Interesting bloomberg article

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2021-07-22/inside-activision-blizzard-s-botched-warcraft-iii-reforged-game

12 Likes

Probably team that is doing Diablo Resurrected which is close to being finished will work on WC3 next. I don’t play D2 but people I know who do seem satisfied with how D2 Resurrected is going .

4 Likes

Seems to be mostly the same as his last article. With the exception of some exposition, it’s essentially what his sources have said in the past and/or what players already believed happened.

I my hopes are on Bob Salami DLC

Don’t give me hope.

3 Likes

I love how they seem to be blatantly aware of exactly how they failed this game, and say they will strive to not make the same mistakes again with newer stuff, but don’t say anything about actually fixing THIS mess. Don’t get me wrong, I DO like the new visuals (with the quenching mod installed at least). Reforged is a great beta. But I REALLY miss the custom campaign feature and was really hoping there’d be more in the way of optional skins. If they had come out and told us “guys it’s taking longer than we thought, you can either refund your preorder or agree to wait longer” I would have opted to sit and wait longer for what should have been an amazing upgrade to one of my favorite games. The radio silence they gave us during development hurt the project big time.

8 Likes

I surprise that this article took a year to come out.

I have to agree with some of the things TheQuartering says while reading this is.
(1105) Blizzard Is Collapsing! New BRUTAL Report On Warcraft Failures Highlight Dysfunction - YouTube

“The company couldn’t bump the game too much more without potentially being forced to send out refunds and risking that the fans wouldn’t Buy the game again.”

1: “risking that the fans wouldn’t Buy the game again.” Already happening BECAUSE this game is such a dumpster fire AND YOU STOPPED ALL MAJOR PROGRESS AND UPDATES SINCE RELEASE LAST YEAR!
2: Your suppose to take that risk!
3: “being forced to send” Already happening!
4: Either way Blizz you lost

“We took pre-orders when we knew the game wasn’t ready yet”
1: I have 0 words to explain how stupid this is!

the company needed to “resist the urge to ship an unfinished product because of financial pressure.”
1: THAN WHY WAS THIS GAME RELEASED!?!?!?!

“I think Blizzard lost some community trust.”

1: YA THINK!?!?!?!

“But they’ve earned quite a bit of trust over the years, and it will take more than one bad game release to destroy it.”

1: Lets see…Warcraft 3 is a dumpster fire…check,
Blizzard employee calls Asmongold an a-hole on twitter causing backlash and the “WoW Exodus”…check,
No sign of completion for Warcraft 3 Reforge in sight…Check
Blizzard bends knee to Communist Party in China…Check
I think you have lost more than a little trust other they or obviously “Cylon” Fans who you seem to have programmed to think Blizzard can do no wrong!
Did I miss something?!?!

Blizz why don’t you before working and announcing Diablo 2 Resurrected KEEP YOUR PROMISSESS AND FIX THIS GAME!!! ALSO GET YOUR HOUSE IN ORDER!!! Cause it really does look like the “No king rules forever” is true for you.

oh well they all ACTi vision anyways looks like if we want change we got to effect the Call of Duty wallet :frowning:

I think this was Inevitable as “Nothing Lasts”

4 Likes

This news drop’s today, and the eve bigger news articles about Act/Blizz harassment case.

I check this forum every day like a hopefull idiot. Hoping for a sliver of something. I finally hear somthing, and its all bad.

1 Like

This is the worst quote in my opinion. They are basically just conceding the game was bad, wasn’t ready to be released, and they really had no intention of ever fixing it. But, hey “we can mess up because our community will forgive us anyway.” Just a piss poor attitude to have.

8 Likes

You know whats the worst part? WoW has arguebly been like this for years, WoW expansions have not recover since the WoD crisis, the closest was Legion, and even then they refused to give numbers, i guess that says enough.

5 Likes

No WoW releases have been this bad, ever. You can make arguments the game got worse over time, but Reforged is definitely the worst Blizzard release of all time, and possibly even one of the worst/most premature game releases of all time.

1 Like

sure, but people always forgive Blizzard with what they made bad with WoW, and the overall perception is that Blizzard has complainers, but not bad games (except for W3R), and thats the thing, inside things arent ok, W3R is the worst game ever made by blizzard, but its the only “bad game” made by blizzard in the public eye, and while that might be true, i dont like this thought that this was just a “Mistake”, for me, this was the beginning of the end, Blizzard is making a lot of things wrong now, and this is the first of many games that will be a huge letdown im sure

3 Likes

I think that we all knew about this stuff anyways, it was kinda obvious lol

1 Like

It is my understanding that Warcraft III will likely be worked on after Diablo II Resurrected.

I suspect the main issue with Warcraft III Reforged was high up management not understanding the game. After the success of Spyro the Dragon, Crash Bandicoot and StarCraft it seemed that “remakes” were super easy to make and a sure fire way to sell a lot. However none of those games are at all like Warcraft III as far as why people play it which is why they made a huge mistake with it.

