Is W3: Reforged worth it?

As someone who preordered the game, refunded it, rebought it and then refunded it again only to buy it back immediately afterwards due to the sale…

Multiplayer-wise, nah, not worth it IMO. Playerbase is far too small to have anyone who is not already a competent person enter it. You’re also probably going to be facing the same bad actors multiple times both on your side and the other, each time not having a good experience.

Singleplayer though… The answer is yes. If you include custom campaigns.
The amount of changes made to singleplayer has been either not significant enough as to warrant a new price tag, or has been so poorly implemented that it actually is better to play the original version.
But custom campaigns have a thing where sometimes people make better things than what officially exists. And Reforged has a couple that require owning it to really have a solid experience:
Chronicles of the Second War as well as ReReforged are both great campaigns (With the former having only a demo right now but what has been shown looks really promising and the latter having the prologue and the first human campaign finished at the moment, with the first undead one in development) that showcase how the main campaigns could have looked if proper effort was put into development and I believe that if one only cares about the single-player stuff, it’s worth it. If bought during a sale.

3 Likes

Question is : Do you have AMD cpu or AMD gpu or ASUS computer ? If yes, DONT BUY !
You wont be able to play, ( stuck to low FPS, big lag, big spikes)

Even if you don’t have AMD, don’t BUY because they are not able to fix their bugs caused by the last patch, for 2 months now despite mass complaints

1 Like

It’s worth it if you haven’t previously experienced warcraft III. If you already own Warcraft 3 from buying it before Reforged, then it’s not especially worth it, as you don’t need to buy it to play anything in the game. Reforged just gets you different graphics, some hero skins and more screen visibility. So only buy it if you don’t allready own War3 RoC/TfT.

That said. After a year and a half of nothing, they finally started putting out the updates the game was supposed to get and it is in a better spot for the most part than at its launch.

For the sale price, I think it’s reasonable- more so if you want multiplayer battles and custom games than if you are more interested in the campaign.

Also, ignore this. I have both an AMD CPU and GPU and have no significant issues. There is a bug of some sort impacting some player’s framerates, but the specific link with AMD hardware is questionable. And in most cases it is just lower FPS than expected; ignore couple of people here shouting “unplayable” in all caps, it just really isn’t. There hasn’t been “mass complaints,” it’s been mostly just the same four or five people on this forum.

This fps issue is the only major complaint going on right now and they have fixed a lot of issues and restored most of the functionality that was lost when Reforged originally came out.

5 Likes

I actually wonder if Blizzard had stopped forcing reforged download on to players who has old warcraft 3 and it’s expansion installed? Because I had heard about it happening in the first days of Warcraft 3 Reforged disaster.

I should clarify one thing: The campaign is somewhat different with reforged enabled vs not, and progress is tracked seperately for both. The Reforged campaign applied significant revisions including making hard mode harder and adding checkpoints and revising the appearance and balance.

If you play campaign with reforged mode off, you get the campaign as it was before Reforged.

2 Likes

No. Reforged is still a patch to the game. The original bnet servers are offline and it cannot be played online, so outside of the campaign, staying on old war3 versions is useless.

I’ll be frank: I only play versus, and a handful of custom maps that were built post reforged. I played through and beat the campaign ages ago and don’t have any particular desire to do so ever again. LAN parties also aren’t really a thing in my life anymore either.

If you just play VS the game is playable. I can’t speak for the editor issues since I havent tried to make a map since sometime after TFT came out. And as far as that, the game is entirely playable, at least for me. I do not claim to represent anyone else. And as far as the custom games I do play, they all work well enough.

2 Likes

I had watched a video had covered the part where the original W3 owners would get a free download of the reforged (and it wasn’t an option at that point).

If you have RoC CD key linked to your BNET account, you get Reforged SD free. This does not include access to any HD content, or the revised camapign.

4 Likes

You are misleading and reducing the impact of the game on AMD Users. Trully is unplayable.

I’m not misleading anything. I’m on both AMD CPU and GPU and it is not unplayable. It’s not even problematic for me personally Maybe my standards are just lower than yours, I don’t know, but If i’m not affected, then logically there are at least some others not affected as well. I’ve also seen people outside of the AMD bubble complaining- so I’m not convinced this is a hardware specific issue. My GPU is rather crap, but my FPS isn’t any lower than usual, and i’ve played dozens and dozens of games with no issue at frame rates (which have always been normal for me) that are lower than what you and yours are declaring to be “unplayable.”

