How to install with CD Key?

I downloaded the games from the website of blizzard, because my PC has no disc drive. But when I wanted to start the game, the opening screen of reforged says that there is an error.
At no point I was asked for a CD Key
I have both classic games, so it should work somehow I hope?

Have you linked your RoC game key to your Battlenet account? It’s supposed to detect that when launching.

How can I Link it to my account?

In your account management, there will be an “Redeem a Code” field in the Summary section. Put the game key there and that should do it.

If it doesn’t take the key, use a support ticket (preferably Live Chat or Callback) and a GM should be able to link it for you.

2 Likes

Thanks very much mate!
WC3 Community is not toxic like they say :wink:

2 Likes

We are only toxic against big companies, which don’t give a damn about us, but we are definitely the best community :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Welcome!
I have a question for you:
Did you put just your RoC key in or both RoC and TFT?

If you did just RoC, try not putting in your TFT key and see if the new client gives you access to TFT anyway. There’s reports that RoC will give access to both and I’d like to get a verification.

I downloaded the game from this website:
X_Battle.net fĂĽr Windows und Mac herunterladen | Battle.net

and after downloading 28GB of data there was no offer to enter a Key. I could just launch the game via battlenet app and got the message that there has been an error.

I will try it when I’m home again, but here is a discription I found for others who have the same problem:
X_MMOGA Ltd.

Ah! The game doesn’t have the key entry. It’s in your account management.

The article you linked is showing the old account management UI. The new should open right to your Summary page. At the top is the key entry field.

1 Like

This is because it automatically resolves your key from your BattleNet account. If the account lacks one, then it fails with that rather unhelpful error message. As mentioned above, add the keys to your account to get access to Classic. I can confirm this works as it is how I play WC3 at the moment.

If the keys cannot be added because they were already added or are invalid, then one has little choice but to purchase Reforged. In this case you were likely a victim of CD Key theft.

1 Like

thx guys! worked!

Hi all,

I linked the CD keys to my RoC and TfT games to my blizzard account (they are both clearly listed under classic games), and they just send me back to the download section of the blizzard website. Either the RoC or TfT links download the same file (Warcraft-III-Setup) and my Battle.net app only shows that I have reforged installed. Not to sure where to take it from here. Any help would be appreciated

I will tell you what you must do sneaky turtle. This is the secret we all learn when dealing with ABK’s Reforged product:

Officially speaking, there is no more TFT or RoC. Officially, what you are calling Reforged is those. So when you try to download it takes you back to Reforged because Reforged is those now. If you want to play Frozen Throne patch 1.32, the only way to do that is to launch Reforged engine and click on the classic graphics slider.

Now, you sound like a wise man who is old enough to believe… Maybe there’s something out there. Maybe there is a game called Frozen Throne… that is, or was, or will be better than the Reforgedism Patch 1.32 game version of Frozen Throne.

And that is why all of us in the know already know what you are looking for, even though officially it is no longer provided.

To get what you are looking for, you must find a very specific URL. This URL is repeated on many fan sites in obscure locations. This is a URL to download from official battle.net a game called Reign of Chaos and an Expansion For That Game called the Frozen Throne that downloads and installs separately. Both of them require CD keys, which can no longer be acquired.

But you sound like you are a wise man, and you have the CD keys already, so to get the game you can download from:

https://us.battle.net/download/getLegacy?product=WAR3&locale=enUS&os=WIN
https://us.battle.net/download/getLegacy?product=W3XP&locale=enUS&os=WIN

These links circulate periodically on these forums and on fan websites because I believe they are the last ones. We have used them for two years, but they might honestly be an accident. They might stop working at any time. If you download the game, keep a backup if you want it.

Otherwise, accept Reforged into your life as the Frozen Throne, for according to the powers that be, it is and shall be.

Edit: yes my name is reforged

2 Likes

I’ll cut out the fluff from the above here.

The version commonly known as “reforged” is simply the current version of Warcraft III. Your classic CD keys give you the ability to play the latest version of the game, without the Reforged graphics and extras.

If you search around online, you can find links to old versions of the game, and you can certainly download them. However, you can’t connect to the internet with them as they will just update to the latest version (aka Reforged).

Basically the reason for this is it’s still the Warcraft III game engine in there, it’s just running with a chromium front end slapped on top and new graphical assets. Everything that’s disabled in the current version is disabled because they haven’t created the replacement systems in the front-end yet (or ever, at this rate).

This means you’re limited to playing offline or on a LAN, or an illegal third party classic battle.net server. These two things work fine in the latest version though. The only thing you truly need an old version of the game for (given that you can’t play online normally) is custom campaigns at the moment.

Was this a dumb design decision? Yes. Note that with Diablo II resurrected, even though they’re using the same back-end code from the original game, they made it a separate game and kept the original version running and playable (you can even still buy it on the battle.net store). This is what they should have done here, but I think the original intention with these remasters in the first place was to move the games to the New Battle.net system so they could fully terminate the old one. But after they botched Warcraft III, I think they figured out they still need to keep it around.

1 Like

or maps that have a custom ability with more than 1 tech item required, or any number of other similar things that a polished world editor made by a well managed company in 2003 created that were lost during the high-level corporate defunding of Reforged

1 Like

The current world editor can do those things, that functionality wasn’t lost.

Bulls*! Open your Reforged world editor and make Aerial Shackles ability (not the upgrade for it) require Farm and Arcane Sanctum (in that order) then build a farm but not an arcane sanctum. When you do this ingame, it unlocks the skill anyway, since Reforged screwed everything up in the game’s internal subsystems at the most fundamental levels

EDIT: AND THAT’S JUST ONE EXAMPLE

2 Likes

Well that’s just reforged being reforged, it’s not an editor bug.

ok. Yes I was saying that with regards to when you said, “The only thing you truly need an old version of the game for”.

Having working techtree systems in the game engine is an example of something you overlooked, as another reason to play with an old version if you’re creative and you want a techtree requirement system that works