If i activate a W3 Frozen Throne key on Battle.net, will i be able to play Reforged in Classic Mode?

Hi.

If i´m not mistaken, having Warcraft 3 (the old one) activated on battlenet allows you to play Reforged but only in Classic Mode. My question is, if i activate only a Frozen Throne key (not the Battlechest or Reign of Chaos, only the expansion), will i still be granted the Reforged Classic Mode?

I have a Frozen Throne key but wanted to check first, in order to consider if it would be better to search for a Reign of Chaos key too or buy Reforged directly (when its fixed at least).

I haven’t heard of anyone trying it. You might be the first to publicly find out. It can’t hurt to try though. It will forever protect that TFT license in case the physical key is ever lost.

If it works, definitely let us know!

I can confirm that the key is redeemed successfully, appearing in my classic games section as “Warcraft III The Frozen Throne”, with the original key activated. So, the expansion key can be redeemed even if you don´t have Reign of Chaos.

However, the installer provided by Blizzard installs W3 Reforged and, when launches, it says: “There Was An Error In Handling The Request”. I guess you´ll need to activate a key of Reign of Chaos in order to access Classic Mode, and the Frozen Throne key alone is not enough. Or maybe this is a Reforged bug, who knows.

To be safe, log out of account management, log out of the launcher, close the launcher (wait for Blizzard Update Agent to close), then reopen, relog in and see if that changes anything.

If it doesn’t, then you may be correct that TFT alone won’t unlock the Reforged client.

I tested what Leviathan suggested and still doesn´t work (prompted a login screen, added my battlenet acount and same error), so i guess a ROC key is needed after all. So sure, that would be great :slight_smile:

Just curious. Are you using the launcher to open the game? What you described in your last post sounds like you launched from the executable.

I used the battle.net launcher. There is also a direct shortcut on the desktop but still opens the launcher.

What i did was download the TFT installer from Blizzard site, which installed W3 Reforged, and then this happened. When a Reign of Chaos key is redeemed, the error dissapears and the game starts in Classic Mode. I´m curious to know if someone who only activated RoC could play TFT in Classic Mode or not, but clearly the other way around is not possible.

That does work. A lone RoC key will give both RoC and TFT (in Classic mode only, obviously).

I’ve had two verifications so far. First, a friend (who told me verbally). And second, from a post from the other day (they indicate it worked at the end of the thread).

Edit: On second read, they never indicate if they used only RoC or both. So it falls back on my friend’s word. But either way, you already have the TFT key in so you’ll be guaranteed good to go if you put a RoC key in.

1 Like

Someone in reddit confirmed what you say. He only has Reign of Chaos but could play TFT content on Reforged Classic Mode.

So i guess is this way regarding redeemed W3 classic keys on Battlenet:

Reign of Chaos NO Frozen Throne NO = No Classic Mode Reforged
Reign of Chaos NO, Frozen Throne YES = No Classic Mode Reforged
Reign of Chaos YES, Frozen Throne NO = RoC+TFT Classic Mode Reforged
Reign of Chaos YES, Frozen Throne YES = RoC+TFT Classic Mode Reforged

And obviously, buying Reforged gives you the last Classic scenario plus Reforged.

Mistery solved i guess :smiley:

Awesome! I’m bookmarking this one for the future. Thanks!

1 Like