The community needs players, so I will of course speak out against people using this issue to discourage people from playing the game. At the minimum, they should try it and see if they encounter the issue. They can always get a refund if it’s “unplayable.”

I’m not a troll at all, and you are defaming me, I have flagged this post and I will continue to flag any post where your only purpose is to disparage me.

I make every single comment and post in good faith. I’m not here to stir pots, I’m only here to tell the truth and find and get to the truth. Sorry that you can’t understand that, but that’s the way it is.

3 Likes

If you are having issues with the game, you can go to the technical support and provide your DXDIAG file. So that way they can help you to make the game more playable.

1 Like

Wish I knew this sooner… Though I doubt I could find my old box after all these years.

Just because he makes comments that you do not agree with does not mean he is trolling. Nor does it mean he is doing it for money. Now quit it.

1 Like

no do not get it the community is beyond toxic and blizzard has abandoned it

I’m simply telling the truth. Period. I can not reporoduce this issue. I’m not going to agree with a (imaginary, because a handful of people posting on the forum is not a majority of all players) majority just because a supposed majority thinks something. If I agree with something, it’s because I know it to be true.

You can believe whatever you want, you have that right, but that doesn’t make it true. And it’s not true.

If you really want proof, I’m more than happy to stream myself playing and show that I’m not having any sort of random stuttering or other majorly dehabilitating performance issue with this:
Imgur

Cue the laugh track for having a GPU thats years behind the relatively new CPU I have installed, I just havent gotten around to getting a new one yet.

I’ve never had a win not count since the last patch. While I do still occasionally see the failed to retrieve data message, the game always subsequently shows up in my record afterward. It is however true that the MMR system is rather messed up for team games. And frankly, if you didn’t rub so many people the wrong way, you wouldn’t have this problem where you need to silence everybody.

It’s hilarious to imagine that Blizzard would pay anyone to be simply less grumpy than other forum-goers lol. Anyone who actually reads what I have to say knows I’m no Blizzard worshipper lol, I’m just not riding the hate train to heck.

2 Likes

They un-abandoned it a while back, and while I actually agree with you the community is toxic, that’s mostly limited to regular VS team modes. Custom games and 1v1 are honestly fine. And the single player campaign can’t be toxic either.

Not to mention there’s a whole world of custom campaigns out there that are worth experiencing even if you hate the community and/or Blizzard.

There’s just so much that’s worth experiencing that I can’t tell someone not to buy it just because Blizzard/Activision stinks. Many of us have fond memories with the game and the things that produced them are worth experiencing for others. Even if there are bugs and AB is a crap company.

1 Like

i can barely play a game, almost every single game someone leaves, back stabs or just acts plain stupid and COMPLETELY takes the enjoyment out of it, i cant even take ladder serious, i am currently 5-14 because of this… its complete and utter bullcrap i have to deal with this over and over and over and over… i play purely 4x4 and its bullcrap i have to deal with this.

There are solutions to this problem:

1. Play 1v1, w here no one can ever backstab you
  2. play in a group, where people probably aren’t going to backstab you
  3. Be good enough that people don’t leave when they see you, and/or have a good enough social reputation that people won’t give you crap because they know you.

4v4 is a joke in the best of times, people only play it because there is more action. If you really want to play seriously, play 1v1 and/or 2v2 only. And with 2v2, it’s easy enough to find a partner you can party with and trust that they won’t just leave.

With this kind of game, the more players in a match, the messier things get and the more random it is. It’s way better to stick to smaller teams. This isn’t exclusive to war3.

An RTS like war3 has a massive number of variables to track, and it is exceptionally easy compared to other genres to be bad at it. This is one of the main reasons this genre isn’t that popular these days and there haven’t been many new games in this style. So you either need to be more tolerant of people who are bad at the game, or you need to find friends you can trust to play with.

1 Like

no one plays 2x2 or 3x3 anymore, i have been looking for people to AT with, making forum posts etc etc…nothing… i play 4x4 because its the only mode i can find games.

I play 2v2 all the time, and I greatly prefer it to anything bigger, even if sometimes that one partner can be as brutally toxic as an entire team if I don’t live up to their expectations.

If you want to play I certainly can but I’m pretty garbo at the game so I can’t blame you for declining.