How characters Should Look like

I’m not trying to insult anyone, as I said Warcraft 3 has been the first game I ever played. When I found out there were Warcraft 3 maps on the Starcraft 2 arcade I immediately downloaded them and played on them for hours on end.

I admire people who tried bringing the game back to life even before Blizzard did, I was following the Armies of Azeroth facebook page with every new update.

I never meant an insult to them, it was more a critic on Blizzard’s design.

Yes, they remade his model using the Archmage skeleton, which needs a staff for his attack/cast animations as well, so it’s still the same point I made about the Druid of the Talon.

Nor for any other official artwork for that matter, but as I have said:

I can’t, because it never makes an appearance outside of artworks. I don’t know where it came from, why he has it, or why he suddenly rides on a goat.

I can’t explain any of this. The people who could, didn’t do it.

Now you’re just trying to put words in my mouth to discredit my argument and it’s something I don’t take kindly, take it back.

I’ve tried to argue this basing myself on the lore we’ve been given on Malfurion since forever which goes in direct contradiction with his depiction in old artwork and old character models.

Turns out concept arts for HotS were made by the same WC3 dude Samwise - this explains why they look better.

1 Like

Hot take of the century: I appreciate what Samwise did for building Warcraft but I’m not a fan of his artstyle kind of heading the Blizzard look afterwards and winding up homogenizing super hard across the company. Stuff like Starcraft 2 and even Diablo 3 to a lesser degree kind of lost a bit of their aesthetic. Though I will give kudos to the Reaper of Souls team. Some of those new areas and tilesets they released across some of the seasons are tight and felt like those design ideas would fit right at home in D2.

1 Like

Well that truth is, is that he is gonna be in the game with the staff… Mostly because of game play… He’s a range hero… So his auto attack would look weird without the staff

Please let’s not go there to better or worse… Everyone has a different opinion, we should preserve old looks, for me all models in wow heroes look really cool

Blood Mage, Lich, Keeper of the Grove, Demon Hunter in Metamorphosis, and the Firelord all throw their projectiles without weapons.

1 Like

Diablo and Starcraft are Diablo and Starcraft, but Warcraft has to be Samwise/Metzen

1 Like

You missed the point of my little post. I don’t disagree though either. Warcraft’s always had the kind of comic book/superhero look that’s only been exaggerated and leaned into over the years. I do enjoy that the in-game Reforged character designs reflect the cinematic style we’ve been seeing since as far back as Warcraft 3. Warcraft 2 cinematics… ehhh they weren’t taking super huge fantasy liberties yet.

Right, of all the models they choose to use for Malfurion, they use a skeleton that includes a staff. There arevmany other mounted models that dont have a staff and they didnt use those ones. That means the staff was important enough to his design to keep and not just throw away. Even Thrall retains his Doomhammer and doesnt use a staff like the Farseer.

2 Likes

I admit in the post of mine you’re replying to I’m being super tight about semantics. I was just saying they didn’t remake his model at all.

Blood mage does usa his magical orbs as weapons… It can be seen in his animation he actually takes them and throws them at people, which is kinda cool, the other ones are all sorcerers… Using magic… How would the animation of malfurion would go like without the staff?

Probably magic. It looks like magic. It looks like the bird he suddenly emits from his staff, the glowing green transparent magical bird, is magic. I think since he’s a druid he might be magical and be able to cast spells and use magic to sling a magical bird at someone.

What is shown in Warcraft 3 visually IS essentially lore, especially if supported by external media. The same can be said of Jaina having a hood regardless if the description ever appears in the novels or in WoW. She has a hood in Warcraft 3 and that is effectively the lore of her character. WoW contradicts this just as much as it dies for Malfurion, but Jaina remains with a hood in reforged, HotS and many external art sources meaning the hood is not a conflict of lore.

The druid of the talon explanation has nothing to do with conflicting lore since it was featured in his warcraft 3 concept art as an Archdruid. That his weapon isnt named or mentioned has little to do with being non-canon.

They dont explain why Grom has a warbanner, why Thrall rides a wolf or why Ner’zhul is stuck in human shaped armor when he was an Orc. That is no reason to question their use and representation in the game.

If they choose to elaborate or change they can, but I doubt they will change things too significantly considering the models are supposed to represent the same ones in SD. I doubt they will make Thrall a melee unit in the campaign unless they are going out of their way to change the entire campaign experience, but seeing how Arthas plays exactly as he did in WC3 so far tells us otherwise. To me its wait and see. Im fine with them changing janky gameplay aspects like Thrall and Grom not having to be based on Farseers and Blademasters, but I wouldnt say its because of lore reasons that they would get these changes.

Changing a Heros weapon is fairly significant. I can understand if they make Malf have green hair instead of blue or give him wings when he didnt have them back then. I dont mind. But if they suddenly make him a melee brawler who uses his claws or shapeshift into a bear like he does now in BFA, I personally feel it detracts from what he is supposed to be represented as in WC3, as flawed as you may think his design may have been.

4 Likes

Agreed, whatever appeared in War 3 is lore, limitations of the time or not, this is what came out, and what we all remember and love.
in the case of malfurion there’s a pretty decent and detailed model of his,during the end cinematic of war3 …in which he didn’t have the claws or the wings, so that tells us by that time he did not have them. we cant even be sure it was in the head of the writers of that time.
Did u know the fog, the most iconic element of silent hill was a limitation of the processors of the playstation 1?? so it was added to give time for the buildings to render…try telling their fans the fog is not canon

1 Like

The only thing in Reforged that slightly reminds me of WC3 cinematics is footman model, honestly. No idea how are you seeing the same style there. Superheroic stuff is more about post-Cata WOW… and new Reforged intro where orc looks like marvel’s incredible hulk.

Well, Jaina’s hood or Furion’s staff isn’t something that grows straight out of their bodies and cannot be detached. So it’s not a lore question, but these are iconic Warcraft 3 features and I see no point in abandoning them.

I hope blizz takes our feedback in consideration and take the appropriate decisions …cause honestly i cried when i saw the trailer at blizzcon…and sadly now i have more concerns than hopes for the game

I kind of like the Jaina look though.
Your sketch makes it look like she is in her pajamas or something.

the kind of vibe she had during warcraft 3 wasnt the big powerful sorcerer of today,by that time she was just a girl who didnt wanted to be involved in all those things…a pijama would be more effective than a heavy armor…
isnt it contradictory that someone who famous quote is,i hate resorting to violence dresses like shes going to beat some butts?

yeah that one partial breastplate really is the straw that broke the camel’s back huh

the whole thing does, is inconsistent character creation, we don’t just throw things at a character because they look cool. just no.

we think…whats the personality of the character? what is the character going through?,what are his/her believes?..
and so on…many questions one have to ask before putting stuff randomly,while i think it makes sense for her now,as a powerful mage,and a leader of the kirin tor to use the breastplate and armor,back in the day,when she felt not like someone prepared for war,but more like someone who was forced into it…i think it doesnt.

You must be a hoot to watch in games with character customization with sentiments like that.

So like. The stuff that you get from how they’re written, how they’re voiced, and how they generally express themselves?

Cool, Blizzard doesn’t.