old 4 gateway servers for Reforged. So EU, US WEST, US EAST, KOREA. And because you canā€™t pick thereā€™s chances youā€™re getting connected to one of these randomly.

When I played, I got 200 and 250ms all games, I played during the day time, prime US time, and with those numbers I can 99% guess what servers they are.

1 Like

Sometimes I start a game vs AI and have 250 ping. Also tried 5 LAN games with mates and we had 150 ping. Iā€™m based in Europe and usually have 50 ping. There is something clearly wrong.

1 Like

Yeah I was getting 65-95 on TFT and now itā€™s 120-170. I was also a 50 % solo noob on us east and now in playing streamers like bizzare and paladyn with 200 ping.

Wtf blizzard

Also tried 5 LAN games with mates and we had 150 ping.

when you have ping in a LAN game, it is not really LAN.

1 Like

We all logged off and connected to a LAN game created by one of our mates.

Under 100 - 150 ms is still playable.
But above 200 ms is unplayable, most of guys are from asia or US playing in EU.
Yeah host game depends on the country also, but it really sucks if netcodes got delay system.

@setcho

but in reforged even when you log off your still connected to a online server:

h ttps://clips.twitch.tv/SlickDeadTriangleKevinTurtle

(hes logged out, but still has ping in ai game)

you have to unplug your router to play offline in reforged.

1 Like

Which is why weā€™re asking to be able to pick which server we want to play on.

That and more servers to choose from for minor regions.

Playing from Argentina:
USeast 200ms on avg.
USwest 290ms on avg.
Europe 340ms on avg.
Asia 540ms on avg.

200ms feels playable to me, 290 its annoying but since im used to high latencyā€¦still doable.

It starts getting frustrating - really annoying at 300plus; weird thing is i had lower ping before Reforged than right now (not considering Asia server, never played there, but i know my ping on Azeroth, Northrend and Lordaeron was lower).

Internet Connection: 75mb. (Not the best, but should be able to pull a better ping; i played WarCraft III with 56kb back in 2004 soā€¦

Iā€™m in Australia. I get between 200ms and 450ms per match.

1 Like

What is playable is highly subjective. Some people are OK with anything below 200 ms. Some want 120 maximum. Others feel like anything above 50 affects their game play.

It is difficult to say what the norm should be. It is easy however to note that ping is higher than it should be, given we know how it was in TFT and other games. We canā€™t aim 20 MS for everyone, but we can aim to have the best possible given the situation. Which means: 1. get more/better server (routes) for players. Currently a Dutch person vs a German player generates 220 MS. This should be 15 MS and 2. reconsider how loosely the system searches outside of the classic regions.

Thank you OP, thatā€™s exactly the situation Iā€™m in now. Itā€™s like no-one believes us that ping affects reaction time and very small things like being able to weave units out of battle. I vs. enemy players all the time that can micro their units, or kite with their heroes, but when I do the same, my army is insta-dead, unless I got a good ping in that match then I play to a closer extent of my skills and reaction times. WC 3 is an intricate game, where FPS, graphics, CPU and latency matters in a combination.

I play custom games which have similar ping, yet better less delay then ladder? On custom games I can control an armada of units in the same group and separately and instant nuke/cast vs enemy teams while pro-surrounding with units. I can instantly debuff or purge my heroes the moment enemies cast slow or banish and use Invul pot in split seconds. On ladder, itā€™s different. I canā€™t explain it, but you know it and feel it.

Itā€™s also hard to rush and takes longer to try new tactics and builds, while the only way to try out new stuff is already built on the safe strong tactics that I currently use. If Iā€™d have lower ping, Iā€™d have more confidence in rushing bases, or donā€™t need to build frost towers in alert of being rushed.

Unless Blizzardā€™s is interested in a few countries MMR, the rest of the minor regions will just be fodders to them, or one-sided stomp. MMR motivates me to play alot, and itā€™s an amazing implement, but I know I wonā€™t be able to reach the number crunch that I want to reach because the first limitation is not having server regions for AU.

2 Likes

Really Blizzard? Matching me half across the globe with 390 ping, spikes to 650 and my opponent has 40? This really needs to be fixed. Along with the joinbug rate of about 35% (I feel this has gotten worse)

postimg.cc/xqYLR78R

Even games prior to this we had games containing Dutch, German, Austria players. We had 190 - 260 ms. That is insane. It is like it connects us to a server in the US and back. This delay is worse than on TFT when I connected to US West of US East.

alot of european players just quit the game when they get matched with korean players on the korean server. its unplayable.

the inability to select gateways to play on is another dropped ball by blizzard and another slap in the face of the community.

game will be dead by next month if they dont fix it.

3 Likes

Just play W3Champions ladder. . . it works brilliantly. If Blizz wonā€™t get rid of global matchmaking the players will find another way!

2 Likes

I cant play war3 with 500 pingā€¦ Why did they merge the servers? Was the playerbase low, and did they want to guarantee games?

I never quit the match unless itā€™s a total wipe from the start, but yup, it sums up how I feel. I get 200-250 ping vs Koreans or Chinese players and there are so many times I couldā€™ve out-microed them in a fair situation. Last match I held off to late game and we had close to full upgraded late-game armies with strong heroes. In our last engagement, By the time I could cast any dispels, their Berserked Taurens and Headhunters over-whelmed and decimated most of my army before I could even kite or move anywhere. In a clear picture of my mind, I wouldā€™ve kited back and fourth while dispelling and nuking the 5-6 Taurens, taking away their speed while melting them with my 3 Destroyers. I couldnā€™t do any of that. During big fights, it feels and almost looks like it goes too slow for me, while at the same time, my opponentā€™s game is going nice and fast for them, and too fast for me. If this wasnā€™t an issue, then people wouldnā€™t be complaining about the same thing.