Both Spyro the Dragon and Crash Bandicoot were rebuilt from the ground up using modern game engines. There was nothing technically complicated or time consuming to worry about and based on how progress is going they had a very good estimate of when it will be ready. Spyro needed a massive day 1 update so they did cut the release deadline close, but functionally it just worked. The only content people play in these games is the game content itself, which the developers have full QA control over.

Then there was StarCraft. StarCraft is quite a simple game that got a HD sprite treatment and some under the hood improvements. Most people play StarCraft for melee mode or the campaign, both of which Blizzard has full QA over. Yes there are custom maps, but few people would complain if they were broken, not like that would be too likely given how simple the game engine is.

Then came Warcraft III. Unlike the above games, Warcraft III is almost entirely custom map driven, which is outside of the control of QA. A lot of this custom content did a lot of broken hacky stuff to work, which is prone to breaking even with small code changes. Warcraft III was also barely in a working state to begin with, with critical security vulnerabilities and buffer overrun errors all over the place. So what do they decide to do to this game? Remake the campaign, remake the graphics and make a lot of new game mechanics in the same buggy engine all the while supporting those same hacky custom maps. Anyone can see this was doomed to fail from the start… They even threw in outlandish features such as “integrated model editor” which anyone in the industry knows is a stupid idea given how extremely complicated model editing software is, after all there is a reason companies can charge huge licences for such software.

These issues quickly became apparent. A small change likely caused a mountain of broken content. First the remade campaign had its scope reduced, then was dropped almost entirely. Then features started to be dropped. Then major features were missing or very broken approaching launch day, and as fast as they fixed something, another thing broke. Come launch day very little of what was promised was delivered, a lot of content that worked before no longer was playable and the refunds started pouring in. The development team was slowly making good progress fixing Warcraft III Reforged, but ultimately management high up saw it as a dead horse like Heroes of the Storm and so pulled the plug on it. It apparently still has a maintenance team of sorts so I would not be surprised if a patch does eventually drop after Diablo II Resurrected.

What people actually wanted with Warcraft III Reforged was a true remake of Warcraft III, such as using an updated StarCraft II engine. Since the StarCraft II engine is already highly polished, all the development team would need to focus on is copying the game mechanics and implementing the content. Content production would fall down similar to other remakes, where there are no surprised to cause delays and management can get a good estimate on when all content will be ready. Since this is a remake offering new features and WoW lore integration, no one would expect it to behave exactly the same and there would be a lot of opportunities for future content (DLCs) even. As for the existing TFT, all it needed was some final changes such as BattleNet 2.0 integration, support for competitive melee and wide screen support and it could then be along side Warcraft III on the launcher as “Warcraft III: Classic”. If people want to to play their classic Warcraft III custom maps then there is Warcraft III: Classic, however new map makers would have access to Warcraft III: Reforged, and its better graphics and more feature filled engine.

Fortunately Diablo II: Resurrected is unlikely to suffer such problems. Not only is it another mechanically simple game, but people played Diablo II for the standard online gameplay, and not custom user content. They are also outlining very realistic improvements. As such it falls very much into StarCraft territory and that was a success. Even if an entirely new engine was used, it then falls into the Spyro/Crash territory which were also successes. There is practically nothing they can do wrong to Diablo II unless they intentionally go out the way to do so.

3 Likes

Nobody talks about the broken processor-sucking menus that take forever to render and stop you from actually starting the game on hardware more than capable of rendering play.

2 Likes

Grubby’s thoughts/commentary regarding this: Grubby | My Thoughts On The Latest REFORGED NEWS... - YouTube

It is pretty funny that Blizzard expects us all to purchase Ressurected to save them from oblivion… like good fanbois. Are they seriously so out of touch they think we have already forgotton they abandoned this game for 2 years in a broken state missing basic features from the original?

FYI Blizz, in case we haven’t made it clear enough for you… Many of us won’t be buying another Blizzard title until you fix this one. That is just logical. Fool me once, shame on you, but fool me twice?

And btw, that is even generous to even give you another chance after how this company has treated this community over the last few years. It wasn’t even about resources, it was about spite (we know this because W3champions fixed your game for you FOR FREE but you still didn’t engage w/ them). We see you now.

6 Likes

Instead of “buying” I’m wondering how many people “preordered” it. That’s because well, in the end it can turn out to be a great game or another Reforged. The real problem is buying something on a fake promise. I’ll give it 1 year after the release and see what happens…

3 Likes

I would spend $200 on a true D2 reforge from a company that cared about their product.

Based on the lack of communication and outright contempt Blizzard has shown for the fans of THIS game, I’m guessing if it’s doesn’t make at least $1 trillion in profits on the 1st day, Activision will shut it down immediately and all contact between Blizz and the Community will cease abruptly. Maybe they’ll appoint some WoW CSR to tease us every few months before finally leaking they’re aware of their failure yet STILL have no intention of doing anything about it. Make sure you pre-order D4, btw…

At least, that’s how I assume Blizzard operates now. I wish they would prove me wrong but I’ve yet to see evidence of that.

I’ll never preorder ANY game anymore, not only from Blizzard^^

3 Likes