I need to be able to select more than 12 units

its not harder to cast spells in sc2. its actually much easier because u can tab through your units in a LARGE selection. i commonly put all my casters together in sc2 and tab through them to cast. also box casting heals is really difficult in wc3 because of the limits. if your healter is in control group 1 and you notice a unit in control group 2 needs healing you can’t box heal him you need to find him on the battle field because clicking an other control group cancels the cast. so u can have 1 paladin and 11 swordsman in 1 group and 12 more swordsman in 2 group. the 2nd group of 2 swordsman aren’t going to get healed as efficiently as the 1st group and there is only 1 paladin… i could go on all day with reasons the hard limit is no good and definitely not “intelligent design” as was claimed unless by intelligent you mean designed to not break video cards in the early 2000s

sc2 has 20 in the main part of the control group then little numbers to the side 1,2,3 for each group of 20 more with no hard limit and thats cause by 2012 gpus were strong enough to handle it (well supposed to be, there were lots of issues with gpus dying when it first came out) but now days even my kids laptop with 128mb video ram can play sc2 with all the optimizations they have added to it so really its no excuse for this game but at the time the optimizations hadn’t been made. it is now 2020, we deserve larger control groups and even a larger food count, and a whole army hotkey

if they were trying to entice new users they wouldn’t have brought a game from 2003 back with 0 improvements aside from graphical overhaul

3 Likes

What about custom games that ignored the limit altogether and ran fine?

So in conclusion:
Increasing the unit limit will make the game more friendly and attractive for new players, while it will not affect pros in any negative way. It may even be helpful to them too on rare occasions.
It will also positively impact some custom maps.

1 Like

I am against this change if only for the barrier to entry. It’s not the 12 unit limit I am really for or against here. It’s the type of players who won’t play the game because of the limit who I don’t want to feel welcomed into the game.

If there was somehow a way to keep these players out and also remove unit selection cap, that’d be most preferable.

And we have to talk about this in 2021 and necro the post as though these kinds of system level features were still being added. Because, let’s face it, we all need a little comedy in our lives.

[Edit: But I mean I literally saw pictures of a mod where some guy rewrote the UI code to have no cap. So, it can be done, it simply is not easy.]

I’d imagine if anyone was going to actually mod this feature it would be the team behind the quenching mod. They seem to be really good at modding WC3R.